This community though...
To all the Simmers who have left recently due to anonymous bullying, I am sorry you had to face that. My personal opinions on you aside there is no reason people should be that cruel. None. If someone thought you wronged them they should have come to you privately like an adult and worked it out.
This community has a lot of younger members yet I have met some recently who despite being a decade younger than myself show maturity and common courtesy that far outstrips so much of what goes on here.
Just in case you forgot how to adult, here are some tips:
-Don’t be a bully. I don’t care what someone did, which one of your friends they offended, etc. There is no reason EVER to tell someone to kill themselves, call them names, and bully them anonymously. None.
-If someone wrongs you go to them privately. Don’t air it publicly, don’t get you friends involved, and don’t immediately attack them. Be civil and speak to them as a fellow human being. You’ll find that 99% of the time it’s a simple misunderstanding and the other 1% can usually be resolved with compromise anyway.
-If someone wrongs a friend of yours STAY THE HECK OUT OF IT. Seriously. It’s none of your business. You can support your friend, talk to them and give them strength and a shoulder but don’t contact the other person. Are we five? No. Let your friend deal with it. If they handle it with maturity it should work out.
-If you don’t like how someone plays their game or don’t like the game they play get over it. Guys…there are 4 main games in this series some of us are fans of all and others are fans of just one and everything in between. Playstyles are amazingly varied in this community and that ROCKS. What goes on in someone else’s computer really has nothing to do with you. Just enjoy the fact that this gigantic community exists for a hobby we all share.
-Don’t assume. It makes an ass out of…okay that saying has been overused but seriously it’s true. If you assume something about someone you will likely be wrong. Even if you’re right it’s better to hear from them and get their perspective than it is to just take your own preconceived notions and run with them.
-If all else fails, use the block button, ignore, turn off anon, and go your separate ways. If you truly cannot work it out in any way, shape, or form there’s a handy block button on Tumblr and most other social media networks. Use it. If you’re being anonymously bullied and it won’t stop turn off anon. They clearly aren’t brave enough to bully you without the mask of anonymity. If it’s annoying but not overwhelming just ignore it. There’s no reason to respond to something that isn’t seriously bothering you. If the actions are incredibly severe or someone is threatening you REPORT THEM. Even if it’s anonymous you can report it and if it’s a serious enough offense they will get in trouble.
-If you decide to send anon hate, stop. Seriously, is it really worth it to take the time out of your day and hurt someone? Really? No. It’s not. It’s a kind of immaturity and cruelty that you should have grown out of by primary school.
In short? Don’t. Be. A. Freaggin’. Dick.
I hate to see people leave this community but it happens every single day. If more people would just stop and think before they type a lot of these losses could be prevented.
Remember, there are buttholes in every community but there are also those who feel differently. If ever you need a listening ear or a supportive shoulder my inbox is 100% open.
EDITED TO ADD: Also, if you have in the past indulged in one of these behaviours, don’t beat yourself up over it. Learn from it, don’t do it again. Everyone makes mistakes and does stupid things, that doesn’t make you a bad person. Grow and learn from as much of your life as you can.