Choosing A Deity/ Being Chosen By The Divine
Short version in bold.
There are several methods for discerning which Deity you choose to follow. It can hard for beginning Pagans/Wiccans/etc to know if they are worshiping the “right” Deity. Hopefully this short guide can help clear this up a bit for beginners.
I’ll start by saying there is no “right” or “permanent” Deity for you to follow if you are an eclectic witch. There are some branches of Wicca (and I’m sure other religions too) that focus on only one of two deities exclusively. Know that if you officially join one of these branches people will expect you to be following the Deity(es) of that specific branch.
I say there is no “right” Deity because we are all different and we all have different needs that we would like met by the divine. We all come from different backgrounds. For example someone who has a rough relationship with their mother may have trouble connecting with Goddesses like the triple goddess, Hera, or Isis. I say there is no “permanent” deity because the universe is always changing, as are we. This is another thing that depends on individual person and Deity. Some people like to have one permanent Deity that they are devoted to for their entire life, and that is perfectly ok! I’m just stating that you shouldn’t feel guilty if you start to feel like a new deity is calling to you. As we change the Deities that seek us out will change also. Someone starting to go through an identity crisis may no longer like to worship deities that represent what they used to be (be it gender, sexuality, morality, life goals, etc).
So when it comes time in your life to choose a Deity, or if you feel that one is choosing you, where do you start? How do you identify what new being is trying to enter your life?
1. Choose based on your ancestors. Some people like to go back to their roots when choosing a Deity. They feel that worshiping the same Deities their ancestors worshiped bring a closer connection with both their past lives and the Deity.
2. Choose a Deity that has some of the same qualities you already have. Find a Deity that you identify well with. One that you feel like you share a craft/hobby/way of life with. If you are athletic chose a Deity of sport or hunting. Artsy? Worship a muse or a Deity of art! Love plants/nature? Music? Math? Romance? Meddling in other people’s affairs? There is a Deity associated with almost anything. If you feel you and the Deity are alike in some ways it will make it easier to communicate.
3. Choose a Deity based on qualities you want brought into your life. There are a lot of people who worship based on what they want brought into their life. The same way that farmers use to worship Deities who brought good harvests to their fields. Do you want protection? Bravery? Courage? Strength? Love? Intelligence? There are many Deities that if you follow them devoutly can bestow these gifts upon you.
4. Use divination to contact any Deities trying to connect with you. You have to be careful with this one. Any time you open up for spiritual contact you have to be very specific in what you’re looking for and adequately protected, or anything could show up. Using divination can give you clear and direct results which is nice. This is a good method if you want to see which Deities are seeking you out instead of you choosing yourself. This can be beneficial because if the Deity is choosing you they must want you as a follower and you know they will be present in your rituals.
5. Meditation. Meditation is another good tool for connecting to spirit. Here again please be careful and know what you are calling out to. There are endless guided meditations on YouTube that you can use to help you connect with any Divine beings that what to make contact with you. Again this is helpful if you want to know that the Deity you are following is definitely listening.
You should choose whichever method feels right to you! Everyone follows a slightly different path. I wish you all the best.
Created by: @becomingwiccan