Daniel Pelka was four years of age when he died from a head injury on the 3 March 2012. Daniel often suffered abuse from his mother, Magdalena Łuczak, and her boyfriend Mariusz Krężołek. His abuse included being starved, beaten, locked in a room, force-fed salt, and having his head held under bath water until he fell unconscious. Doctors described Daniel as looking like ’a concentration camp victim’ because of his weight. At the time of his death, he weighed one stone nine pounds - the average weight of an 18-month-old baby.
Whilst in school, Daniel’s lunch was only half a sandwich and reports claimed he tried to eat food from school bins. A teaching assistant told the court that Daniel had wanted to eat “muddy and dirty” pancakes which had been on the floor. Daniel’s school had been told by Magdalena that he was being treated for a rare eating disorder and school staff were not to feed him. They complied, but, police believe this was a lie to cover up Magdalena starving him. His sibling, who’s not been named, would often ask for extra food and would hide it for Daniel. The sibling also told the court that Daniel wasn’t allowed to leave his bedroom to use the bathroom. He had to defecate in his bed, which was a “very thin” mattress according to police. The only other thing inside Daniel’s room was heavily stained urine carpet. A detective on the case said that Daniel would spend winters in the cold room with no heating. His bedroom door had no handle, instead, there was a child’s handprint.
Magdalena and Mariusz were both sentenced to life imprisonment after being found guilty of Daniel’s murder on 31 July 2013. On 14 July 2015, Magdalena committed suicide in prison, a day before what would have been Daniel’s eighth birthday. She had hung herself. On 27 January 2016, Mariusz was found dead in his prison cell. He had also committed suicide.
Indie rock band Little Comets dedicated their song “Salt” to Daniel. You can listen to it here. [x|x]
ahem ahem *taps microphone* yes yes hello today i shall spin you guys some good tales about a few of my community theatre shenanigans *stacks papers* let us begin
okay last year the summer musical was Beauty and the Beast, and I got to play LeFou. So, here’s an itemized list of all the backstage antics that took place during that summer *sweet jesus*
• we actually didn’t think this show was even gonna turn out like come tech week we were not even ready; we were working with a cast of like 43 kids and like the set was like 70% done and like none of the little kids were listening to their CD’s; Like we had to rehearse during our dark night until like 9:40 it was i n s a n e; but then like *poof* some crazy disney princess pixie dust magic got sprinkled and we ended up selling out to a sold out crowd all three nights
• our choreographer has a tattoo of a barcode on the back of his neck and a few of us downloaded barcode scanning apps on our phones and tried to sneak up behind him and scan his neck
• I got to steal a giant plastic lobster from the fisherman during belle
• all of the smol children in this show were like “you got games on yo phone” and would hunt you down if you did
• for the gaston finale we had plastic mugs and we clinked them to the beat of the song and it was amazing; barcode man was a genius for coming up with that one
• my costume in this show consisted of blue/green/yellow plaid knickerbockers, a vest with fairly deep pockets, and… *sigh* a bowl cut wig *hello darkness my old friend plays in the distance*
• all the cast parties were held at the Lafayette Hotel, and they had both a pasta bar and a sundae bar (10/10 lasaga)
• the guy who played gaston in this show was like 6'4 and he could literally drag my tiny 5'3 ass around and we ended up making a lot of cool stunts out of it; we made probably the best gaston/lefou duo this community theater has ever seen (also this guy never learned his lines/music until tech and smelled like ravioli like 40% of the time)
• the cast party after the sunday matinee was like in this big ballroom and there was an audio system for like the whole frickin room. we were able to locate an aux cord and i was able to DJ the party with my spicy tunes (it was basically like all star, rock me amadeus, and the gym battle vs turkey video and that’s it)
• the socks I wore as LeFou are currently tacked to my wall above my lil theatre shelf
• during the saturday performance my phone was in my vest pocket for like the entire first act; its a true miracle that it didn’t fall out during gaston
• also my homie @nochillian gave me a stuffed lion after closing night which was like super psychic because my next play was wizard of oz, and I was gonna end up playing the lion. #spook. I have a B U N C H of amazing stories from that show too, but I shall create another post for that show if my meme minions desire