A companion piece to:Slippery Slope So.. Nevena realising her feelings for Cullen is a bit different to him realising them for her. Idk. I like it. Different perspective.
Read moring - is longer.
Finding ten minutes of quiet solitude in Haven was rare but not unheard of. Finding twenty minutes was practically a miracle and anything longer than that deemed impossible, unless the person seeking the quiet had somewhere to go.
Nevena had found such a place shortly after arriving in Haven and after her first attempt at sealing the Breach had failed. She had been walking - exploring - what was to be her new home. The village and the Chantry, looking for weak points, for places that were easy to escape from in case something went wrong and she needed to leave quickly.
Her search for an escape route had been before she had got to know those around her, and slowly started to trust them. At first she had considered herself only a means to an end to them, and that she would be threatened with Tranquillity or execution by Cassandra if she did not produce results.
Months had passed since then, and her opinion of them all had changed. She no longer sought escape from these people, she found she enjoyed being around them, craved their company. She only sought silence and calmness once in a while, a few hours to sit and clear her mind.
The room underneath the Chantry was perfect for that.
It was small and had probably belonged to the Chantry’s cleric before the Inquisition had arrived and taken over. It was well lit when the candles were burning and had selection of bookshelves lined end-to-end with literature. Most of it religious commentary on Andraste and Andrastianism, but there were a handful of history books and fictional adventures stories that Nevena had slowly been working through.
No one ever came down into the Chantry’s underbelly. There was no need to. There was nothing important down there, just old pots and artefacts and the jail. Nevena avoided the jail, she did not have fond memories of it and it filled her with a certain sense of dread just to go near it.
Of course, being what she was, who she was to the people gathered at Haven, she could never disappear for longer than a few hours. So whenever she did, she ensured at least one person - usually Varric - knew where she would be so he could fetch her if she was needed urgently.
Occasionally she would hear things from upstairs, footsteps and voices, sometimes raised in the heat of conversation but she would never move from her spot until she was summoned or until she felt she’d been gone too long and should make an appearance.
That day though it was different.
The door that led downstairs slammed shut and that was the first thing that grabbed her attention. If Varric came to find her, he closed the door. Never let it slam. And this slam was purposeful, like the person who had been holding the door had slammed it themselves rather than let the hinges do the work.
As Nevena had risen to her feet, putting her book to one side she heard the footsteps descend the stone stairs hurriedly. Then the rattle of the low hanging candelabra intermingled with shouts and curses. She knew the sound because she had hit her head on the damn thing several times herself.
She peered around the door, curious to see the source of the noise and looked just in time to see Cullen slamming a fist into the stone wall several times, his head supported in his left hand.
To say he looked tense was an understatement.
Even under his armour and his bear fur mantel she could tell how tightly wound he was. His jaw was set, clenched together. His hair was a mess where he had been running his hands through it and there was a thin sheen of sweat on his face that shone in the swaying light of the flames.
Nevena approached him steadily. She knew him better now they had settled their differences. The two of them were on friendlier terms and she no longer saw him as just a Templar, but that didn’t mean she couldn’t be wary. Especially when he was in armed and wearing heavy armour.
The sound of her footsteps caught his attention, he dropped his hand from his face and peered over his shoulder. He was squinting.
“What are you doing down here?” Cullen snapped.
“I could ask you the same thing.” Nevena retorted pausing in her approach. His expression flickered, pain clear on his features until he masked it. Exhaling, Nevena shook her head and moved towards him more purposefully. “What’s wrong?” She asked with genuine concern.
Scandal Review: You Can't Take Command, Episode 4x22
I promised I’d write a Scandal finale review so here I am.
It’s funny how going into an episode of a show with your expectations at Ground Zero can often allow you to enjoy said show. This was my experience with Scandal last night. Not that there weren’t issues and huge plot holes, because by God they were there, but everything else was sufficiently ok enough for me to not care as much about them as I would have had some major things not gone down with this episode.
Anyway, let’s go.
What I Hated
1. Jake. Always Jake.
That will never change.
I’d love to think that he’s gone from the show, but we all know that Shonda loves him too much to write him out . I just hope that next season they pair him up with somebody else and keep him out of OPA business so I can continue to fast-forward all his scenes. Here’s an idea, why not pair him up with Mellie? Listen, this is Scandal, it doesn’t have to make sense.
