So we all know the college board is an actual piece of shit right? They overcharge for exams, to send CSS profiles to colleges, to send exam scores to colleges (and of course the colleges already have our scores because that’s why you keep getting mail saying omg your sat is so high pls apply), and they don’t even fucking give us a breakdown of our scores after we spend a couple hours taking their awful tests that are often designed so we fail them.
Anyways, it’s time to do something about it. AFTER we all get our AP scores this year, let’s ALL give the college board a piece of our minds. They won’t be able to do anything to us anymore - we’re done with their crap. We might not change anything, but at least we can annoy the fuck out of them.
So please reblog this and spread the word. Seniors, we’re gonna show the college board what we’re made of 👊🖕
There are a lot of words that may seem new and weird throughout college applications, so here is a list of words that I defined in order to help you glide through the application process!
The Basics: Treat Yo Self! (and know the facts!)
1. Undergraduate: An undergraduate student is someone who is obtaining an undergraduate education or degree, such as a Bachelor’s degree.
2. Private University: A Private University is a college that is privately funded. They tend to be smaller than public universities as well.
3. Public University: A Public University is a college that is publicly funded, specifically through the national government. They tend to be larger than private universities.
4. Safety School: When applying to colleges, a safety school is a college where the stats of a typical student admitted is lower than your stats, which indicates that it may be easier for you to get in (since you have higher stats than the average).
5. Target School: A target school is a college where the stats of a typical student admitted is similar to your stats, which indicates that you are the same level as other applicants.
6. Reach School: A reach school is a college where the stats of a typical student admitted is higher than your stats, indicating that it is a more competitive college.
7. College Confidential: A website full of threads and information about college admissions. Although some of the pages found on College Confidential are helpful, there are some things found on this site that may discourage you for no apparent reason, such as “Chance Me” threads. Therefore, I advise you to steer clear of College Confidential and, by all means, do not let it get to your head!
8. “Chance Me’s”: “Chance Me” are threads found online where people write their stats and ask for others to see if they can get accepted to a specific college. I advise you NOT to trust these things, as people online do not know your chances of getting into a specific school.
9. Common App: Also known as the Common Application, the Common App is an application used for undergraduate admissions to a multitude of colleges. A majority of colleges accept the Common App, but I suggest looking in on the ones you want to apply to in order to know for sure.
10. Universal College Application: Similar to the Common App, the Universal College Application is also a site used by many people to send their college applications.
11. SAT II’s: Also known as SAT Subject Tests, the SAT II’s are exams that are taken in specific subject areas, such as Biology, Math I/II, and US History. Many colleges do not require SAT Subject Tests. However, it is important to check and see if some colleges require you to take an SAT Subject Test, or if it is optional. Although it may be optional for the college, it is still your decision if you would like to take this exam or not for admission purposes.
12. Transcript: A report of all the grades you have received in each class that you have taken during high school. Colleges require an official transcript to be sent to the admissions office.
13. Recommendation Letter: A letter that details why you are an excellent fit in said college. These letters usually come from teachers, faculty, coaches, mentors, etc. Recommendation letters should NOT be written by a family member.
14. Personal Statement: A Personal Statement is basically a college essay. Many colleges require you to write at least one, while others require more than one essay.
15. Need Blind Admissions: Need-Blind Admissions is when colleges will decide on your admissions decision without looking at your financial information. To clarify, this means that the college will decide on your admissions decision solely on your application and not on your financial information.
16. Waitlisted: Waitlisted is sort of the middle ground for colleges. When you are waitlisted, it does not mean that you are accepted or rejected. Instead, it means that you are put on a “waiting list” and, if the colleges enrollment numbers from their accepted students are lower than expected, they will accept more people from the waitlist.
17. Deferred: Deferred is when a college pushes your application to the next filing period. This means that you have not been accepted or rejected yet. Instead, the college has pushed your application in order to review it again and make a final decision. A deferral only happens if you have applied Early Action or Early Decision.
18. Legacy (Applicant): A legacy applicant is someone who is applying to a college that a family member has went to, usually their parents.
Types of Applications (it’s “ED” as one, two, three! Get it!?)
1. ED/Early Decision: A type of application filing period where you are able to apply early, but it is binding. This means that if you are accepted to said college under Early Decision, you are required to go there upon acceptance. Usually, the application deadline is in November and admission decisions are in Mid-December. Something to note about this is that you can apply to only one school with an “Early Decision” (since it is binding), but you can apply to other schools with a different filing period, such as Early Action and Regular Decision.
2. EA/Early Action: A type of application filing period where you are able to apply early, but it is not binding. This means that you are applying earlier than the normal application period and you will NOT be required to go to said college upon acceptance. Similar to ED, Early Action’s deadline is around November, but the admissions decision’s date varies. Unlike the Early Decision, you can apply to as many Early Action’s as you want (unless Single Choice Early Action, more on that below)
3. Single Choice/Restrictive Early Action: This is a type of application filing period where you are only allowed to apply to one Early Action school. However, this means that Single Choice/Restrictive Early Action is still non-binding (not required to go upon acceptance), but you can only apply to one school under Early Action. Similar to ED, you are able to apply to colleges under other types of filing periods, such as Regular Decision.
