The Vegetarian Survival Guide to Summer BBQs
(Grilled corn and portobello burger)
Just because you’re a vegetarian doesn’t mean you have to fill up on salads and sides at barbecues this summer. There are plenty of vegetarian and vegan friendly options out there – you just have to know where to look. To help you survive National Barbecue Month and grilling season, we’ve hand selected 10 absolutely delicious vegetarian recipes – from burgers to kebabs to grilled pizza, and yes, even, salad.
1. Grilled portobello & peach burgers – This recipe combines some of our favorite summer produce – tomatoes, peaches and avocadoes – to create a fun take on a veggie burger. The burger in this case is a marinated portobello mushroom, and toppings include guacamole. Get the recipe at GreenKitchenStories.com.
2. Grilled veggie banh mi sandwiches – The banh mi sandwich is usually all about meat – but it doesn’t have to be. To fit in with the barbecue theme, this sammie features grilled veggies, including purple (!) bell peppers among other “exotic” veggies. Get the recipe at OhMyVeggies.com.
3. Tofu and sweet pepper shish kebabs – Who doesn’t love shish kebabs? Or any food on a stick, for that matter. We love that these tofu kebabs can be grilled or baked so you can enjoy them all year round. Plus, there’s also a recipe here for homemade BBQ sauce. Get the recipe at PBS.org.
(Avocado tacos and grilled tomatoes)
4. Grilled tomatoes with basil vinaigrette – This yummy recipe was featured in a few roundups around the web, and we couldn’t resist including it in ours. Red and yellow tomatoes drizzled with olive oil and thrown on the grill? Yum! Get the recipe at MyRecipes.com.
5. Grilled corn with chipotle-lime butter – The great thing about corn on the cob is that it’s already vegetarian, but this recipe adds a flavorful flair by combining adobo and chipotle peppers to the butter topping. We’ll take two! Get the recipe at Delish.com.
6. Grilled avocado tacos – Why should barbecues be limited to hamburgers and hotdogs? We think tacos are a great addition; and grilled tacos with avocado and queso fresco are even better. Get the recipe at OhSweetBasil.com.
(Long weekend salad and herb garden pizza)
7. Grilled herb garden pizza – Pizza on the grill sounds enticing – topping it with fresh tomatoes and herbs is even more delectable. You can make your own dough or buy it prepared and add all the toppings your heart desires. Get the recipe at LoveandLemons.com.
8. Grilled potatoes – Potato chips are a staple at any BBQ, and these grilled spuds from SkinnyTaste are both delicious and healthy. Even better, they take about 10 minutes to make – that gets our stamp of approval. Get the recipe at SkinnyTaste.com.
9. Tomatoes stuffed with cannellini and couscous – Ok, there are a lot of tomatoes on this list – but there’s so much you can do with them. In this case, grilled tomatoes are stuffed with cannellini beans and roasted garlic couscous. But you know what? You can stuff ‘em with whatever you want! Get the recipe at Recipes.Rodale.com.
10. Long weekend grilled salad – Summer is all about long weekends, right? This unconventional salad features grilled corn, zucchini, and peppers, mixed up with beans, a tasty dressing and more. I think we could eat this every day. Get the recipe at OhSheGlows.com.
You Might Also Like…
What are your favorite vegetarian and vegan BBQ recipes?