2. The fact that the majority of the stuff that happened on the episode wouldn’t bear up to close scrutiny.
3. Somehow Huck on his own can kill sixteen people on a bus, but he couldn’t find Command and just fucking slit his throat?
4. Rowan: “You’ll go down, your husband will go down. It will be a bloodbath.”
Mellie not telling Fitz the moment Rowan threatened her with blackmail was the worst decision ever. I thought they were a partnership? A team? Fitz confided in her when Olivia was taken, why couldn’t she be honest and have enough common sense to do the same with Fitz?
5. Fitz’s reason for finally throwing Mellie out.
I need to understand better what was going on here. Was he mad because he thought that Mellie had changed only to have evidence that she was just as conniving and as self-serving as she ever was?
Was he mad because those 16 jurors died because of Mellie? If so, Dude you sent your country to war for one woman. The families of those soldiers will still be grieving.
If I’m honest, the only explanation that even comes close to being organic would be the discovery that this partnership that he thought he was building with Mellie was merely a figment of his imagination brought on by guilt. I’d like to believe that had Mellie actually gone to him and talked to him about Rowan’s blackmail, he’d have been fine. I’d like to think that he sent Mellie packing because she simply couldn’t be trusted to not undermine him at every turn. That I would buy. What I got, left me scratching my head, while I was happy that Mellie was finally being given her marching orders, the disjointed-ness was what I struggled with.
6. The show seemingly forgetting that Big Jerry told Mellie about Remington about night he raped her, so her ignorance when it was mentioned was a tad ridiculous.
7. Maya Pope being released
Initially I was really happy that Maya was back, I assumed that she’d be the one to save her child, but that conversation with Olivia happened, and I discovered that the mother-daughter bonding that I was hoping for was a pointless dream. Shonda wasn’t going to give Olivia at least one parent who wasn’t a total assbag.
8. The Human Vibrator casually mentioning that B613 was responsible for a school shooting to distract the public from what the administration were doing.
9. The fact that Lizzie is now Chief of Staff.
In what world would that ever happen? Doesn’t Fitz know that she was schtupping Andrew? That she was trying to bring him down? That she pretty much has no loyalty to him?
10. The fact that Rowan went specifically to Mellie to ask for those list of Grand Juror names:
Especially when they were all on the same bus anyway so their names were irrelevant? Command sees all, and is all powerful yet somehow he needed little ole Mellie to get those names for him? What the fuck? And without David? Really?
11. Jake offering to run away with Olivia again.
What a douche. Running solves nothing you idiot.
What I Liked
1. Rowan taking Mellie’s hand and Mellie looking like she’d just been slimed.
2. Rowan: “Ask me what I need”
Rowan showing pictures of Mellie and Andrew getting it on was the best. The look on her face when she discovered that Rowan had some righteous dirt on her?
Remember this boob grab that totally missed the mark?
3. Damascus Bainbridge?
Rowan really has a God complex.
4. Rowan: "Does it interest you?“ Mellie: ”It does.“
This made me laugh out loud.
5. Fitz being supportive of Mellie
Still love that he’s no longer being a douchebag to her, even if she deserves it.
6. Mellie: ”I am the First Lady of the United States.. Rowan: “That’s not going to work on me so don’t bother, ask me what I need.
7. David: “State your name for the record.” THV: “Jake Ballard” David: ”Is that your given name?“ THV: ”No“
Did anybody else peep that Jake isn’t his real name? Just me then? Oh well…
8. Fitz: ”Do you think I’ll make a good president?“ Olivia: ”I think you’ll make a great president.“
Loved the Olitz flashbacks. Olitz when they weren’t a toxic mess was everything.
9. Olivia: ”We have one goal, to bring down B613 and to bring down my father. To do what is right. So you tell the truth. The whole truth. No matter what happens, no matter who gets hurt.“
10. "Fitz. "If it weren’t for you, Susan would never have made it to the Oval Office. I blame you for Susan by the way.” Olivia: “Susan is a national treasure” Fitz: "Susan’s a muppet.“ Olivia: *Laughs* "She’s amazing” Fitz: “No seriously, you picked a good one. You always do.”
I love whenever Fitz recognizes how brilliant Olivia is.
11. Fitz: “What’s wrong?” Olivia: "I just wanted to say hello. And good luck with Mellie’s election. And congratulations on the Brandon Bill. That’s….That is the man I voted for. I’m proud of you.“ Fitz: "Liv, I’m grateful. Thank you.” Olivia: “Goodbye Fitz.”