4. RD/Regular Decision: This is the normal time when applications are due. Regular Decision is the time when most people apply to colleges. The applications are usually due in January and results typically come out in March (although, it may vary depending on the college). Regular Decisions are non-binding and you can apply to as many as you want.
5. Rolling Admissions: This is a type of application filing period when you apply to a college and the college admissions office reviews them as they receive the applications. Unlike ED/EA/RD, Rolling Admissions does not have a set date where you can go and look for your college admissions decision. Typically, the college will give you a time frame in which they will give you your admission decision, which is possibly around 2-8 weeks depending on the college. Something to note is that a lot of colleges with Rolling Admissions may not have a distinct deadline for the application, but they will have a “priority deadline” where, if you submit your application before that date, then they will get back to you sooner. Overall, the earlier you submit your application for Rolling Admissions, the quicker you will know your decision.
6. Open Admission: This is a type of application filing where colleges accept all students, as long as they have completed high school or have a GED.
Financial Aid: Dolla Dolla Bills Y'All!
1. Grant: A grant is money that you receive in your financial aid packet that you will NOT have to pay back.
2. Loan: A loan is money that you receive in your financial aid packet and, if you accept, will have to pay back.
3. Scholarships: A scholarship is money earned due to certain achievements, such as academic, athletic, etc. Similar to a grant, it is money given to you that you do not need to pay back. However, for a scholarship, it may be awarded by the college or awarded separately by applying for one.
4. FAFSA: Also known as the “Free Application for Federal Student Aid”, the FAFSA is a website that most colleges will advise you to use in order to receive financial aid from colleges. The FAFSA application will ask for information on your household’s tax forms in order to determine how much grant and loan money you may receive. The FAFSA application opens on January 1st of every year, but deadlines for completing the application varies for every college. Something to note is that you will need to apply for Financial Aid every year in order to receive aid while you are in college.
5. CSS Profile: Also known as the “College Scholarship Service Profile”, the CSS Profile is found on the College Board website where you apply in order to receive more financial aid. Many colleges require the CSS Profile (and sometimes early on), so I advise you to see if it is required.
6. Expected Family Contribution (EFC): This is a number found on your FAFSA that provides an estimate of the amount of money your family will be expected to pay for your education. To note, this estimate is the amount of money you will be expected to pay after financial aid is accounted for.
7. Institutional Grant: An institutional grant is money given by the college that you do not have to pay back. This is different compared to the federal grant, since the federal grant is provided by the government instead of the college itself.
8. Merit-Based Grants: These are grants that are made due to academic achievement.
9. Need-Based Grants: These grants are given to students due to their level of income.
10. Federal Pell Grant: This grant is money that the federal government gives you that you will NOT pay back.
11. Institutional Loans: An institutional loan is money given by the college that you have to pay back. This is different than the federal loans, since the federal loans are provided by the government instead of the college itself.
12. Direct Subsidized Loan: A loan is money that you receive in your financial aid packet and, if you accept, will have to pay back to the college. The Direct Subsidized Loan is a federal loan that pays the loan’s interest while you are in college. However, once your undergraduate education is completed, you will be required to start paying the Direct Subsidized Loan (Note: this loan allows a six month grace period before you starting paying).
13. Direct Unsubsidized Loan: A loan is money that you receive in your financial aid packet and, if you accept, will have to pay back to the college. The Direct Unsubsidized Loan is a federal loan that does not pay the loan’s interest while you are in college. This means that, as you continue through college, you are responsible for paying the loan’s interest. However, if you decide you don’t want to pay the loan’s interest while in college, then the interest will be added to the principal (or the original loan’s amount).
14. Perkins Loan: The Perkins Loan is given to students depending on their school, as some schools do not participate in the Perkins Loan. Similar to all loans, it is money borrowed now that must be paid back later. However, unlike the other loans stated here, this loan is a college issued loan instead of a federal loan, meaning that the money is paid back to the college not the government.
15. (Parent) PLUS Loan: A PLUS Loan is a loan taken out on the parents name for an undergraduate student. This means that parents with undergraduate students may use this money for college expenses. PLUS Loans are to be paid back to the federal government.
16. Work Study Program: The Work Study Program is one in which a student may hold a job on campus while earning their degree/education. You can apply for the Work Study Program through the FAFSA application. The money you earn from this job can be used on anything, from tuition to food, etc.
You’re In College! Now what… (Everything you need to know while in college)
1. Major: A specific area that an undergraduate student focuses on during college. The student must follow and complete the courses stated in their specified major in order to receive their degree.
2. Minor: Although it is not required, some undergraduate students choose a minor in order to have a secondary focus. If you choose to minor, you do not receive another degree. Instead, minoring in something during college is solely for your own personal interest and to expand your knowledge.
3. Double Major: When you double major in something it means that you are following two specified areas. Double Majors receive two degrees for the areas in which they studied.
4. Undeclared: To be undeclared in college is to not choose a major/degree. Many people go into college undeclared, while some are even undeclared up until their second year of college. However, depending on your college, there may be a specific time or deadline to declare a major, since you will eventually be required to have one in order to obtain a degree.
