So i saw a picture of steamtale grillby and I thought that maybe grillby would be more of a furnace or something putting out the heat sorce then just have his cloths in different colors per say. I like how it turned out!
1. The initial vision of Max was strictly a machine with no head. All body with a gyro-stabilizer bottom.
2. Here we see the introduction of multiple arms. The gyro-stabilizer is now replaced with a mace bottom, somewhat similar to the Black Hole’s Old B.O.B.’ s droid design. Here we begin to see the beginning stages of Max’s head.
3. A more colorful computer panel approach. He was to be equipped with a heavy duty rotating arm, but without hovering abilities.
4. In this version Maximilian had multiple arms and electronic connectors to control the starship. The studio wanted a more human robot formation with legs. They were thinking of putting an actor inside of him.
5. One of the final sketches. When the studio saw McGinnis designs with the leg thrusters for Max to hover. They immediately changed their minds on using an actor inside.
6. The finished version of our hovering red hulking bodyguard. The iconic glowing eyes, fins and not pictured here, his concealed sharp spinning propeller.
WHAT MAXILIAN COULD HAVE BEEN
The designer McGinnis wasn’t satisfied with the finished version. He wanted something much more sinister. As in sketch 5, Maximilian was to be black with some greenish cast to represent its joints. There would have also been sharpened silver points along Max’s side (which were omitted). Also Max’s thrusters would glow in flight and had the ability to move his fins as stabilizers to lower his elevation. McGinnis wanted a circuit look for its head with a plexiglass dome and glowing diodes and little electronic pinpoints under it.