I decided to share my notes taken from this amazing 1 hour Youtube lecture by Marty Lobdell. i really liked him and his tips, i think they are super effective and cover a lot of situations! i highly recommend it!!!!! wow
but here are the tips and examples Marty mentions, so if you don’t have the time to go through the full hour, you can just scroll down. hope this helps somebody!
Break your study time in chunks with breaks
most students lose focus at 25 minutes
it’s a mistake to keep going once you do, since you won’t actually learn anything and you’ll hate every minute of it
so when you start losing focus take a 5 minute break
do something nice like talking to someone or listening to music
it’s something you practice so with time you’ll be able to work for more time without losing focus
in the end of the study session have a big reward you look forward to
a study area
environment highly affects the way you act. Bedrooms are for sleeping, kitchens for eating: you’ll feel sleepy in your bedroom and hungry in the kitchen. So if you have a study area, it’ll be easier to start studying and staying focused.
study in a specific room like an office or school library if you can
if you have to study in your bedroom use a specific object you only use for studying: a lamp/desk. Make it a no-distraction, away from your bed, blank walls area.
more active the learning, the better
80% active learning 20% passive
ask yourself: is
it a concept or a fact?
learning a concept: understand/grasp/know it
put it into your own words
really think about the meaning of it
relate it with something you already
teach somebody else. Recapitulate
what you’ve learned. Talk out loud even if you don’t have anyone to teach - talk alone. Or at anyone that listens.
learning a fact: memorize it
(e.g. colours of the rainbow RoyGBiv – red orange yellow green blue indigo
sayings - anything popular or sayings you’ve heard since you were a child.
images – work even better if they’re weird. Creative associations make you
never forget specific details. (e.g. 1 gram of fat has 9 calories: picture a
fat cat – each cat has 9 lives)
any time 2 things are highly similar
but not the same you will get maximal interference!! USE mnemonics!! (e.g. afferent vs efferent neurons:
SAME - Sensory Afferent Motor Efferent)
Be a part of study
others can help you in ways you never thought before
Recognizing VS remembering
never confuse the two
while reviewing a chapter you may recognize concepts but not actually know them
and when you get to the test you won’t be able to remember any of it
so quiz yourself without looking at it
or stop in a page of your notes/textbook and ask yourself what is the concept immediately after and before it
Get your REM
get ~8 hours so you don’t undo your studying
this is how your brain stores permanent
without it you’re ability to remember seriously decreases
most people don’t even begin to take the advice but it’s simple: sleep better. Do better.
162 hours in a week. There is time.
reflect on what you are doing with your time and what activities you have to prioritize to succed as a student
notes is vital.
right after the class take 5 minutes to expand everything you’ve jotted down,
give it depth.
NOT hours later. You won’t remember half the things you wrote down.
Ask your questions to class mates and teachers.
teachers want you to succeed and it’s more than ok to ask your question in the teacher’s office or in the next class
How to use a textbook: SQ3R technique
Survey Question Read Recite Review
skim through the entire chapter in a couple of minutes.
Raise questions: e.g. what
is osmosis? What is this graphic about? What is a prototype?
causes you to look for answers and you’ll find the information better once you actually study it after. If you intend
to find something you learn it better.
studying for tests early.
don’t undo yourself. You should only be reviewing the days before the test. don’t leave it till the last minute!
(don’t just scroll through this!!!! really think about these methods and how you can actually implement them so you can benefit from them!!! these actually work but only if you put them into practice boo good luck!)
In 2016, a public school in Gardendale, Alabama stamped the words “I Need Lunch Money” on a child’s arm because of an unpaid bill – adding a smiley face, because the words alone didn’t convey the “Fuck you” well enough. It’s only a matter of time before the school starts weighing the cost-effectiveness of making these children wear shirts saying “I am a poor, hate me” as a uniform.
Gardendale is far from the only school district to turn lunch into a Philip K. Dickian nightmare, however. Plenty of states, like Pennsylvania and Utah, will take hot food from children unable to pay and throw it in the trash. They could feed another child with it, but it was served to a commie freeloader, so that food has lost all of its capitalist nutrients. Other children get threatened with “The Sandwich,” which sounds like a humiliating frat initiation but is in fact two pieces of cold bread with maybe something cheap in between, easily marking out these hungry unfortunates for efficient bullying. Administrators do assure that The Sandwich meets the minimum federal requirements – because when it comes to human decency, some schools gladly settle for being D students.