5. Placement Test: A placement test is a preliminary test in order to see what level you are in specific subjects. These are normally taken when you have selected a college to attend (as an entering college freshman) and must register for classes. Also, something to note, all colleges do not have placement tests.
6. Bursar Office: The Bursar Office is the branch of the college that takes care of payments and billing statements for the student.
7. Financial Aid Office: The Financial Aid Office is the branch of the college that takes care of the financial aid aspect for the student, such as determining grant money.
8. Registrar: The Registrar Office is where they handle student records and scheduling for the college.
9. Commuting/Commuter: A commuter is a student who travels to college from where they reside. This is a longer distance than the typical five minutes off campus.
10. Transfer Student: A transfer student is someone who is changing from one college to another. Most people who change colleges decide once they know that their credits will transfer to the next college.
The Blurb: Often considered among the best liberal arts colleges in the country, Macalester is a small, community-focused school in Saint Paul, Minnesota. At just around 2000 undergrads, Macalester is smaller than your average college, providing an intimate learning environment on campus. Mac is known for it’s politically active student body–it was voted “Most liberal” by the Princeton Review in 2011
Acceptance Rate: 32%
Location: Saint Paul, Minnesota
Housing: First and second years are required to live on-campus
Financial Aid: Macalester meets 100% of demonstrated need, with Merit-based scholarships available for National Merit scholars.
Additional Notes: as with any small campus, students report that Macalester can feel anywhere from “cozy” to “claustrophobic”. Small schools can be wonderful experiences but are definitely not for everyone.
ready to die because tonight i’ll be out in the twenty degree weather freezing to death
anyway!! this should be renamed ally when she gets to college!! but it won’t be
hoseok doesn’t know about college tbh i see hoseok being like i wanna work and not drown in debt!!
and he has the opportunity because he has this part time job that his boss said he could work full time if he doesn’t wanna go to college
hoseok is like rad!! because his only passion is dance and everyone tells him he won’t find a job as a dance major so he’s like why waste the money?
he loves his job and it gives him time to do other things because it’s like a 11-10 shift?? so in the morning he has time still and all!! time to dance i mean
and he’s always guaranteed one day off and one half day so it’s okay right?
but his boss
oh while his boss was like yes you can work here!! that’s okay we love you!! his boss was always like you’re such an intelligent kid hoseok you should really do something in college… don’t waste that intelligence here
and hoseok gets all teary eyed because he loves his boss and his coworkers they’re like a family too him?? and he doesn’t wanna leave them!!
but his boss is so insistent like please child you could do so much more than this…
and hoseok is like but i don’t wanna do anything else but stay at the restaurant!!
boom light bulb
because your girl just googled majors for college
and hospitality management is one of those majors
like in this au hoseok practically grew up in the restaurant and loved them all and loved the dynamics of restaurant life from the decor to the menu to the waiters?
so he’s like wow maybe i should do something with restaurant management!!
in high school, hoseok never went out to parties or the sports games or that kind of thing
every weekend (plus more) he could be found at the restaurant, serving tables and making hard money
so he has a lot of his own money to pay for college!!
and plus his parents, who wanted him to go to college from the get go, are so willing to pay for his college career too, well the best they can
he’s like i’m gonna stay close to home and go to college here so i can still work part time!!
but he applied internationally too just for the heck of it because a lot of his friends went overseas for school and they really loved it!!
and guess what
an american college sees his profile and they’re like wow gotta have him!!
and they’re willing to pay for his entire tuition, he has to pay for room and board though
because while hoseok didn’t a lot of time at work, he got really good grades and was involved in school clubs so he looked well rounded and active in school
plus he had a lot of work and volunteer hours so he looked like the perfect student!!
he decides to go to that school despite wanting to stay close to home, because he wants to challenge himself and adventure and face new challenges and experiences!!
so yes he goes over to the grand old usa where tuition is like fifty thousand dollars
a lot of the college au series isn’t intertwined and i gave people different roommates throughout and this one i think it’d be rad af if hoseok and my son jeongguk were roommates??
so yikes it’s happening
so hoseok gets there and he’s saying hi to everyone he meets while looking for his dorm
and he walks on in ahd guess who’s there it’s a small bunny child
tbh jeongguk probably found out how to hack the wifi and is like illegally streaming movies through his computer
and he kinda looks up at hoseok and is all ??
and hoseok just stares at him then kinda “i packed some popcorn, you want some?”
hoseok and jeongguk are good roommates, they get along really well except when jeongguk throws his clothes everywhere and like,,, hoseok has to clean up after him???
but they do dance team together so that’s rad because they’re usually home at the same times!!
hoseok does a lot of other clubs, he’s probably in more clubs than he is classes
he’s on the dance team obviously but he would also probably go out for like god knows what
like gymnastics and also gardening club tbh he would love gardening club it would be his fave
he would go to karaoke club too and then he would force everyone to sing black pink
if there was a club that really couldn’t generate a lot of attention or didn’t have a lot of members he would feel bad and join that club because he has such a big heart and that’s how he gets stuck in tea party club
i bet seokjin would start tea party club and yoongi joins later and they get some other people to join?? (like crossover, minghao from seventeen ? kihyun from monsta x?)
