Welp, it’s only July and i’m already thinking about back to school shopping. I know it’s pretty early, but it’s better to start thinking and planning ahead of time than last minute! Am I the only one who gets excited for back to school shopping? I’m finally a college student and I figured no better way to make my big entrance than with a wardrobe revamp! Here I’m showing you guys a couple of my college wardrobe essentials. I’m super excited for Fall so there’s a ton of color palettes geared more towards Fall.
A huge tip I have for you guys is to buy a lot of things in each clothing category, meaning; buying dresses, skirts, tops, jeans, trousers, etc in different colors, styles, materials, etc. This way, if one day you out of the blue want to wear a dress, you have the option to because you made sure to buy dresses. I always made the mistake of only buying certain types of tops, or only buying certain types of jeans, or never buying a casual dress and in the end it was just terrible for me because I’d get random outfit ideas that usually required something I didn’t have. So be sure to buy items in each clothing category in neutral colors! Another tip I have is to step out of your comfort zone every once in a while. Fashion is so unique and designed specifically for you, so if you’ve seen a trend that you’ve really been digging but are to scared to try it, JUST DO! Stepping out of my comfort zone was a huge eye opener for me because I’ve been wearing things I would’ve never worn a few months back.
Remember that going back to school is always a new start, that’s your chance to change up your look and experiment! Set up an inspiration board (like I did) and start thinking about what you want your new style to be and what your fundamental pieces are going to be!
Essentials Break Down:
The basics to a wardrobe with variety is breaking down each category into casual and dressy. Then creating sub categories in those categories that have to do with the style, and color of the items.
- Tops: Crop tops, long sleeves, short sleeves, sleeveless, turtleneck, camis, collared, dressy, different patterns, neutrals, pastels, etc.
- Dresses: Babydoll, skater dresses, t-shirt dresses, bodycon dresses, different patterns, neutrals, pastels, etc.
- Pants: High rise, mid rise, low rise, skinny, wide legged, distressed, boyfriend, denim, knee slit, trousers, leggings, light washed, dark washed, medium washed, patterned, etc.
- Skirts: Skater, pencil, bodycon, asymmetrical, quilted, leather, fluffy, patterned, pastels, neutrals, etc.
- Shorts: High rise, low rise, denim, distressed, light washed, dark washed, medium washed, patterned, tailored, etc.
- Sweaters/Cardigans: Oversized, tailored, thick, thin, fluffy, cropped, turtle neck, pastel, etc.
- Coats: Light, duster, heavy duty, faux fur, leather, pastel, neutral, etc.
- Shoes: Loafers, casual, sneakers, dressy, heels, chunky, booties, combat, etc.
- Bags: Messenger, clutch, backpack, big, small, etc.
- Accessories (Hats/Watches/etc): Fedora, floppy, beanie, etc.
- Beauty Items: Nail polish, eye shadow, lipstick, mascara, neutral, bold, etc.
You can check out the links to the clothing items above on my polyvore “inspiration board” HERE.