*long post* Reasons for Akumatization
Reasons for Akumatization, and the underlying logic.
1. Stormy Weather- losing a contest (losing by a landslide; it is hurtful enough to lose, but to lose because she gave everything she got and no one cared, is far worse.)
• The final catalyst, however, was Alec’s insensitivity to her disappointment.
2. The Bubbler- Injustice (and frustration because those who were behind it were not punished for such injustice).
• This is usually experienced by minorities.
3. Mr. Pigeon- not?? feeding pigeons? (legit that’s it boy I wish I had his problems)
4. Timebreaker- destruction of an heirloom (failed responsibility and an unwillingness to blame herself)
5. Copycat- Jealousy (fear that the girl of his dreams found someone better)
6. Pharaoh- an unsympathetic father (an unwillingness to grow up into a world that seems too small without new discoveries and magic)
7. Lady Wifi- injustice (manipulation of the system by those with conventional power)
• And secondarily, a lack of someone who understands. Directly prior to being akumatized, Alya attempts to call Marinette, which attempt fails and goes to voicemail. Perhaps if she’d been able to contact her friend, it would have been harder to akumatize her.
8. Evillustrator- embarrassment in front of his crush (disruption of his secret dreams of glory and love, and mockery for ever having harbored them; a commentary on the mockery artists face every day for daring to believe in and create magic).
9. Rogercop- injustice (manipulation of the system by those with conventional power)
10. Dark Cupid- rejection in love (the girl of his dreams was not what he had thought she would be)
11. Horrificator- anxiety (desire to make others understand what she feels every day)
• As someone with anxiety, I can tell you that this is indeed something we think about a lot. People never seem to understand that we can’t just ‘stop being scared’, that it doesn’t work like that. One of my biggest wishes in life would be for someone to invent a process by which those without mental illnesses could temporarily experience the effects of mental illnesses. I believe it would greatly raise awareness of what mentally ill people learn to live with.
12. Darkblade- losing an election (manipulation of the system by those with conventional power).
• I’m sensing a theme here, and it’s spelled B-o-u-r-g-e-o-i-s-e.
13. The Mime- theft of a rightful possession (along with being framed, a man is not given a chance to clear his own name.)
14. Kung Food- losing an important contest (for reasons which were due to sabotage, not lack of skill. Injustice.)
15. The Gamer- losing an important contest (having a confirmation made to a deep-set sense of inferiority)
• This show addresses so many psychological issues okay reason #25675 why I love it
16. Animan- anger at Kim (a mocker who refused to listen to facts and wOULDN’T SHUT UP)
• Not developed as deeply but still equally valid.
17. Vanisher- being betrayed (having a deep sense of inferiority confirmed)
• Chloe created this, sustained it, and finally pushed it over the edge. Constant betrayal by a best friend one can’t escape is enough to drive anyone mad.
• I also find it intriguing that we didn’t get to hear what Hawkmoth said to convince her. She always gets overshadowed and made to look hollow by Chloe- it is ironic that she was the one given the privilege of having her most secret source of pain kept secret.
17. Antibug- being ignored (for once she actually had the correct information, but no one ever bothers to listen to her, not even her hero)
• Ironically, Chloe and Sabrina suffer from the same psychological problem, but they deal with it in extremely different ways. Sabrina shrinks inwards, Chloe pushes everyone away.
18. The Puppeteer- being denied something she wanted (not only a doll, but the attention of her mother, the loss of which colors her view, making every little wrong she experiences seem vastly more unfair and terrible).
• I thought this one was going to be less deep since she’s a child, but NO.
19. Reflekta- being left out of a photo (was given hope of finally being noticed by somebody, and then had it ripped away-that’s enough to make anyone dangerous).
20. Guitar Villain- being insulted on TV (having his years of work stomped upon and ruined by a young upstart with none of the good qualities of the man he’s attempting to ‘replace’)
• Best explained by a quote from the show itself…. “Not only is that person a fake, he’s a terrible fake.”
21. Pixelator: being denied a photo with his favorite star (although denying someone the pursuit of their obsession is healthy for them, they do not always see it that way).
• I think this is the only time that someone got akumatized because the RIGHT thing was done to them.
22. Simon Says: being insulted (and cheated of an opportunity to better himself in life and show what he was made of)
• Not only was he denied the chance to ‘show off’ his talent to thousands of people, but his appearance on the show could theoretically have gotten him a job or two.
23. Princess Fragrance: being mocked for being affectionate (she loved a famous boy not only for his looks, but for who he was inside; her love was mocked and prevented by a girl who only wanted him for his fame).
• The most pure and unusual kind of celebrity crush, vs. the most common.
24. Volpina: her lies were exposed (a girl who felt a dearth in her life tried to make up for it by creating a perfect life for herself and passing it off as her real one).
• At first glance, this makes Ladybug seem like a jerk. But there is a name for what Lila was doing. It’s called maladaptive daydreaming, and is a symptom of multiple mental disorders.
25. Stoneheart: being mocked by Kim (he already feels hopeless to pursue his love, but this was salt in the wound)
26. Stoneheart: being mocked AND the girl he loves being afraid of him (he feared that she would never love him for who he was anyway, but it only makes it far worse to know that he scares her.)
• He loves her immensely and wants her to be safe, but the very person he is would unsettle her every day, so he would be hurting her in the very way he wants to protect her from. A sad and beautiful paradox.