I’m not gonna lie when I heard this conversation, I became way more optimistic about how the show was going to end. I’ve watched Shonda’s shows enough to know that if an OTP is miserable in the first few moments of the show, they’re going to be in a better place by the end of it, and vice versa.
12. Huck; "Liv, something happened.“
I know I wasn’t the only person who was dreading who was dead. When Liv was shaking at the crime scene, I thought it might have been Quinn, then David came out and puked, and I was pretty happy to realize that the slaughtered people were the jurors, and not anybody significant. It was obviously not going to be THV, so I was happy that Shonda didn’t kill anybody else off.
13. Lizzie: ”That list of names, it was those jurors, they’re all dead.“. Mellie: "STOP TALKING!”
That right there was justification for Lizzie selling Mellie out to Fitz later. let Mellie be Mellie, she can’t do anything right.
14. David. "While I live for justice, I don’t want to die for it.“
15. Mellie rushing around like a headless chicken in a blind panic.
Yep, she’ll make a great senator. Always so much grace under fire.
16. Mellie: ”Cyrus. I killed those grand jurors.“
Oh Mellie, you are such a dumbass.
17. Olivia: ”I’m so angry that I’m vibrating. I can feel it in my bones.“ Jake: "Ok…” Olivia: “Don’t hug me! I’m sick of being comforted. I’m sick of fighting and losing. I’m sick of him being in my way. I am not his victim. I am not his child. And right now? Right now I don’t want to gladiate for everyone else. I want this. I want this. This is mine, Jake. I want what’s mine. I’m owed! And watch me take it! And then, for once in his life, he’s the scared kid and I’m command and he’s got nothing, no one. He’s trapped because you can’t take Command, right?” Jake: “Right.”
I love how passionate Liv was here. She was so over it.
18. Maya: "I’m living out the rest of my days in this cell, you call that winning?“
19. Olivia;”It’s always about you isn’t it?… Did your father and I never tell you that you were special enough when you were little? Did we not give you enough hugs?“
Mama Pope stays being almost as bad as her husband. Girl, the two of you abandoned your child when she was twelve years old, you don’t get to remonstrate her for being flawed now.
At least Maya gave her some interesting information at the end of that conversation.
20. Cyrus not giving two fucks about Mellie’s predicament.
He’s still salty as hell about her running for senator.
21. Mellie: ”He knows what we did to Sally’s husband.“
Oh yeah, hey Mellie, you already had blood on your hands seeing as your scheming with Cyrus got that poor man kilt.
22. Cyrus: "Shhhh…don’t tell Fitz.”
This is where Mellie went wrong. Listening to Cyrus is usually always a mistake.
22. Olivia going to the CIA with the B613 files.
23. Olivia: "School shooting in Cherry Hill, New Jersey.“ The Human Vibrator: distraction for the media when B613 blew up the presidential palace in Kenya.”
24. Lizzie: “If there’s anything that I can do for you, I mean it anything, I’ll do it…you need to tell me everything.”
Mellie stays being the dumbest rock in the box. I can’t believe she told the woman who she shared a dick with her deepest darkest secrets before going to her husband.
25. Cyrus: "Honey, I’m gonna call you honey because I can’t remember your first name and I don’t care. Honey, you want to be reasonable about this.“
Cyrus is literally the worst.
26. Olivia being arrested.
What the fuck?
27. The human vibrator being arrested.
28. Fitz’s great speech about Mellie.
I appreciate the effort this man is putting into trying to be a better man, but none of that shit he said about Mellie was even remotely true.
29. Cyrus threatening to harm Abby.
Please die. Not really, but I really hate you.
30. Cyrus: ”When you know someone’s pressure point, you can make them do just about anything.“
Cyrus, you never had to try that hard with David sweetie, he has a yellow streak running all the way down his back.
31. David trying to get Olivia and the Human Vibrator to retract their statements even though he was the one who started this freaking court case in the first place.
32. Cyrus: ”I can’t have a soul, because if I had one, if never accomplish a thing.“
33. Rowan calling Olivia to brag about beating her again.
I’m wondering why Rowan didn’t have Maya killed?