and they sit there and trash talk people?? like sit there with porcelain tea cups and trash talk people for hours??
and also how he gets stuck in philosophy club but he meets namjoon there and that’s rad!!
and him and namjoon become really close friends especially because same age friends??
he meets yoongi for the first time at photography club except hoseok just takes pictures of yoongi the entire time tbh and yoongi nearly kicks him out
hoseok brings jeongguk to photography and they BOTH start only taking pictures of yoongi and then they both actually get suspended from club activities because yoongi has done had it with them
hoseok and jeongguk have some wild adventures right
one being the laundry night adventure of *insert year here*
okay so really hoseok is the one involved in the adventure but guess who else is oh wait you are surprise
it’s late one night aka early one morning
like two in the morning?
and hoseok bolts up in bed and remembers that jeongguk did not do the laundry!! even though it was his turn to do such!! and hoseok realizes that not only has jeongguk neglected the laundry, he’s neglected it for like a week so they have no clean clothes
and hoseok has a lab early in the morning and he’s like well yikes??
so he grabs his phone and rubs his eyes and puts the laundry basket on his hip like i’m ready to be a responsible adult™
so he goes down to the uni laundromat idk if those actually exist but guess what they do in this au
hoseok doesn’t think it’ll be an issue because like two in the morning? who’s gonna be there lmao
oh wait surprise someone is
and that someone is crying??
hoseok races over and he spills all his laundry in the process because i have this feeling that even though he’s a fluid dancer, boy probably overexcites or like gets so into his emotions that he cannot control hhs body yikes
probably trips on his way over to you honestly
and you scream because who is this??
and he screams because you’re screaming but when you both calm down he kinda
“man are you doing okay??”
and you sniffle and wipe the tears from your eyes and you’re honest with him like it’s law, you’re tired, you’re worn out, there’s no need to lie
“i just got out of a break up?”
and hoseok !! “you’re literally gorgeous and i bet your personality is a million times more so, how?”
and you shrug “it’s a friend break up”
that’s right this is a call out post to all my shitty toxic ex friends this one goes out to you
thanks for ending it before the new year ;)
anyway hoseok just nods because he gets it, he’s been there, and he realizes losing a friend no matter what the circumstances are, friend breakups are so much more painful and mean a lot more than romantic break ups?
and he cannot bare to see you there, crying like this
like his heart is shattering and he doesn’t know you because nobody deserves to cry alone at two o'clock in the morning
so he offers you his hand and he’s like “don’t worry, jung hoseok, personal angel at your service!”
and you kinda smile and he smiles too because you’re smiling!!
tbh the clothes don’t get washed
but you help him pick his spilled ones up and you kinda “are those scooby doo pajama pants…”
and hoseok gets all excited like “why yes they are, don’t you love them”
and you both laugh and he gets all shy for a few and then he’s like “there’s a twenty four hour diner like down the street, i’ll buy you come cake and we can cry it out together?”
you get all red because omg nonono that’s okay that’s a okay you don’t have to do that to me you’re too sweet!!
except hoseok insists so soon you find yourself sneaking back yoongi the dorms with hoseok to put both your laundered clothes okay and then it’s off to the diner
it’s a super cute diner and it has cute cat clocks on the wall and there’s like four people there and they’re all employees and they don’t expect you and hoseok but they’re all super sweet and cute and welcoming!!
you and hoseok sit at a cute little booth together, across from each other
and he’s like “okay lay it on me, i got all night to listen”
which is a lie because early lab if you remember but he’s not about to let you know that
like he cannot leave you there knowing that you are upset or hurt or crying like that, like that’s not his nature
and so you two order tea and some pie because they have some left over from that previous day and you just sit there and you don’t know what possessed you but you completely spill evreything to hoseok and it just comes spilling out but he is so patient with you and he doesn’t interrupt you
and he doesn’t try to solve the issue for you like he actually just sits there and listens and instead of pointing out things you may have done to instigate the drama or saying “well maybe you can let them back in” he actually commends you for doing what’s best for yourself, and cutting people out of your life who didn’t appreciate you and only seemed to care about you when they needed something
tbh he would probably get a little too into your narrative and feel for you because he has such a big heart and he can’t help but feel right along with other people that he might start tearing up and would probably even grab your hand and give it a little squeeze
sometimes it’s so nice to just cry things out right and you feel so much better that someone actually sat there and heard you out and it was such a positive experience and wow is hoseok even real??
you don’t even think so at this point, maybe you’re dreaming
but okay once you’re calmed you guys finish your snacks and hoseok pays and everything and tips more than the meal too, that’s also the kind of guy he is
side note isn’t there an anime where a character constantly makes reference to that’s just the kind of man i am i think maybe fma?
maybe not i always get fruits basket or ouran or something idk anyway
after the spill fest, you two just talk about yourselves because wow you actually really enjoy each other’s company and you don’t actually want the night to end??
