1. NEVER wash your hair everyday. Go at least on day without washing your hair. It makes a HUGE difference. If you are someone who has to shower every day because you work out or other things, take your shower without wetting your hair and instead use DRY SHAMPOO AND CONDITIONER. WHY: the natural oils in your hair come from the scalp. With straight or wavy hair the oil can easily travel down the hair shaft with no problem. Curly hair however is full of kinks and twists that make it harder for the oils to reach the ends of your hair. Thats why curly hair does not get greasy as easily. MOISTURE HELPS AVOID FRIZZ!!!
2. DO NOT USE SHAMPOOS AND CONDITIONERS WITH ALCOHOL OR SULFATES!!!!!! This can go for everyone. They dry out your hair and can actually damage it. That Garnier Fructise that smells so good? Yeah, no. It sucks. Dont use it. AND NEVER EVER EVER USE PANTENE!!
3. IF YOU STRAIGHTEN YOUR HAIR USE HEAT PROTECTION SPRAY!!! Cannot stress that enough. Damaged hair cannot be saved and must be cut off. If you can avoid straightening then do it, wear natural hair 90% of the time. With these tips youll be able to!! IF YOU MUST STRAIGHTEN YOUR HAIR: wash it before you do because you’ll want to go 3-4 days before washing it again. This will allow your hair to heal and restore natural oils. The night before you wash it apply leave in conditoner or some moisturizing oil and sleep with it in. This will help heal the hair and keep it soft and smooth.
4. HAIRSTYLES: you can wear your hair down a lot. Curls wont always look good after sleeping on them so you may want to put it up on the days you dont wash it. I braid my hair a lot on days i dont wash it. I also use the half up hair style a lot. And since my curls arent too tight and kinky i can wear a ponytail. But for a longer looking pony tail i use a banana clip.
5. THERE ARE REALLY GOOD PRODUCTS OUT THERE FOR CURLY HAIR. The best are Redken, Deva Curl, and Pureology. Redken and Pureology are amazing too if your hair is color treated at all. Buy shampoos and conditioner for curly hair. Or one can be just moisturizing. I use pureology curl complete conditioner, A deva curl hair scrunch gel, and a pureology split end salve (a leave in conditioner) they work wonders. I also use redken Diamond Oil. This stuff is amazing but expensive. I get a good price because of my sister.
BUT. if you cant afford those there are cheaper options available at cvs or the grocery store. CHEAPER OPTIONS include Organics and Nexxus. These are more expensive than other options but they are much cheaper than salon quality products with similar effects. both these brands offer leave in conditioners and oils for your hair. I personally use Organics Coconut Milk shampoo because it is very moisturizing. Nexxus Ultimate Moisture conditioner is amazing as well.
6. DONT USE TOO MUCH CONDITIONER! if you have curly hair you do need a decent amount. However using too much can make even your hair look and feel greasy or crusty. Use just enough to get you by. Conditioner is your best friend. Dont abuse it.
7. Get regular hair cuts. At least every 3 months. You can just get a trim but getting rid of split ends can save you from potentially going bald!
8. Finally, LOVE YOUR HAIR!! its gorgeous! Take this advice from one curly girl and use it to work MIRACLES!