Summary: Sometimes she worries she’s settling — for a smaller job, a smaller city, a smaller life than she’d promised herself — but that was before she found out Jughead Jones lives in Chicago. That was before she found out the final secret of Jason Blossom’s murder.
slow-burn, eventual smut, eventual references to violence.
There are some weeks you eat lots of kale salads and açai bowls and only drink green tea. Then there are weeks where you eat grilled cheese for four meals in a row and main-line stale coffee. This week is one of the latter. Which is why she is so glad Mary has invited her to dinner.
Her move had not gone smoothly. A truck full of her boxes had somehow wound up in Kentucky, an unlikely outcome she refused to think too hard about because, really, that meant at some point the truck driver had to turn left and south instead of right and north but whatever. It’s fine.
2. “I got a good woman” is a bad way to
begin the Blues, unless you stick something nasty in the next line like,
“I got a good woman, with the meanest face in town.”
3. The Blues is simple. After you get the first line
right, repeat it. Then find something that rhymes…sort of: “Got a good
woman with the meanest face in town. Yes, I got a good woman with the meanest
face in town. Got teeth like Margaret Thatcher, and she
weighs 500 pounds.”
4. The Blues is not about choice. You’re stuck in a
ditch, you’re stuck in a ditch - ain’t no way out.
5. Blues cars: Chevys, Fords, Cadillacs and
broken-down trucks. Blues don’t travel in Volvos, BMWs, or Sport Utility
Vehicles. Most Blues transportation is a Greyhound bus or a southbound train,
blues NEVER go on the northbound train. Jet aircraft and state-sponsored motor
pools ain’t even in the running. Walkin’ plays a major part in the blues
lifestyle. So, does fixin’ to die.
6. Teenagers can’t sing the Blues. They ain’t fixin’
to die yet. Adults sing the Blues. In Blues, “adulthood” means being
old enough to get the electric chair if you shoot a man in Memphis.
7. Blues can take place in New York City but not in
Hawaii or any place in Canada. Hard times in Minneapolis or Seattle is probably
just clinical depression. Chicago, St. Louis, and Kansas City are still the
best places to have the Blues. You cannot have the blues in any place that
don’t get rain.
8. A man with male pattern baldness ain’t the blues. A
woman with male pattern baldness is. Breaking your leg because you were skiing is not the
blues. Breaking your leg ‘cause an alligator be chomping on it is.
9. You can’t have no Blues in an office or a shopping
mall. The lighting is wrong. Go outside to the parking lot or sit by the
for the Blues: a. highway b. jailhouse Bad places for the Blues: a. Nordstrom
b. gallery openings c. Ivy League institutions d. golf courses
11. No one will believe it’s the Blues if you wear a
suit, 'less you happen to be an old person, and you slept in it for the last 6
12. Do you have the right to sing the Blues? Yes, if:
a. you’re older than dirt b. you’re blind
c. you shot a man in Memphis Not if: a. you have all your teeth b. you
were once blind but can see c. the man in Memphis lived d. you have a 401K or trust fund now
13. Blues is not a matter of color. It’s a matter of
bad luck. Tiger Woods cannot sing the blues. Sonny Liston could. Ugly white
people also got leg up on the blues.
14. If you ask for water and your darlin’ give you
gasoline, it’s the Blues. Other acceptable Blues beverages are: a. muddy water b. nasty black coffee
The following are NOT Blues beverages: a. Perrier b.
Chardonnay c. Snapple d.
15. If death occurs in a cheap motel or a shotgun
shack, it’s a Blues death. Stabbed in the back by a jealous lover is another
Blues way to die. So is the electric chair, substance abuse and dying lonely on a broken-down cot. You can’t
have a Blues death if you die during a tennis match or while getting
16. Some Blues names for women: a. Sadie b. Big Mama c.
Bessie d. Fat River Dumpling
17. Some Blues names for men: a. Joe b. Willie c. Little
Willie d. Big Willie
18. Persons with names like Michelle, Amber, Debbie,
and Heather can’t sing the Blues no matter how many men they shoot in Memphis.
