Ok so my headcanon for why Mary and Damien are so close (i.e. my special boy) is that they’ve known eachother forever - I’m talking since school/university, and they’ve always been best friends. Even when they both got married they made sure to call eachother almost every day and find time for “girls’ nights out.” But then a little while after Lucien was born Damien came to the full realisation that he was trans, and that he couldn’t live any longer without being his true self.
Somehow, while he was terrified to tell anyone, the idea of telling Mary made him the most anxious - even though she already accepted his growing gothic wardrobe, and his overwhelming love of dogs and graveyards. But he was scared that once he told her they would never be the same again, since he wouldn’t be her ‘best girlfriend’ anymore.
He waited, and waited, trying to find the right moment, to pluck up the courage. But if he couldn’t steel himself enough to watch Nightmare Before Christmas, then how the hell was he supposed to do this. Nevertheless, one day - when he’d lost count of how many times he’d gone into the basement to cry after hearing Lucien call him Mom, and he’d received yet another text from his best friend saying 'heeyyy *deadname* how are ya?’ - he went to her house to tell her.
She was quiet while he revealed everything, anxiously mentioning anything that seemed relevant to lessen the weight of the silence between them. He talked about how he felt as a child, and when Lucien was born; his nausea when wearing dresses and how much he’d cried recently; his ideas for a new name. And then, because of course they had to surface right now, his anxieties about what it would mean - how much he loved her, but how scared he was that he couldn’t be her best friend anymore.
When he’d finally stumbled to a halt - and she had that look on her face that meant she’d just been waiting for him to shut up - she said: 'No, you’re not my best girlfriend anymore. You’re my special boy.’ And she hugged him, so he burst into tears on her shoulder. From that moment on, she’d used that nickname to signify that she wasn’t fucking around when it came to their friendship (usually when Joseph got frustrated about how much time she spent with another man.)
She then helped him to come out to his husband, and to Lucien - and she sounded like she’d read fifty guides on how to come out to children, even though Damien thought she never read anything without romance or spies somewhere along the way. And a few days later, a package arrived at his door which turned out to be a Victorian-era appropriate binder - which he had no idea could exist. The invoice inside read Joseph Christiansen, but there was a note from Mary:
'Apparently these things are a bitch to get on and off. Let me know if ya get stuck and need rescuing, special boy. M xx’
And he knew things with Mary could never change.
- great hair but not the smartest cookie - everybody loves him - got drunk once and the story keeps getting wilder - precious - bad grades but A for effort
- not sure why he’s here - v. religious - wanted to be an astronaut when he grew up - salty - just wants to go home
- found out about the 60s and never moved on - everyone is worried about him - cynical - thinks everyone and everything is beautiful - is probably high
- thinks words like ”punk’d” and “rad” are “hip with the kids” - cries easily - tries too hard - wears clothes under his clothes like superman - good hair
- “because I said so” - the upgrade nobody wanted, like iOS8 or Windows 10 - thinks he’s better than you - is probably actually better than you - thinks he’s helping but is actually making a bigger mess
- ripped the heads off barbie dolls as a child - fav song is the barney parody of “joy to the world” - AlwAYs tExTS liKe tHiS OR IN ALL CAPS - smiles a lot and nobody is sure why - probably killed somebody and maybe ate them too
Castiel with a side of Nuts
- bees - just wants to play party games and eat PB&J with his friends - holding it together with dental floss and scotch tape - no verbal filter whatsoever - wants world peace and for every day to be pajama day
- bad at prioritizing - loner - contemplates life a lot - low self-esteem - just wants to do The Right Thing™
Steve from Gas ‘n Sip
- butterfingers - works a minimum wage job with no benefits - gives awkward high-fives - stares at people - can pull off Good Will Chic™
Daddy Totally Castiel (definitely not Lucifer)
- is either undressing you with his eyes or plotting your murder - likes disco and tells dad jokes unironically - gets sucked into addictive smartphone games easily - c o n f i d e n t - wants a puppy