The Department of Agriculture is trying to get states to cut these practices out, on the basis of America still pretending it isn’t a dystopia, but they’re ultimately leaving the burden up to the states. So far, only New Mexico has tried to ban lunch money shaming entirely, reducing the amount of school-based shaming statewide by a full 6 percent. For everyone else, though, we can do nothing but hope that The Sandwich doesn’t eventually devolve into The Bowl of Gruel, which students have to work off in the textile mill after class.
1. you have made it to 20! what a whirlwind year it has been but if you can survive 2016 you can survive anything.
2. remember that love trumps hate any day, everyday. just keep spreading love and being the best person you can be.
3. last year was definitely not your year for romance, try it this year though. I have a feeling a lot of love is coming your way.
4. school is a priority, do not ever forget that. you are so fortunate to be able to even attend college so just try your hardest in each and every class.
5. DO NOT SKIP YOUR 8AM! you signed up for it, you now have your afternoons free to study as you please. it’s an important class and really an hour difference of sleep is not going to kill you.
6. go to bed early, you’ll thank yourself when that 8am roles around.
7. take care of your body. eat healthy but eat good. make sure you are hydrated and exercise on the days that you can. you know that you always feel so good after you exercise.
8. keep meeting new people and keep making friends. talk to people in your classes, make new friends and study buddies.
9. when you are not feeling good on the inside remember to just take time to unplug and go outside.
10. remember your worth. this can be applied to friendships, to relationships and even when you are with just with yourself. you are worth so much and you have purpose, you are just starting to figure out new parts of your journey, don’t be so hard on yourself.
11. you can change your mind.
12. don’t let people make you feel bad for not wanting to do what you used to do, for changing and growing.
13. do not be afraid to let this love inside. when people give it to you sometimes you make up excuses to not take it. don’t do this, embrace the love and keep giving yours as well.
14. last year was so hard there is no doubt. but baby he doesn’t think about you anymore and you were not worth anything to him. that was not love and there is no love there. he is in the past, he is not your future. just let it go. let him go. no more.
15. you make each day what you will. it’s up to you and you are writing your story, you get to decided the paths that you take and the people you get to take it with. mistakes happen along the way and you can recover. you are in charge.
16. just spread love. give it to yourself in abundance and give it to the people you meet and want to keep getting to know.
17. be who you want to be in 2017. there are so many possibilities and so many different outcomes and lots of things that we do and do not have control over. make sure that the things you can control that you do. make sure that you spread love and light. we all are going to need it.
North Florida Christian is a private school in Tallahassee, Florida, that is now tangled up in a huge controversy over hair.
Jenesis Johnson, a 17-year-old black student, told local reporters that she was cornered by a teacher about her hair.
A teacher began prodding Johnson about how long she’s worn her hair in an afro, and soon other students jumped into the conversation.
“She said that my hair needs to be fixed, it was not neat and needs to be put in a style,” Johnson told reporters at local CBS affiliate WCTV about her initial conversation with the teacher. “My hair is fixed.”
Two weeks later, Johnson was called into the assistant principal’s office. “She said your hair is extreme and faddish and out of control. It’s all over the place,” Johnson told WCTV. What’s worse is that the principal said that Johnson’s afro went against school rules and was a distraction for other students in her classes. Read more (5/22/17)
Here is something I wrote a few years ago that is still quite applicable, especially re:Hot Pocket™ safety.
Hello, high school graduates! All of you are likely close to collapsing under the weight of well meaning old-people’s advice, which for the past few months has piled up like so much smug, well-meaning snow. Allow me to add my own dusting.
1. Leave high school behind you, now. Whether you were the most devastatingly cool guy in all of McNary High School or the most excruciatingly awkward girl at Sprague, once you leave high school, no one will know. Or, more importantly, care. Most really cool people who do interesting, creative things with their lives didn’t have super happy high school careers. Many really cool people had great high school experiences. But any reasonably cool person over the age of 19 knows that what you earned, or endured, in high school has zero bearing on who you are the day you graduate. I know. It seems SO IMPORTANT now. But … it’s not. Not even a little.
2. Manners count, and they’re free. You can get away with murder if you do it politely, because whoever expects a polite murderer? Manners make other people feel comfortable and happy and respected, and when people feel comfortable, happy and respected they are 8,000 percent more likely to let you get your way.
Say please, thank you, excuse me, it was so nice to meet you, hope I see you again soon. Whatever you do, send thank-you notes so people are inclined to keep doing nice things for you.