34. Rowan: ”Rowan is dead, but Eli Pope, well now I’m just an old, innocent, doddering paleontologist, who works for the Smithsonian. No one is looking at me, no one is searching for me. No one would even think to wonder what I’m up to. I am free, and for that baby, Daddy thanks you.“
God I hate this character.
I wish he’d been killed.
35. Announcer: ”Your new junior senator, Mellie Grant"
This is still one of the most absurd story lines on the show this season.
36. Lizzie telling Fitz what Mellie did.
She’s a wicked, wicked woman, but it serves Mellie right for being so fucking stupid.
37. Lizzie’s smirk.
I’m not even mad.
38. Police officer: “Elijah Pope?” Rowan: “Yes.” Police officer: “You’re under arrest.” Rowan: “Let me tell you about the terrible mistake you about to make–” Officer: "You know what Chief, I hear this story about five times a day, go ahead and cuff him"
39. Olivia: “Rowan did that, Command, did that, he had power, but you? How did you describe yourself? an old, innocent, doddering paleontologist, who works for the Smithsonian. You were right. We couldn’t take Command, but we can take Eli Pope.”
Yessssss! Rowan screaming in the jail was everything. Everything.
40. Quinn: “Why are you working with Rowan?” Huck: “I don’t know what you’re talking about.” Quinn: "Yes you do. Those bodies in the morgue, I know your work, I’d know it anywhere, that was you.“
41. Quinn: “I will shoot you, I will shoot you like the animal you are. You wanna test me?”
A bit harsh Quinn but point taken.
By the way, I loved this entire scene between Huckleberry Quinn. Such great acting between the two of them.
42. Fitz: "You think I’d let you be president after what you did?“ Mellie: "What I did? Fitz…” Fitz: "I know about the jurors.“
43. Fitz: ”We’re not a team. You don’t even know what you did wrong. You don’t even know why it was wrong. Mellie: "I was wrong to take care of us.“ Fitz: "Get out. Pack your bags and get out of my house.”
Lol. Man this reeks of all kinds of hypocrisy, but guess what, I don’t have two fucks to give about Mellie, because she should have been marched out of the White House in season two. She’s done her share of shit, but people stay forgiving her for all her bad deeds, because she was raped.
44. Cyrus: “What’s going on. She knew about the jurors?”
Cyrus stays trying to look out for number one.
45. Fitz: "Cyrus. Mellie came to you, I know that. You went to the CIA I know that too. You arrested Olivia, you released Maya, you worked with the man who killed my son. I know everything, so don’t lie to me. Cyrus: "Sir..“ Fitz: "Do not lie to me. And do not tell me that you were trying to protect me.” Cyrus: “Sir, please” Fitz: “You’re fired.”
Say what? Oh my God, first Rowan ends up in jail for embezzling, now Fitz has finally fired that monster, Cyrus? At this point, I was pretty much in seventh heaven. I love that Fitz finally gathered his presidential balls, and was strong. About time too.
46. “The Human Vibrator: This is where the ride ends. Olivia: “What?” THV: "My mission is complete.“ Olivia: "Your mission?” THV: "B613 is gone. Command is in jail. I have delivered you home safe and sound. My mission is complete. And it has been my pleasure. Take care, Liv.“
Yes go, go! Don’t let the door hit you on the way out.
47. THV: They asked me to look out for you, both of them. Your father the bad guy, and the president, the good guy. They both asked me to keep you safe, they both made you my mission, and I went over the line on both accounts. I’m in love with you. And if I’m telling the whole truth, no matter who gets hurt, it goes like this, I am in love with you, but you are in live with him. Olivia: *Radio silence* TVH: "You are owed Olivia. You want what’s yours? Go and take it.”
Man, I was internally screaming at this point because I knew that there’d be an Olake blood bath come the end of the episode. And I was here for it.
48. Mellie finally being ushered out of the White House wearing her green for jealousy fifties ensemble.
If I had any fucks to give about Mellie,I’m may have felt sorry for her, but I don’t so I was all:
49. Cyrus handing in his access badges.
50. Fitz going to Liv’s house and finding that she wasn’t there.
For a moment I wondered if she’d decided to abscond to parts unknown again, then I was reminded now well that worked out for her last time and knew that the writers were terrible, but they wouldn’t repeat that mess again.
51. Fitz walking along the corridors of power all alone.
I didn’t feel emotional. I didn’t dammit.
