MTVS Epic Rewatch #63
BTVS 3x10 Amends
1) I really wish David had pulled off the Irish accent (I may or may not have a thing for Ireland / Irish men), and if he had, he would’ve instantly become 1000% hotter in my eyes.
2) Oh I almost forgot this is the “awkward bangs” episode!
3) Don’t you hate it when the credits ruin a character’s return for you? (or when the previously-ons feature a character that hasn’t been in the show for a long time) (both things happen in this episode, btw) (way to ruin a moment)
4) I get Cordelia was still pissed at Xander, and she had every right to be, but this was low of her.
Cordelia: I thought you slept outside to avoid your family’s drunken Christmas fights.
Xander: Yes. And that was a confidence I was hoping you would share with everyone.
It’s sad because it ruins something truly nice about their relationship, this comment alone gives us a lot of insight into how intimate they actually were, which is sadly a development in their relationship that took place off-screen. See, it wasn’t all about making out in mop closets or cars, or exchanging barbs and then hate-kissing. They actually talked and shared extremely intimate stuff about their lives. And I know Xander had already shat all over that when he cheated on her, but it’s a pity to find out there was still something that only belonged to the two of them and no one else, and to see it used here as ammunition.
5) So, how much do you love Oz?
This is what I do know: I miss you. Like, every second. Almost like I lost an arm, or worse, a torso. So, I think I’d be willing to… give it a shot.
6) And thank you Joss for reminding us that Angel TORTURED Giles. Seriously. We keep on forgetting, and we should always remember this.
(also, this is how I invite unwanted visitors into my home, btw)
7) Angelus’ hair looks just like Cordelia’s, doesn’t it?
I’m not even going to get into the mustache + soul patch combo, but…
8) So this is an incosistency regarding the canon about The First established in season 7. No touching, Firsty! You are incorporeal, remember?! (btw, this happens twice in the episode, so there’s no “mistake”)
9) See? This is one of the reasons I actually love Xander.
Buffy: So we’ll help him?
Xander: Where do we start?
Xander: Look, I’m aware I haven’t been the mostest best friend to you when it comes to the whole Angel thing, and, um, I don’t know, maybe I finally got the Chanukah spirit.
Because when he manages to put his own skewed agenda aside, he is actually a decent friend. More of this always, Xander. I beg you.
10) WAIT A SECOND!
THIS DUDE IS CLEARLY A LATE 20TH CENTURY DUDE! WHAT, WITH THE SUIT AND THE TALKING??? SO HOW COME ANGELUS MURDERED HIM AND HIS CHILDREN????? AND HOW COME I HAVE JUST REALIZED THIS????
EXPLANATIONS, ANYONE??? PLEASE!!
AND YES, I AM YELLING BECAUSE I CAN’T BELIEVE JOSS MESSED UP SO BAD!!
AND IT WAS ANGELUS WHO DID THIS, NOT ANGEL!! BECAUSE:
The thing I remember most was thinking how artful it was. In the dark, they looked just like they were sleeping. It wasn’t until I bent down and kissed them good night that I felt how cold they were. You grabbed me, and I thought, who would go to so much trouble to arrange them like that?
EDIT: Explanation - it was a victim from season 2! Thanks @amandac777 and everyone who reminded me Angelus killed other people off-screen during season 2! But now it bothers me that this is literally the same thing he did with Jenny and Giles? I mean, come on, Angelus, where’s the poetry in that?
11) And we finally got to see what we missed in Surprise, huh?
(this is also further evidence that Buffy was having an orgasm during the Graduation Day Part 2 scene)
13) I admit, it’s been a long time since I last rewatched season 7, and please correct me if I’m wrong, but during season 7 The First doesn’t depend so much on the bringers to “manifest” itself and “haunt” people (in fact, it’s pretty much the only thing it does on its own, and the bringers are almost never around when the first shows up!) but here we are told otherwise:
Um, they’re known as the Bringers or Harbingers. They’re high priests of The First. They can conjure spirit manifestations and set them on people, influence them, haunt them.