3. Chew with your mouth closed. In fact, sometime when you’re alone, go sit in front of a mirror and watch yourself eat, then make any necessary adjustments now before it becomes a permanent habit.
4. If people expect you to go to college, but you’re not super-excited about it, skip a year and work before you head off. It’s not the end of the world, and it doesn’t make you a failure. That time is too expensive and too precious to use on something you’re half-assed about. Also, I speak from experience — folding jeans at a store in the mall for minimum wage for a few months made me feel very differently about how tedious and mindless sitting through a lecture class feels.
5. Unkindness, from here on out, becomes less and less attractive. Cruelty is one of the four main currencies of high school, along with attractiveness, athletic ability and actual currency provided by your parents (I see you, West Salem kids!). In high school, a profoundly mediocre person can rule — or at least maintain a position at the periphery of the popular kids’ group — through fear.
But once you get into college, you begin to leave that b.s. behind you. You don’t have to be mean to be funny. You don’t have to be mean to disagree with someone. You don’t have to be mean to someone powerless to prove your power. All meanness showcases is that you have ugly internal architecture. And as the facades that were so important in high school fade, that is what others will see when they look at you.
6. Know which classes you have to go to, and which ones can be skipped in lieu of more important things. Yes, if you want to go to Harvard Law or John Hopkins Med, you need to ace all your impossibly difficult classes. But if you want to do something post-college that doesn’t involve grad school — if you want to work in non-profits, if you want to write for a paper, if you want to do public relations, if you want to run a business — then instead, look for ways that you can get those experiences in college.
Join extracurriculars that mimic the experiences you someday want to get paid for. If you hate doing it for free, then chances are you’ll resent it even when you get paid for it. Also, this way, when you graduate college, you can prove to employers that you did something, not just wrote compelling papers on the metaphysical nature of being.
7. If you’re a person for whom the hooking up thing doesn’t work, then don’t do it. College is a time of lots and lots of casual sex. This, I think, plays pretty well into what many — not all, but many — 18-year-old guys want, and terribly into what most — not all, but most — 18-year-old girls want. Know what you want, and don’t feel bad if that’s not in line with what someone else wants. Also, know that after freshman year, people begin to date again rather than just drunkenly coupling and uncoupling.
8. Freshman year, you can and should be friends with everyone. Sophomore year will tell who is actually worth keeping.
9. After you microwave a Hot Pocket, be sure to gently tug open the end and let the steam out, and wait a couple minutes, because there is nothing more painful than a Hot Pocket steam-and-molten-cheese burn to the top of the mouth.
10. Don’t tell the internet too much about your love life, or deep innermost feelings, or secrets. It’s none of the Internet’s business, but the Internet has a big mouth and a long, long memory. Make good friends, and tell them in person when you hang out in each other’s dorm rooms and watch movies and eat Funfetti frosting straight out of the jar. Do this a lot. It doesn’t seem important, but it is.
a/n: if you want to be added to my tag list leave a comment below or drop it into my ask box and ill add you!! i have three different lists one for each of my short series and one for all my posts!! happy reading be sure to leave a request!🦋💙
request: can i ask for a reggie x reader where he tries to ask her out but plays hard to get? thanks! :)
it was just another pep rally for the river vixens but for cheryl blossom it meant that there was another opportunity to be in the spotlight, being the captain and all.
you smile over to your red headed best friend, she was nervous like always. her parents had attended every single bulldog/vixen event but after jason’s death they had stopped because the memories flooded back each time they sat in those bleachers.
tonight was different though, tonight both blossom parents were here to support the teenage girl, so we had practice every damn day for at least a few hours.
we had to make this rally perfect so cheryl could show her parents what they’ve been missing.
“you know this routine inside and out cheryl, you could do it in your sleep” you reassure her placing a comforting hand on her shoulder.
“thank you” she smiles softly at you “what are best friends for?” you giggle bumping her hip with your own as you apply your last coat of mascara to your eyelashes.
it was our fifth and final period and cheryl had ordered an emergency practice which resulted us being forced out to practice on the field with the jocks because the gym was being occupied by freshman gym class.
“5 minute break” cheryl yells allowing us to rest and hydrate.
you wonder over to the drinks table pouring yourself a cup a icy water from the cooler they leave there for the jocks.
