Things in modern history we should’ve learned in school, but didn’t:
Things in modern history we should’ve learned, but didn’t:
- The Troubles, a series of violent conflicts between the Irish and English over who would control Northern Ireland that lasted about 30 years.
- The UK’s economic slump in 1980-1 that led to riots
- Margaret Thatcher’s policies led to unemployment and a housing crisis that persists to this day
- The Falklands War
- The Iran-Iraq War
- Canada’s separation from England in 1982
- Kwangju Massacre in South Korea following an uprising over military leader Commander General Chun Doo-Hwan declaring martial law and seizing control of the country. An estimated 600 people died.
- Indira Gandhi’s assassination following Operation Blue Star, which lead to damage to the most sacred Sikh shrine and deaths of innocents
- The Chechen Wars
- The Rwandan Genocide
- The Oka Crisis between Canada and the Mohawk nation in 1990
- Afghanistan falling under Taliban rule in 1996
- The LA Riots over the acquittal of four police officers by an all-white jury in the Rodney King police brutality case
- The Somali Civil War
Feel free to add more.