and the entire staff has nothing better to do and they think you’re all really cute and wonder if you’re in love
boy howdy aren’t they gonna be spot on
that night hoseok gives you his number, well you exchange numbers i guess?? and after that you guys become so close like it was a natural attraction not even romantic but just as friends
and like you guys start doing everything together and he introduces you to the rest of the boys immediately but when you go to the bathroom he’s like um by the way we’ll be married one day so please don’t interfere!!
hoseok is so sweet though like he invites you to all his clubs and by far tea club is your favorite because you think yoongi would have the most to say right, ahaha, wrong, it’s seokjin
hoseok talks about how cute you are the entire time though and seokjin is like that is not the point of this club hoseok jeez
and hoseok gets all sassy like i will make it about this topic
as you’re blushing and internally screaming
hoseok claims he’s gonna name his restaurant after you and stick your picture all over the walls and you’re like omg
consider you and jeongguk hitting it off really well right??
and you’ll come over to hang and play harvest moon with jeongguk (i just got my proposal for tott like ten minutes ago tbh)
and make smoothies or whatever
and every single time hoseok will walk in and start to whine and sulk because why are you hanging out with jeongguk when you could be hanging out with him what the heck is this??
in true hoseok fashion, he would probably flop on the floor and refuse to get up until someone (aka you) ran over and doted on him
and jeongguk would roll his eyes and like gag but deep down he thinks it’s really super cute??
also this is official
every dance competition the boys have you end up going to and you make giant posters for hoseok and put his name in glitter or something and add a bunch of stickers and whenever he sees them he gets the biggest heart eyes in the entire world!!
probably afterwards when he’s all sweaty he runs over and hugs you and by hugs i mean suffocates you like no matter if they win or lose, he’s hugging the life out of you
and wow you are so in love with hoseok like how could you not be he is an angel
like all the teachers think so too like there are professors he doesn’t even have that know him by name and take the time to say hi and ask how his day is going
and he always comes over and tidies your room because you couldn’t say no when he asked for a key
“for best buddy purposes”
and jimin coughed “he loves you”
and jeongguk tried to cough and speak too but then he ended up choking and that is a whole different story
and he always helps you study tbh he would make you flashcards and draw cute little pictures on every single one to help your understanding
i can imagine a lot of late night walks with hoseok because yes sunshine boy but he is so much deeper than that and you two will walk around town and discuss your hopes and fears for the future
like hoseok is very real about his emotions but he also thinks people expect him to be a certain way, like always smiling and loud and happy and wild?
so you really cherish the nights where he’s actually hoseok, no masks, no pretenses, no walls or anything
and he’ll tell you about how he’ll open his restaurant and invite his family and old coworkers to the grand unveiling
and that all the recipes will be traditional and handed down from his family, and maybe he’ll ask the boys if they have any they’ll want to share
he’ll go on about how one day, his future kids can work in the restaurant and it’ll be a big, happy family thing
he also tells you about how he misses home though and how he can’t keep up with his parents and friends as much as he wants because everyone is so busy and time differences are so hard to deal with
you cherish this time so so much and these are the moments you find yourself falling more and more in love with him
even when things aren’t that deep walking around town is super fun because you always go window shopping and one time hoseok tried to stick a dog up his shirt and take it home and when asked he panicked and said he was pregnant
he would totally wear snapbacks always when out and like tight jeans with lots of holes and lots of baggy tees too he probably stole them from jeongguk but like whatever that’s okay
he would be the person right
so like you get bubble tea and you’re sipping it and then he whines and says he wants some even though he was so against buying his own drink
and then he chokes on whatever the heck those things are and makes a huge scene and probably says he’s dying??
and then you guys get kicked out??
like that’s how you and hoseok operate
okay okay okay but like obviously you are both in love
but like nobody will confess?? because nobody wants it to come crashing down and like i see hoseok as a more impulsive person but in a situation like this i see him being a scaredy cat almost?
because he would start to doubt himself and all??
but lucky for you
he does confess!!
now here’s the story…
our dear yoongi
his photography portfolio gets viewed by some super renowned business that’s super rich and powerful??
and they’re like hey we get you aren’t an advertising person but maybe you could help us, we’re about real people and your photography captures real life and we want to pay you to take some shots for us and if all goes according to plan, we can maybe give you a internship? and if you’re up to it we can also help you learn some advertising techniques too??
all the boys are like !!! omg yoongi !!
especially jeongguk, he’s like half the money should go to me anyhow because i’m always the model for your pics (and then he flips his hair best he can)
but they throw a party and they invite you to come but you have to politely decline because you have a huge art history test the next morning and to gotta study because what are Sanxingdui masks??
but you wanna go because it seems like a lot of fun??
you’re doing whatever, studying, low key not
and like at around eleven you get a text and it’s from jeongguk and he’s like “please watch this video”
so you do what any normal person would do in this situation and you open it
and oh boy there’s hoseok with a lampshade on his head
it’s already too wild
jeongguk adds “the sad thing is that he’s not even drunk, your boy ate seven of seokjin’s cupcakes and all hell has broken loose”
you giggle despite yourself and watch the video
and it’s hoseok standing on the bed with a hairbrush in hand and taehyung is up on the bed with him holding a grape soda can
and hoseok shouts “THIS ONE GOES OUT TO LOVE OF MY LIFE”
and namjoon can’t help but be like “and who’s that?”
hoseok gives this awful wink and you think he might fall off the bed and then he mouths your name
and then the music starts playing from yoongi’s phone and you’re a little confused because it’s nineties bubblegum pop?
okay and then at the top of his lungs he starts singing/screaming romeo and juliet by s.o.a.p and except that instead of singing romeo and juliet like the actual names he put your guys’ names in instead
you watch the video at least seven hundred more times because it’s pure comedy gold??
also hoseok just low key confessed his undying love for you
after reading your college posts, do you have any suggestions for people like me going into college?