“drinking our water i see?” you jump at the sudden voice almost covering yourself in water “god you scared me” you mumble wiping your mouth of the fallen liquid.
it was the one and only reggie mantle, it was common knowledge to all the kids at riverdale high that the raven haired jock had a thing for you. you flirted back and fourth tension building between the two of you.
he’d asked you out multiple times as well as half the other guys on the team but you refused to date anyone of them. the girls on your squad were puzzled at your decision to turn down only the best of riverdale high but you just shrugged it off.
you didn’t want to fall into the stereo type of an ‘easy’ cheerleader.
its not that you weren’t attracted to him because god, you were. he was tall, strong one of the best bodies in your year but he was more than that. you were the only one who’d seen past his bad boy jock facade.
he had everybody fooled, except you.
“can’t a hard working vixen get herself some cold water?”
he smirks “depends” he steps closer continuing to flirt
“will this working hard-gorgeous vixen want to go on a date with this beautiful specimen of a bulldog”
you roll your eyes placing the cup back down on the table
“you know what I’m actually not that thirsty” you turn and walk back toward your squad, swinging your hips as you know his eyes are watching your every agonising move.
“your going to have to try harder than that reg” you yell to the boy
he bites his clenched fist before jogging over to his jock friends.
you begin to stretch when cheryl approach you a smirk evident on her face. you grab her shoulder to stabilise yourself as you tuck one foot up.
“what are you doing?” she questions you, looking you up and down then behind you were you know reggie is staring based on the voice of coach clayton yelling at the poor boy.
“mantle! ball. over here” you giggle turning and giving the small boy a wave
“gosh (y/n) why don’t you just say yes!” the captain fumes at you.
“because its reggie cheryl” you muse taking a break from the stretching.
she huffs crossing her arms over her chest.
“oh c’mon you don’t seriously think i should go out with him? you hate reggie and me dating jocks remember what happened last time?”
she ignores you staring off behind you
“god what are you looking out” you turn spotting a familiar red head looking your way.
you smile and wave at your long time friend before turning and facing your best friend.”
“oh. my. god.” you squeal bouncing on your feet
“what now?” she snaps
you grin widely “you have a thing for andrews gah this is golden!!”
her eyes widen and she shakes her head “no i don’t!” she defends
you laugh clapping your hands together
“it doesn’t matter his into you- they’re all freaking into you”
your features soften “cheryl archie is NOT into me”
“I’m serious its completely platonic- wait what does this have to do with me and mantle?” you question dipping down to touch your toes.
“well if you start seeing the bimbo jock-” you interrupt her “don’t call him that”
she sighs “anyways if you start seeing each other than you my dear friend can put in a good word with efron- and then we can have double dates at pop’s!”
“god you didn’t just refer to archie as zac efron” you giggle
she narrows her eyes causing you to shoot your hands up “fine fine ill put in a good word to archiekins, i don’t need reggie for that”.
you bend down again touching your toes when you hear whistles and a huge thud.
you both turn quickly glancing as reggie is sprawled out onto the floor clutching his head as he rips off his helmet. before you know it your legs are carrying you over to the injured boy dropping to your knees as you approach him
“reg oh my god are you okay what happened?!” you bout running your hands over his face worry covering your expression like a blanket.
he winces trying to stand up only to stumble down, you stand quickly trying to bare all his weight. “arch” you mumble begging for the bulldog to help you out.
he swoops over holding the boy up, “what happened?!” you exclaim glancing at his team mates they all go quite holding in laughter “what?!” you ask confessed looking to your friend and the injured raven haired jock.
arch sighs laughing before answering “someone was having a good look at your ass and moose clocked him because someone didn’t have his head in the game”
you laugh covering your mouth as your cheeks heat up “hey i wasn’t-” he tries to defend himself leaning against his team mate.
“oh im sure you weren’t” you tease poking his chest
“practice is over mantle your on the beach tonight” he throws his hands in the air in frustration pulling away from the support of his red headed best friend
“c'mon coach-” coach clayton tucks his clipboard under his arm pointing a finger at the raven headed captain “i can’t afford you trying to show off to your girl- rest up”
your eyes fall to the ground blushing as Reggies attempts to cover up what his coach just said
a laugh spills from your mouth but your hands dart up to stop anymore from being realised. he glances at you with pleading eyes his rosy cheeks evident on his tan skin.