Plus, in season 7 they didn’t really act as “high priests” but rather as lower caste minions.
14) And this scene reminds me of Joss’ mantra: “Make it dark, make it grim, make it tough, but then, for the love of God, tell a joke”
I mean, Barry starts singing and it just about kills me. Every time! And the whole setup: the candles, the music, the sodas in the ice bucket! Where did Willow pick up her seduction skills? 70s soft porn???
15) But honestly, folks, how much do you love Oz?
Willow: I’m ready.
Oz: Okay. Well, don’t take this the wrong way… but I’m not.
Willow: Are you scared? ‘Cause I thought you had…
Oz: No, I have, but this is different. I mean, you look great. You know, and, and you got the Barry working for you, and, and it’s all… good. But when it happens… I want it to be because we both need it to for the same reason. You don’t have to prove anything to me.
And it’s such an important message for young boys and girls!
16) Oh Faith. You were still trying, and you could’ve been saved… If only.
17) My favorite way to leave a room, no matter the circumstances.
18) And this is Buffy in a nutshell.
Jenny/The First: Hmm. You think you can fight me? I’m not a demon, little girl. I am something that you can’t even conceive. The First Evil. Beyond sin, beyond death. I am the thing the darkness fears. You’ll never see me, but I am everywhere. Every being, every thought, every drop of hate.
Buffy: Alright, I get it. You’re evil. Do we have to chat about it all day?
19) Ugh and one of the most powerful scenes and dialogues in the whole show. (I’m gonna paste the whole thing because it’s just brilliant)
Angel: I can’t do it again, Buffy. I can’t become a killer.
Buffy: Then fight it.
Angel: It’s too hard.
Buffy: Angel, please, you *have* to get inside.
Angel: It told me to kill you. You were in the dream. You know. It told me to lose my soul in you and become a monster again.
Buffy: I know what it told you. What does it matter?
Angel: Because I wanted to! Because I want you so badly! I want to take comfort in you, and I know it’ll cost me my soul, and a part of me doesn’t care. Look, I’m weak. I’ve never been anything else. It’s not the demon in me that needs killing, Buffy. It’s the man.
Buffy: You’re weak. Everybody is. Everybody fails. Maybe this evil did bring you back, but if it did, it’s because it needs you. And that means that you can hurt it. Angel, you have the power to do real good, to make amends. But if you die now, then all that you ever were was a monster. Angel, please, the sun is coming up!
Angel: Just go.
Buffy: I won’t!
Angel: What, do you think this is simple? You think there’s an easy answer? You can never understand what I’ve done! Now go!
Buffy: You are not staying here. I won’t let you!
Angel: I said LEAVE! Oh, my God…
Buffy: No! No!
Angel: Am I a thing worth saving, huh? Am I a righteous man? The world wants me gone!
Buffy: What about me? I love you so much… And I tried to make you go away… I killed you and it didn’t help. And I hate it! I hate that it’s *so* hard… and that you can hurt me *so* much. I know everything that you did, because you did it to me. Oh, God! I wish that I wished you dead. I don’t. I can’t.
Angel: Buffy, please. Just this once… let me be strong.
Buffy: Strong is fighting! It’s hard, and it’s painful, and it’s every day. It’s what we have to do. And we can do it together. But if you’re too much of a coward for that, then burn. If I can’t convince you that you belong in this world, then I don’t know what can. But do *not* expect me to watch. And *don’t* expect me to mourn for you, because…
It is such a pivotal moment for the both of them, but especially for Angel. This moment is what kept him going every time afterwards, even when he wasn’t in Sunnydale anymore. “If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do”, you know?
20) And then the Christmas miracle, because why the hell not?
21) Poor Xander, though.
22) It’s cheesy but it works, doesn’t it?
23) Great episode!!