What are some of your favourite med school mnemonics? (5 weeks out from finals haha)
I was a big fan of the shortcut way to draw the brachial plexus, though I don’t remember it perfectly now. Unfortunately I remember more mnemonics than what they’re supposed to stand for.
Other faves include:
- Learn one. The other one’s the other one. - Goljan’s wise advice on learning the difference between 2 things. This is how I distinguish pemphigus and pemphigoid.
- the R-rated version of the cranial nerves. I’ll just abbreviate OOOTTAFVGVAH. I still run through that one.
- Some Say Marry Money But My Brother Says Big Boobs Matter More (remembering which cranial nerves are sensory, motor, or both)
- I remember on renal drawing Hydrogen and potassium ions on a seesaw to remember how they moved in relationship to each other
- There was definitely a weird one to remember the glycogen storage diseases, but I’ve never had to use that one so I’ve forgotten.
- SpIN and SnOUT - for specificity and sensitivity, which rules in and which rules out
- SIG E CAPS - symptoms of depression - Sleep disturbance, loss of Interest, Guilt, loss of Energy, poor Concentration, Anhedonia, Psychomotor retardation, Suicidality
- MUDPILES - things that cause anion gap metabolic acidosis
- DUMBBELS - cholinergic overdose symptoms - Diarrhea, Urination, Miosis, Bronchorrhea, Bradycardia, Emesis, Lacrimation, Sweating/Salivation
- DIAPPERS - causes of urinary incontinence - Delirium, Infection, Atrophic Vaginitis, Pharmaceuticals, Psych, Excessive urine output, Reduced mobility, Stool impaction
- Dry as a bone, hot as hades, blind as a bat, red as a beet, mad as a hatter - effects of anticholinergic drugs
- wet, wacky, wobbly - symptoms of normal pressure hydrocephalus
- bones, groans, stones, and psychic moans- symptoms of hypercalcemia
- VEAL CHOP - fetal monitoring (put the words on top of each other)- Variable = Cord compression; Early Decel = Head compression; Acceleration = O2; Late Decel = Placental insufficiency
- social history on kids and teenagers: HEADDSSS - Home, Education, Activities, Drugs, Depression, Safety, Sex, Suicide