Heyy thank you for the message :) If you are a conservative, no one is that concerned with your feelings. You’re going to face a challenging intellectual environment and according to a recent UCLA study, there are nearly 5 times more liberal professors than conservative professors on college campuses. Your views are going to be tested every day but saying that, most of your teaches will treat you respectfully. Your ideas though will face critical scrutiny and you may end up revising or abandoning some of them. But that’s a good thing, it’s what many liberal students are missing. What is not good is plenty of “educated” students and a few professors will see you as the embodiment of evil. If you express your opinions vigorously, some classmates will likely complain to school authorities that your very presence makes them feel unsafe and they will say some really nasty things about you. There is a bright side though. Even the schools overrun by the new orthodoxy, you will find great friends, male and female, professors too - whether they agree with you or not.
If you are going into college liberal, idealistic and a woman, you face a different set of risks. You are going to find a large and excited group of gender activists - students and some professors - eager to recruit you to their cause. They are going to present you with shocking statistics on sexual violence on campus and theories about an oppressive patriarchy and they’re going to tell you how mistreated and traumatised you are. It’s going to seem new and exciting to you and maybe a way to make new friends and fight injustice at the same time and you’re going to be tempted to sign up. You can do what you want but just be aware that most of the victim statistics you’re going to hear are either completely fabricated or wildly exaggerated. And the theories about women’s oppression, they’re twisted and surreal and are there to make you feel like you need these people to hold your hand.
As for trigger warnings and safe spaces, these are infantile, the opposite of empowering. It’s the fashion on many campuses to treat women and nonwhite as delicate flowers and fragile little birds but no, most of you are strong, tough and resilient, capable of empowering yourself without your hand being held by these people. The gender activists you will encounter are going to tell you not to listen to or not to take the word of those who encourage you to think for yourself and be open to real facts and statistics and that’s true, you shouldn’t, you shouldn’t take ANYBODY’S word on these matters. This is your future. Your foremothers and fathers fought and battled and won the right for you to be educated and treated equally. They knew you were tough and they wanted you to have the opportunity to put that strength to use. Please don’t waste it by falling captive to a pointless ideology or indulging in victimhood. Take serious classes, health care, science, engineering. Avoid courses that luxuriate victimhood. If you are serious about “the wage gap” then be serious when it comes to choosing your course.
If you are a liberal and idealistic man, you face an even greater risk. You probably think of yourself as open minded, well intended and progressive. But many on campus will not see you in this way. Today many college women practice gender profiling and it’s the fashion among these activists that judge men by the worst members of their sex and women by their best. So many attempts to exonerate yourselves or your friends will be dismissed as mansplaining. To save yourself from excommunication, you will be asked to engage in a fair amount of self-flagellation and male bashing but do not do it. Have some dignity for crying out loud. Don’t become the guy who sends out tweets like Arthur Chu: “As a dude who cares abt feminism sometimes I want to join all men arm-in-arm & then run off a cliff and drag the whole gender down in sea.” Here’s a few more vital tips for you:
1. Face reality. The reality is that at most colleges and universities the leftist worldview is the norm. Everything else is considered a deviation and this deviation usually gets shut down quite quickly. This is certainly the case in the humanities and social sciences. Even the hard sciences and professional majors like business have been influenced, although at a lesser degree. Simply being aware of this ideological imbalance is a big step forward. It will help you think critically about what you’re being taught. Don’t be like the emotional left though and perceive every slight criticism and every comment from your professors as a personal attack on you. The job of a professor is to make you think, to challenge your views, to present you with evidence, and to open your mind. This is uncomfortable but take it seriously. There are some really awesome liberal professors. Learn from them and remember they may not be as batshit crazy left-wing as you may believe - although some definitely are.
2. Seek out friends. The easiest way to do this is to identify the groups and clubs on campus and join the ones you can relate with. If you hear liberal student groups trash-talking a group for being “crazy” and “oppressive”, that’s probably the group you want to head towards. We all need friends who we can talk to and be ourselves around, especially if you don’t share the only acceptable opinion on campus. Plus, fellow independent-thinking students can give you advice on how to navigate the politically correct obstacle course. But hear me out. Do not spend all your time in this bubble as you’ll be no different to them and avoiding the other side does not help you in the long run. Spending some time learning the arguments of the other side so that you can more effectively combat them is beneficial to both you and them. Not only will it strengthen you in your beliefs and help you formulate arguments against the left, but your presence, and your healthy debate with them, may even be welcomed to those who on the left who are only there as they’re too frightened to step out of line. Your voice may be the only rational one they ever hear, so you need to not shy away from discussing your beliefs with someone you might think is a lost cause. You never know who needs to hear the voice of reason, so do not shelter yourself too much.