19. “Make your own Blues Name” Starter Kit:
a. name of physical infirmity (Blind, Cripple, Lame, etc.) b. first name (see
above) plus name of fruit (Lemon, Lime, Kiwi, etc.) c. last name of a President
(Jefferson, Johnson, Fillmore, etc.) For example: Blind Lime Jefferson, Pegleg
Lemon Johnson or Cripple Kiwi Fillmore, etc. (Well, maybe not “Kiwi.”)
20. I don’t care how tragic your life: if you own even
one computer, you cannot sing the blues. If you are reading this on a computer
- maybe you cannot sing the Blues - but you sure can listen to it…
So my best friend and I took on Chicago last weekend, and it was honestly the happiest I’ve been in a long long time. Not to say I’m not happy frequently, because honestly I am. But I truly felt like myself and like I was enjoying life during this trip. It was four days, but felt so much longer. Being that I’m an architecture major, you can assume that I was geeking out this whole trip…and you wouldn’t be wrong. I took so many pictures, and the ones included are only a small portion of them. My friend and I went on an architectural boat tour of the city, and she told me I was “like a kid at Christmas.” Not wrong ahah! I took a lot of pictures in hopes of recreating them in my sketchbook, or using them for further inspiration. Aside from the boat tour, we walked around the city, shopped a little, hung out with her family, she got a tattoo (so freaking cute I hope she does a post about hers on her blog), and we went to the zoo. Needless to say, it was an eventful trip, but very much needed. Good way to say goodbye to summer (and our childhood I guess) as we both head off to college in a few weeks.
I’m not even trying to catch up with Niall and his intense press circuit, but last week’s kiss fm radio interview in Chicago/The Sprite lounge was a blessing.
5. Rapped Eminem. Just completely spontaneously after being asked to name his favorite rapper. Clearly an 8 Mile fan.
4. Favorite song is Dreams by Fleetwood Mac, followed by Desperado by the Eagles. (Bonus: Teased that Liam’s answer probably included T Pain, lol)
3. Loves Chicago by “a long long mile” over any other city in the U.S. - best people, bars, restaurants, beauty and culture. His top cities include London, Melbourne, Tokyo and Chicago.
2. Best thing about the fans has been their loyalty, and he’s most proud of playing stadiums. “Not many people can say that.”
1. Legit hilarious reacting to old gifs of himself when he was 18/19. At one point he swiveled his chair and just stared at the screen and then shook his head fondly/embarrassedly, lol. Crowd asked him to reenact them and he responded: “I’m 23!” God bless.
Also, I laughed when Niall said his favorite condiment was mayonnaise given the mocking of “mayo” whitebread culture here on tumblr. But his dryness/self awareness is what saves him all the fucking time. “Riveting content here on kissfm.com”. Ha! Indeed.
Y’all can fight me on this, but the second amendment is so outdated, just taking into account the shootings in Chicago alone. Trump really thinks sending the feds into Chicago is going to deter gun violence in the city, when really the best way to combat the high rates of gun violence is to take away guns. Regular, everyday citizens don’t fucking need guns and shouldn’t have access to them. You can defend yourself just as effectively, with less training, and without killing anybody, by owning a taser.
Little kids are dying in school shootings. Little kids in the south side of Chicago are dying from gang shootings! Background checks aren’t doing anything but making criminals more stealthy. Building up and militarizing the police isn’t doing anything but creating a larger rift between officers and citizens. Guns need to fucking go.
1. Best cast recording to listen to during a long car trip? -Book of Mormon, Something Rotten, Natasha, Pierre, and The Great Comet of 1812, Falsettos (I’m sorry I cannot decide they would all be jammin’ for a road trip)
2. Song you’d blast from the top of a skyscraper? -Man Up!
15. What would you say if you met your Broadway fave? -Cry and be unable to say anything tbh. I got really flustered at the stagedoor seeing some broadway performers so I can’t imagine how I’d act in front of a favorite.
16. Best musical theatre location? Orlando, Santa Fe, Chicago, or the Emerald City? -drum beat- ORLAANNDDOOo-jk Emerald City
20. What book, movie, or TV show do you think should be made into a musical? -Give me Pan’s Labyrinth the musical?? It’d be beautiful.