So, instead of advising you to spam strangers, here’s how I would use LinkedIn if I were a college student to get a job or internship:
1) Make your profile awesome (duh).
2) Request to connect as many people from your imported contacts list or the “people you may know” feature as possible.
3) Commit to adding connections on the platform once a week or so for 2-3 months, until you build up to a few hundred connections.
4) Use the handy “How You’re Connected” tool to identify the intermediaries between you and the people you’re interested in meeting.
5) Reach out to the intermediaries and ask them if they’d be willing to introduce you to the target you’ve identified.
See the full list here.