3. Read a lot and know your rights. Read conservative books, non-political books and anything you can get your hand on. Books will expose you to a world you may never have known, and are often full of their own pearls of wisdom. For me, when I do not feel so well-versed in a topic, I pick up a book on the issue and research the shit out of it. With the crazy left-leaning media, you cannot trust what you are getting from the news or what your professor dictates. I urge you to pick up a book on an issue you are not comfortable arguing yet, and use that as an opportunity to read another person’s opinions and beliefs and form your own, whether they be similar or different. If your instructor or even the administration targets you because of your views, you then have options. Don’t let all the liberal fluff get in the way of your learning. When you do encounter the liberal professor who uses the classroom as a political indoctrination camp, be respectful, engaging, and intellectual. You might be surprised at what can come out of an intellectual engagement. As for your rights, organizations like the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education (FIRE) who fight for freedom of speech, religious liberty, and due process on college campuses can help you. You may be in an ideological minority, but you’re not alone.
4. Stay cool. If you do mix it up with a leftist professor or fellow student always be calm and reasonable, even if they don’t return the favor. In almost every example you will always see conservative students speaking calmly while the left-wing students are screeching and convulsing during a debate. Think of yourself as an ambassador for rational ideas. Coming off as a hothead isn’t going to help the cause. It’s not easy to control your temper, especially when you are being falsely accused of all being all sorts of things but that’s what you have to do. Your opponents will look for any excuse to dismiss you as a crazy, racist, sexist monster. So don’t give them the chance. Remember this: the person who loses his cool loses the debate. Today’s campus manias aren’t going to last. Sooner or later the age old virtues of higher education will reassert themselves and bring back free speech, intellectual diversity, open inquiry, vigorous competition of ideas and mutual respect. If you are a strong, independent thinker yourself, you can play a part in this intellectual renaissance. Good luck :) xx
English Name: Roseanne Park Stage Name: ROSÉ Nickname: Rose, Rosie Position: Main Vocalist Birthday: February 11, 1997 Place of Birth: Melbourne, Commonwealth of Australia Education: Canterbury Girls Secondary College
feeling isolated sucks. the only people i get to talk to daily are my parents and sister and i know that’s 3 people but those are family and not the same. literally feel. alone and like yall laugh on here abt how u have no friends but actually have like 5 irl ones (which is a good amount) meanwhile im sitting here with my 1 irl friend that i cant hit up every day/week and literally no friends at college. my tinder profile is literally “please just be my friend”. im so fucking lonely i want to die like i genuinely want to die i have no fucking social life
I am no expert, just basing off of my experience~~
1) You cannot predict college decisions. (especially for colleges ranked top 20.)
2) With that being said, understand your test scores, GPA, and strength of extracurricular to gauge where you stand within each college class profile. IF you have a 2.0 GPA, then it probably isn’t the wisest decision to pay $70+ for a Stanford application- but then again, it is up to you.
3) APPLY EARLY. My state school had rolling admission which makes it that much more important to apply early. Write your college essay the summer before senior year.
4) Although you probably don’t know what you want to do, it is MUCH easier if you at least know what field/major you want to apply for. I applied to 5 different majors and it made my life really difficult during essay writing.
5) Apply for financial aid! FAFSA, CSS, etc.
6) Don’t forget to apply to a safety. No, Stanford is no one’s safety. Apply to your state school. State schools are GREAT and NOT to be underestimated or to be looked down upon.
7) don’t undersell yourself. If you’re not going to brag about yourself, who will?
8) Finally, the cliche: college admissions process does not define you. You can go to your regional school and still do great. Have a positive attitude when results come out because it is not the end of the world if you face rejection.
i feel like adam is cold a lot but doesn’t like to admit to it so ronan does “sneaky” shit like dream up an invisible heating device and stick it in adam’s car. adam finds it by bonking his knee on it while looking for something in the back seat.
which one of them is afraid of thunderstorms
which one of them gets along better with kids
ronan is very unstressed by kids and wjust kind of is his normal self with maybe less swearing and more like… teasing than outright meanness. adam is careful and proper and polite with kids and wants to do right by them so they make him a little nervous maybe? but he’s good at it. i think they’re prob both a little intimidating to kids at first (in very different ways) but it doesn’t take long for kids to warm up to either of them.
tl;dr neither is really better, it depends on the kid’s preference
which one of them stops to pet stranger’s dogs
adam, but not a lot. the dog would have to come near him first, probably. more often, henry and blue, collectively.
which one of them gets overwhelmed by small acts of kindness
i mean, adam has… complicated reactions to small acts of kindness. we know this. the aim here would be for him to get used to them.
ronan’s used to people doing shit to help him for very specific reasons. he wouldn’t be used to someone doing something for him for no reason. that would give him pause. especially since ronan himself does that kind of thing, dream up shit that reminds him of people and then leave it for them unannounced?