When he went out into the balcony, I’m not gonna lie, I was expecting for him to get shot. What can I say, I have trust issues when it comes to Shondaland.
52. Olivia: “Nice view”
Woah. Firstly, how the fuck did she get so far into the president’s private residence, then I remembered that I was watching Scandal so discarded that question. I was just way too dumbstruck to actually give a fuck how she got there. Hell I wasn’t even distracted by the worst green screen ever.
53. Olivia: "Hi.“ Fitz: "Hi”
I’m not gonna get sucked in, I’m not gonna get sucked in, I’m not gonna… Oh who gives a fuck, I’ve been totally sucked in and it hurts so good at this point.
54. Fitz: "You’re here.“ Liv: "I’m here. Charlotte is very helpful and informative.”
God bless Charlotte and her unprofessional ass.
55. Fitz: "What happens now?“ Olivia: "Whatever we want.”
And just like that, my crusty, nearly dead, Olitz shipper heart bounced back to life.
Now Olakers will have the entire summer to be mad, and I can’t lie, I’m here for it. Olitzers have had to deal with Shonda’s fuckery for four years. Let them feel the delights of her screwing them over for once.
1. Just like with Scott Foley, I thought the decision to make Portia a series regular was head scratching. Like, what has she brought to the show? She’s been pretty ornamental all season, so Shonda decides to make her a regular? This is literally Scott Foley being promoted all over again. Oh well, we’ll see how useful her character is next year. Thank God Fitz at least has Susan on his side.
2. Where has Cyrus’ husband Michael been?
3. I said at the beginning of season four that Shonda has a habit of writing the opposite of whatever she does in the premiere, in the finale, and that trend continued with this finale. We started the season with Olivia looking rather bohemian on an island being fingered by Jake. We end with her in Fitz’s arms. The season started with Mellie and Fitz in misery on the balcony, we end with an ecstatic Liv and Fitz on the balcony.
4. At the beginning of the season, Olitz were barely speaking to each other, we ended with them looking forward to a future together. Some great parallels there.
5. Here Comes The Sun was such a wonderful song to end on, the irony wasn’t lost on me, however the sun was always about Olitz (see episode 3x13), never the crackship.
My only prediction is that Shonda loves to build things only to tear them apart, so I’m fully expecting that Olivia and Fitz will be back to being a mess within the first three episodes of season 5.
Here’s what I want for season five
Fitz and Olivia actually working shit out together. Please God, no more back and forth.
B613 needs to be dead and buried.
A bitter presidential divorce. Come on Shonda, there’s lots of drama to be had out of this story line. We’ve all waited long enough.
Mellie finally becoming the vengeful bitch she should have always been.
Quinn shoots Huck and puts him out of our misery.
Cyrus and Mellie working together against the White House.
Jake dies in a horrible car accident.
I think that’s about all I want for season 5, I guess we’ll see in the fall what Shonda decides to do.
So yes, I will be back for more Shonda fuckery next season, but I have a feeling I’ll be way less patient.
Let’s hope that Olivia nor Fitz will be looking back in season five.
Here are some lovely GIFs of Olitz in the season four finale.
Budget Combo of the Day: Ezuri, Claw of Progress & Sage of Hours, Breaking the Bank at: $5.62 (2/12/16)
This one was discovered pretty quick and is obvious once you see it. Get Ezuri to get you up to 5 experience counters by casting small creatures. With Sage of Hours on the field, move to combat and let Ezuri’s second clause activate. Go ahead and target Sage of Hours so that he can get the 5 counters. Then use Sage’s second ability and remove the 5 counters. Next turn just repeat the process and viola! infinite turns! Whatever you do with the turns is up to you!
Chanyeol awkwardly looks away and laughs before turning his attention back to Baekhyun. The way Chanyeol averts his gaze and turned his body away is a clear indication of anxiety.
*my god* it’s cute
^ A comman social norm: To tease and/or avert the attention of your significant other towards yourself in order to gain attention and affection.
^ The way Chanyeol responds imadiately shows an element of self-conciousness, wanting to impress/behave himself, possibly due to the fact that he may want to impress his significant other.
^ Notice Chanyeol’s genuine discomfort? A natural response when put into a potentially awkward situation. His nerves are most likely due to embarassment. Also, Baekhyun lowers his head as soon as Sehun begins to push him towards Chanyeol, most likely for the same reason.