Oxygen Magazine’s Chocolate Whey Protein Bars!
These no-bake protein bars are great postworkout fuel (and a cinch to make)!
Recipe by Anna Sward; Photography Peter Chou
Fit Fact: Dark chocolate fights free-radical damage with flavonoids, and helps raise good (HDL) cholesterol and reduce inflammation, which in turn helps your heart and muscles get the most efficient flow of nutrients. The best part? Each serving of these bars provides exactly one square of chocolate (the perfect portion), so you get all the health benefits with none of the guilt.
CHOCOLATE WHEY PROTEIN BARS
Ready in 35 minutes • Makes 4 servings
½ cup of milk chocolate whey protein
3 tbsp of almond butter
½ cup of ground oats
2 tbsp of coconut flour
2 tbsp of ground almonds
½ cup of water
4 squares of 90% dark chocolate (for coating)
1. Blend together all ingredients (except for the chocolate)
2. Shape the mixture into bars
3. Melt the chocolate in a bain marie (i.e. a glass bowl on top of a pot of boiling water)
4. Dip each bar into the melted chocolate to coat it (using a spatula is best for this job)
5. Place the bars in the fridge for an hour or the freezer for 25 minutes
6. Wrap in tin foil to carry the bar with you and/or eat one right away!
Nutrients per serving:
Calories: 271, Total Fats: 14 g, Saturated Fat: 4 g, Trans Fat: 0 g, Cholesterol: 13 mg, Sodium: 51 mg, Total Carbohydrates: 20 g, Dietary Fiber: 6 g, Sugars: 4 g, Protein: 17 g, Iron: 4 mg
*We goofed in our September issue. Make sure you mix in ½ cup water in step one. We are so sorry for the error!