idk if he and gansey would ever really get to this point, gansey is too gansey, and possibly also henry is too henry, but the other two, adam and blue bringing ronan small things that they saw that made them think of him, that would fuck him up good at first.
which one of them sleeps in later
adam sleeps whenever he can and never really breaks that habit once he’s on a more traditional work schedule. if he has free time on the weekend, he’s out.
relatedly, if ronan’s not sleeping well adam will wake up first to take care of farm things that have to happen early in the morning.
which sides of the bed do they sleep on
i think ronan would want to sleep wherever ronan wants to and adam would have a side of the bed and it would cause #drama.
do they grocery shop as a unit or do they split up
adam is a coupon queen and ronan is a terror and so is opal so it’s easier for them to go to the grocery store and split up.
please imagine adam calmly counting coupons over one shopping cart, with chainsaw on his shoulder, while, in the background, opal is screeching in the back of a shopping cart as ronan rides it up a not-empty-enough aisle.
which one is better at mario kart
the lynch brothers are vicious about videogames and adam doesn’t have a lot of experience with them. henry and ronan are very intense about it and blue also gets very into it despite not being great. adam prefers to chill with gansey, who can only be convinced to play when tipsy so he can use that as an excuse for being The Worst.
which one of them lost their virginity first
it’s a tie
which one of them only has a facebook out of obligation
ronan obviously. henry demands to make both of them facebooks before adam goes to college. ronan’s profile picture is of chainsaw.
which one of them suggests compromise when they know they’re wrong
gansey suggests compromise no matter what is happening.
Education is a significant factor in one’s ability to do better than their parents, or even to do just as well. What people forget is that doing well in school isn’t just the result of hard work; one’s social class predicts how well he or she will do in school in the first place. To put it bluntly, upper-class kids have the resources and support necessary to get the kind of education that ensures they become upper-class adults.
The Blurb: a private Liberal Arts college located in Los Angeles, California, Occidental is affectionately known as “Oxy” by it’s students and alumni. The College features a unique core curriculum common to many liberal arts programs and is ranked by the Princeton Review as one of the Best Western Colleges
Acceptance Rate: 42%
Location: Los Angeles, California
Size: Medium-Small (roughly 2000 undergrads)
Housing: First year students are guaranteed on-Campus housing, with 80% of students overall living in campus housing
Financial Aid: Occidental meets 100% of demonstrated need, with slightly more than half of freshmen receiving financial aid of some sort. Merit aid is available.
Additional Notes: Oxy offers many unique joint-degree/cooperative programs: students can take classes at Cal-Tech, Art Center College of Design, and others. Students interested in Law can apply to Occidental’s accelerated law program with Columbia University.
Deah Shaddy Barakat, 23, of Chapel Hill, and his wife, Yusor Mohammad, 21, and her sister, Razan Mohammad Abu-Salha, 19, of Raleigh, were shot to death at an apartment building in Chapel Hill, N.C
The couple traveled to Turkey last year to provide free dental care to students, according to a Facebook page created in their memory by friends.
Muneeb Mustafa, 23, of Cary, said he attended the same Raleigh mosque as Barakat.
“He was a completely genuine guy. Loving, caring, friendly, smart,” Mustafa said. “He was an ideal human being. He was a role model.”
Abu-Salha was a sophomore studying architecture at North Carolina State University, and her sister was to begin classes there in the fall.
A moment of silence was planned Wednesday night during the N.C. State-University of Virginia basketball game, said Chancellor Randy Woodson. A candlelight vigil is scheduled for Thursday from 6 to 8 p.m.
“Senseless acts like this go against all of our beliefs,” he said, adding that one of the school’s core values is “respect for diversity in all its forms.”
Craig Stephen Hicks, 46, who turned himself in to authorities, has been charged with three counts of first-degree murder in the fatal shootings shortly after 5 p.m. Tuesday at a condominium complex in Chapel Hill. A neighbor called 911 reporting five to 10 shots and the sound of people screaming.
Police spokesman Lt. Joshua Mecimore said a preliminary investigation indicates the crime was “motivated by an ongoing neighbor dispute over parking” and that Hicks, who lives in the complex, is cooperating with investigators, according to newsobserver.com.
Hicks has been a full-time paralegal student at Durham Technical Community College. His profile on Facebook reads “Atheists for Equality” and he frequently posted quotes critical of religion.
He was also a Second Amendment advocate. Three weeks ago, he posted a photo of a .38-caliber revolver that he said was loaded and belonged to him. He is licensed to carry a concealed firearm.
Hello to my new tag list this a very silly little fic I wrote this evening. It so short and silly I haven’t bothered my lovely beta with it, so I do apologise if there is anything you don’t understand.
My apologies to anybody I’ve left off that didn’t want to be left off. I’ve started a new tag list and waited to see who wanted to stay in. Let me know if you still want tagging.
It had been just one week. One bloody week since Rae picked up her brand new Ford Puma. It was such a lovely car, so shiny and blue with all mod cons. It wasn’t something that she would ever be able to afford to buy. But she had a stroke of luck when she entered a prize crossword competition in a TV Guide and won first prize.