“(y/n)!” you turn to see your best friend yelling your name “i gotta get back to practice to you need help getting him to the bench?”
archie shakes his head adjusting his grip on the sulking boy “nah we’re good, go back to cheryl before she bursts a vessel”
you give the two boys a two finger salute before winking and rushing back over to your hot headed cheer captain
“jeez cap don’t get your knickers in a knot” you complain throwing your hair up into a pony tail.
she huffs turning and clapping to get the vixens attention “lets go bitches formation!” she yells
you roll your eyes getting into position catching the boys staring as we start our routine. “be right back” you mumble to the red head before jogging over to the pair on the first row of the bleachers
“yes” you smile catching reggies attention, the ice pack of his head slipping as he moves his hand away. they share a confused glance before looking back at the dumb smile on your face.
“wait what?” the raven haired boy chuckles nervously “ill come with you- on a date. pop’s. tonight” you speak with confidence twirling your hair.
a smile grows on his lips “really?” you dip down to reach his eye level “as long as ginger god comes too, for my ginger goddess” you point to the anger cheerleader standing with her vixens
“deal?” you question smile lazily placing your hand on his thigh
he looks to archie and he shrugs “im in” you give your friend a fist pump before looking back to the shy boy “deal” he finally speaks smiling up at me.
“what made you change your mind?” he asks nervously
you bite your lip backing away “i told you mantle, you had to work for it”
his smugness overwhelms his features archie elbow him in giddiness as he watches his friend flirt with the girl of his jock dreams
TAG LIST✨👱🏻♀️: @hauntedcherryblossombanana-blog @sadbreakfastclb @jugandbettsdetectiveagency
Aoyama Yuuga just recently broke his personal record at the gym. He can now bench press 9 lbs.
Ashido Mina’s least favorite word is musty. It reminds her of a girl from her middle school whose foundation/concealer always looked funky and stale.
Asui Tsuyu believes robots are a danger to humanity.
Iida Tenya was once dared by Kaminari Denki to discreetly look through Mineta’s cellphone search history. He expected to be disgusted by what he saw, but was left feeling genuinely intrigued. He kept what he saw to himself.
Uraraka Ochako once fell asleep with a face mask on and woke up with her face looking more red and patchy than a ginger with a beard. School the next day was not enjoyable.
Ojiro Mashirao will leave empty containers in the dorm pantry and fridge because he is a savage.
Kaminari Denki ranked his female classmates based on their face and personalities. The paper fell out of his bag accidentally as he was leaving the classroom at the end of the day. Needless to say, this caused a huge debacle when Ashido Mina was the first to see it. Eventually, the girls ganged up on Kaminari to question him, but he managed to weasel his way out by saying that Mineta was the one who wrote it.
Kirishima Eijiro thinks The Onion is a real, legitimate news source.
Kouda Kouji has a club penguin account.
Satou Rikidou plans on being a certified Zumba instructor - in addition to being a pro hero when he graduates from U.A..
Shouji Mezou is into extreme couponing. He will not spend a dime on something he does not need.
Jirou Kyouka knew Kaminari was the one who wrote the list, but kept quiet about it because he ranked her as #1.
Sero Hanta once got so drunk he drove a lawn mower through the city to get some air.
Tokoyami Fumikage lowkey looks down on people who own selfie sticks and use them in public.
Todoroki Shouto gets emails every morning from Urban Dictionary’s Word of the Day. Todoroki felt a familiar buzz in his pocket as he left for class. He flipped his phone open and read the screen. “Unload the Groceries: a deceptive way of saying you are taking a shit,” he read silently. He hummed, his face expressionless as he did so. “Clever,” he murmured, and continued on his way.
Hagakure Tooru secretly enjoys the smell of sharpies.
Bakugou Katsuki is tired of his classmates eating the food he makes. So now, whenever he has leftovers, he puts a note on the container, writing something like “Don’t you fucking dare!” or “I’ll rip your fucking face off if you eat my shit!”
Midoriya Izuku is a strong believer of pineapple on pizza, and will fight for it as needed.
Mineta Minoru once pissed in public and was almost charged with public indecency. He got let off with a slap on the wrist because the police thought he was a child.
Yaoyorozu Momo has all seven seasons of TrueBlood in HD, and has re-watched the show four times.
“Unload the groceries” is a real thing on urban dictionary. Check it out.
Okay but Yousef sending her something about a small conversation they had on Saturday. Like he knew how her brother’s comment probably upset her and he messages her something so encouraging and nice and then uses that to also become friends w her on fb. SUCH GOOD CONTENT. 10/10. YES YOUSEF KEEP GOING. Sana deserves this kind of attention