“To say I love Los Angeles is to say I love its shadows and nightlights, its meandering streets, the stretch of sunset-colored beaches. It’s to say I love the squawking wild parrots, the palm trees that fail to topple in robust winds, that within a half hour of L.A.’s center you can cavort in snow, deserts, mountains, beaches.
If it were May, hydrangeas and jacaranda flowers in the streetside trees would be blooming through the smog of late spring. Wisteria in Masuda’s front yard would be shaking out the long tresses of its purple hair. Maybe mosquitoes, moths, or a few orange butterflies settling on the lattice of monkey flowers tangled in chain-link fences by the trash.
But this is November, and Los Angeles seethes like a billboard under twilight. From used-car lots and the movie houses uptown, a brilliant fluorescence breaks out and makes war with the dim squares of yellow kitchen light winking on in all the side streets of the Barrio “
1. Old friends pass away, new friends appear. It is just like the days. An old day passes, a new day arrives. The important thing is to make it meaningful: a meaningful friend - or a meaningful day.
2. Every day, think as you wake up, today I am fortunate to be alive, I have a precious human life, I am not going to waste it. I am going to use all my energies to develop myself, to expand my heart out to others; to achieve enlightenment for the benefit of all beings. I am going to have kind thoughts towards others, I am not going to get angry or think badly about others. I am going to benefit others as much as I can.
3. Remember that the best relationship is one in which your love for each other exceeds your need for each other.
4. Silence is sometimes the best answer.
5. Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them, humanity cannot survive.
6. Know the rules well, so you can break them effectively.
7. If a problem is fixable, if a situation is such that you can do something about it, then there is no need to worry. If it’s not fixable, then there is no help in worrying. There is no benefit in worrying whatsoever.
8. This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.
9. Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck.
10. People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they’re not on your road doesn’t mean they’ve gotten lost.
11. Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible.
Every time you
tell your daughter
you yell at her
out of love
you teach her to confuse
anger with kindness
which seems like a good idea
till she grows up to
trust men who hurt her
cause they look so much
In fact, if one person is unkind to an animal it is considered to be cruelty, but where a lot of people are unkind to animals, especially in the name of commerce, the cruelty is condoned and, once large sums of money are at stake, will be defended to the last by otherwise intelligent people.
When we get angry, we suffer. If you really understand that, you also will be able to understand that when the other person is angry, it means that she is suffering. When someone insults you or behaves violently towards you, you have to be intelligent enough to see that the person suffers from his own violence and anger. But we tend to forget. We think that we are the only one that suffers, and the other person is our oppressor.
Here’s a photo of my little pal, Heavy B. as a sort of virtual hug to those of us who could use one today. 😽
There’s nothing quite like spending time with animals, big and small. Compassion is the fashion, especially now. We need to extend compassion and kindness to our animal friends as well as each other. Please keep this in mind when making choices for yourself (food, clothing, makeup/hygienic items, household cleaning products, etc). Making small, compassionate choices has a huge impact on the lives of others and our planet. Please think about how the choices YOU make effect life. If we all take baby steps in these areas we can make the world a better place for all beings! ✌🏾️💞🌎😺🦃🐮🐷🐶🤔
To love everyone unconditionally does not mean to give everyone your unconditional time. Sometimes, to love completely, we must never see someone again. This, too, is love. This is giving someone the freedom to exist and be happy, even if it must be without you.