Do you have any headcanons involving Hunk and his culture?
There are SO. MANY.
- Hunk is the the third of five kids; he has an older brother and sister, and a younger brother and sister.
- Both his parents are Samoan–his father hails from the village of Lalomanu on Upolu in the Independent Nation of Samoa and his mother is a Samoan-American who was born in Oakland, California.
- Hunk’s mother is the daughter of a church pastor who runs a Samoan Assembly of God
- Hunk and his siblings would be raised in this church until they moved to the east coast
- As a kid, Hunk actually loved celebrating White Sunday because saw that when he sang, it would make his grandmother happy; Hunk is super close to his grandma
- Hunk’s favorite song ever is an old Samoan song that he sang all the time with his grandma
- Hunk’s father made his way to the US by enlisting in the US Navy, which landed him in the Bay Area
- A few cousins of his brought him to the church, where he met Hunk’s mother
- They were married 2 years after they met
- Hunk’s father was naturalized as a US citizen when Hunk was 6 months old
- Hunk’s family moved from California to Norfolk, Virginia when he was 10 because his father’s fleet transferred to Naval Station Norfolk (his interest in Space came about when he found out that he was quite close to the Langley Research Center in Hampton)
- Hunk’s interest in space travel grew during his early teens, when he expressed a desire to learn more about his heritage
- Hunk was inspired by ancient Islanders exploring the Pacific
- Hunk is, like, half-fluent in Samoan (he understands more than he can speak), but he’s still learning (his favorite words are malosi, which means strength, and agalelei, which means kindness)
- When he was 15, his sister was born and he’d always sing Send Me the Pillow to her when she was upset; it always calmed her down
- Hunk plays old school Samoan songs when he is homesick and when he cleans, since his Saturdays at home always started with the sound of Samoan music and his mother barreling into his and his older brother’s room, demanding that they start cleaning
- One time, Hunk made the mistake of playing Pretty Lil Teine to Lance and Lance loved it so much that he learned all the words
- Whenever there’s a celebratory event, Hunk is always the one who helps his older sister make the ulas: graduations, weddings, birthdays–Hunk always helps make the ulas (click here if you don’t know what I’m talking about.)
- When Hunk was accepted to Galaxy Garrison, his folks threw a huuuuge shindig and buried him in ulas.
- Hunk gets L O U D when one of his sisters are the taupou and doing her taualuga and he has to escort her onto the floor
- Contrary to popular belief, Hunk actually sucks at football and rugby.
- Hunk doesn’t have any traditional tattoos because he feels like you have to earn it and he’s hella traditional about it and wants to go to his dad’s village to do it with permission of the elders
- Hunk’s favorite Samoan dish is pani popo, which is a coconut roll (his mother always made hers look and taste like a cinnamon roll with coconut sauce)