1. Such an important story to tell that happens to teenagers every day all over the world
2. The show does not shy away from important yet difficult to handle topics
3. Self harm, suicide and mental illness are not romanticized which is sadly still often the case in a lot of tv shows
4. The characters are so diverse !!
5. LGBT REPRESENTATION !!
6. The characters are very real, you might hate some of them but still sympathize with them on another level
7. All the important character on the show get actual screentime
8. The show shows how important it is for a school to be involved with their students and to have proper policies and consequences when it comes to bullying and harassment
9. The show really shows how something that seems small can have a major impact one someone’s life and how that can lead them downwards a dark vicious spiral
10. The show doesn’t shy away from the portayal of suic*de and r*pe, not for a schock effect but to show how horrible these acts and their effects afterwards are.(trigger warnings are shown before these particular episodes start!!)
11. The show really excelled in bringing the show to life from page to screen in such a way that you can really relate to these characters even though not all of them are good .
12. 13 reasons why is so different from other shows and stories as it isn’t really a love story or a story that starts sad and end happily ever after but it is instead a story that starts sad and stays sad but is not less if not more intriguing than your average young adult tv show.
13. And lastly 13 reasons why portrays not just the story of one person but the story of a community and how quickly everything within affects one another, it doesn’t just tell a story of bad guys and good guys but of actual people who’ve made both good and bad decisions in their lives.
Aries - “Dream big, they say. Shoot for the stars. Then they lock us away for 12 years, tell us where to sit, when to pee and what to think. Then when we turn 18, and even though we’ve never had an original thought, we have to make the most important decision of our lives.”
Taurus - “Favorite kind of music, ‘obscure indie bands’ ” *Tony’s little nod*
Gemini - “There’s all kinds of ways to feel lonely. The kind of lonely I’m talking about is when you feel you’ve got nothing left”.
Cancer - “You can’t love someone back to life”. “You can try”.
Leo - “Everyone is just so nice until they drive you to kill yourself. Sooner or later, the truth will come out. It’s gonna come out… Welcome to Liberty High”.
Virgo - “I can never make it right, I can never say all this to you, but I love you and I will never hurt you. I’m not going to, not now, not ever ”.
Libra - “Boys are assholes. Some are assholes all of the time. All are assholes some of the time”.
Scorpio - “I needed a change, just like they said, so I changed my appearance. The only thing I still had control over”.
Sagittarius - “It was a hot chocolate friendship. Good for the cold months, but maybe not perfect for all seasons.”
Capricorn - “At that moment, everything was perfect. And for the first time in a long time I could imagine a future where I was happy”.
Aquarius - “Losing a good friend is never easy. Especially when you don’t understand why you lost them in the first place”.
Pisces - “You can’t go back to how things were. How you thought they were. All you really have is… now”