“How To Study.”
A tale told by a physics student. I am really bad at studying. Which explains my somewhat average grades. But i know how to study effectively and realistically have success with studying. Nobody ever teaches you HOW to study, they just tell you to study. So here is how i do it (most of the time)
There are two ways of going at it.
- Stress studying. (studying for exams just the day before and putting as much information in your head as possible just to forget everything right before the exam)
- Actual studying. (taking the time you have and study at least 4 hours a day 3 work days a week, and actually get the success that you deserve)
It’s bad for you, your health, and a big cause of bee colony collapse disorder (Don’t ask why). Realistically you’re gonna pass your exams 1 out of 3 or 4 times, and it is just not worth it. It doesn’t just reflect on your grades but also on your work ethic. (which is real bad for your future)
What you need is:
- Studying utensils (quality notebooks and good pens).
- A clean and tidy Studying environment.
Time - It’s really simple, plan 4 hours a day of studying 3 work days a week. Don’t be like “But dude! When will i have time for my personal stuff?” seriously. A typical day has 24 hours, If you go to sleep at midnight and wake up at 7 or 8 (that’s 7-8 hours of sleep) you have 17-18 hours left to your day.
4 hours of that is just 23%, taking in account you’d do it at least 3 work days a week it would be just 7% (and a little more) of your precious workday time. So it’s worth it. Totally worth it. Don’t ruin your work ethic just because you want to spent 7% more time on tumblr.
Studying Utensils - I cannot stress enough how important good notebooks and good pens and stuff are. I suffered a lot from this, i wouldn’t take notes, and write down stuff because of how awful it looked on cheap paper with bic pens (no offense bic, your lighters are awesome tho).
It’s not cheap tho, but at least buy good notebooks with that metal round thingy holding it (i.d.k the name of it in English). And go Black instead of Blue, Black pens all the way. Use sharpies instead of the usual stuff, or at least gel ink pens, the smoother it goes the better, and blue pens are an abomination, every knowledgeable person in the past ages has written in black. Oh, and fineliners.
A clean and tidy Studying environment - You have a desk? Yes? Good. Throw everything you have on it to the ground (except you laptop, you wouldn’t drop a baby, would you?). Get a desk lamp, no matter how bright your room is, you need a concentrated stream of light allowing the photons reflecting from the ink on your books to transfer the information successfully to your brain, and desk lamps boost concentration. Make that a working environment, only use that desk when you’re studying (no exceptions) and once you do that, every time you sit by your desk you will automatically start to work.
Discipline - You want to be full on motivated :D ??? Well f*** you cause that’s not happening >:D
Discipline is what you’re looking for. Full on military stuff, just like back in good old communism. Discipline guarantees you success, motivation leads to incoherent success which includes utterly common instances of failure.
I mean look at the definitions:
mōdəˈvāSH(ə)n/ - noun
- the reason or reasons one has for acting or behaving in a particular way.
- the general desire or willingness of someone to do something.
Will you rely on luck and willingness or reason? No, luck and willingness pass, they are not consistent and for every reason there are at least 10 excuses. Don’t be a silly excuse for your failed academic success.
ˈdisəplən/ - noun
- The practice of training people to obey rules or a code of behavior, using punishment to correct disobedience.
- A branch of knowledge, typically one studied in higher education.
 - The only punishment you’ll receive is academic failure, and not reaching your true, deserving recognition for your true intelligence and social worth just because of laziness caused by day to day stress is punishment enough, i think.
Discipline yourself, push yourself. Don’t wait for something so relative, so passing as motivation. If you’re gonna do something, STAND THE f*** UP AND DO IT.
Just remember RWSR.