My dear, you keep conveniently forgetting the single most important obstacle to the rise of a fascist dictator: a stable, peaceful, prosperous democracy. You can have every element listed in those fearmongering checkoff lists about fascism, but with that ginormous obstacle in play, fascism will never come to these shores. Not only that, our 2nd Amd rights and our professional military will ensure that our people will never be subjugated by force, whether by foreign threats or from within.
Ok, you now sound like an NRA nut…and that’s being nice about it. “Yeah! Civil war! Guns. Rah rah! American is infallible and untouchable! Pew Pew Pew!”. Just for the record, you know who owns the vast majority of guns in this country? His insane supporters. That’s going to work out great for anyone going against them.
Anyway, Second Amendment Armed Resistance lunacy aside, a “stable, peaceful, prosperous democracy?” you say. Ok. Let’s break down that fallacy with a few facts.
- First and foremost, according to the Economist Intelligence Unit, as of 2017 the USA is no longer a “full democracy”, but instead considered a “flawed democracy”. Other countries on that same category? The Philippines, South Korea, and Greece for example. Great company we’re keeping.
- Reuters just instructed it’s staff to cover the US/Trump the way they cover any other authoritarian regime. And yes, they used the word “authoritarian”. That means one of the largest and most respected international news agencies just put the US in the same context as Turkey, the Philippines, Egypt, Iraq, Yemen, Thailand, China, Zimbabwe, and Russia.
- “Donald Trump filed with the FEC for 2020 reelection on January 20th, 2017. This is major for several reasons. First and foremost, it is NOT NORMAL. Obama filed for 2012 reelection in April 2011. Incumbent declaring before midterms is unheard of. Several MAJOR implications. If officially a candidate, can use candidate status to curry favor with PACs, businesses, other organizations. Because he’s acting as Trump the candidate, not Trump the president. Different rules apply. Even more importantly - completely changes how non profits can handle him. 501c3’s cannot “campaign” or risk losing nonprofit status. It means they can’t speak negatively about him. Imagine @PPact having to convey risk to #PlannedParenthood w/ limits on how to address. This throws nonprofits’ strategy for next few years into chaos. They must figure out how to work against Trump w/o “campaigning.“ And further muddies the already swampy ethical waters of financial gain, conflicts of interest, and business transactions. Filed 5PM #InaugurationDay2017. 5 HOURS after swearing in. This is what #TheResistance is up against. Diabolical maneuvering to skirt all conventional forms of #resistance. Norms don’t matter; it’s all about finding new ways to silence us. Again, THIS IS NOT NORMAL. Stay vigilant, stay ready to fight. We’re going to have to defy our own norms to resist. This is IRS regulation re. 501c3s. They’re smart, creative & used to this, but adds add'l hurdles/potential legal battles they don’t need. To re-clarify: likely motivation is raising $$ and using PACs for propaganda. Nonprofits know what they’re doing. But consider 1/28 events. W/ unprecedented legal/Constitutional challenges & Bannon at helm, don’t rule out attacks on previously held norms re. how non-profs operate. Addendum to thread: after getting more feedback, 501©3 issues are a discussion best had outside of the context of the candidacy filing.”
- This has actually come out of Bannon’s mouth: ““I’m a Leninist. Lenin wanted to destroy the state and that’s my goal too. I want to bring everything crashing down, and destroy all of today’s establishment.” Bannon was employing Lenin’s strategy for Tea Party populist goals. He included in that group the Republican and Democratic Parties, as well as the traditional conservative press.”
- Military convoys in Kentucky are driving around the streets flying Trump flags on their tanks.
- Cheeto Hitler threatened to send US troops to Mexico to stop “bad hombres down there,” in phone call with Peña Nieto that was supposed to patch things up after The Wall debacle. Let that sink in: The POTUS told the president of Mexico he would invade Mexico. Bannon has also said that he has “no doubt” the US will be at war with China within the next few years. This isn’t funny anymore.
- Today Democrats decided to boycott the vote on Price and Mnuchin. Rules say you can’t vote on nominees without at least one person from each party present so Democrats just didn’t show up. The Senate committee went ahead and approved Trump Treasury and Health nominees without Democrats present after GOP unilaterally changed panel’s rules. I’m going to quote this: “The GOP just broke major committee’s rules to push through the nominations of Price/Mnuchin. This is an unprecedented break in Senate decorum. This means the Senate GOP are turning the Senate committee’s procedures into House committee’s procedures. This is dangerous because the Senate is the only institution where the minority party has the institutional rules to stop the majority & make itself heard. Madison warned us greatly about the tyranny of the majority. That’s why our democratic system is by design an anti-majoritarian system. That anti-majoritarianism is embedded in the Senate & its rule. This is a clear signal coming from Senate GOP that they are willing to kill the filibuster. Institutionally, American democracy is in a dangerous path where majority means unconstrained & unlimited exercise of power.”
- Jeff Sessions, who thinks church/state separation is an “extraconstitutional doctrine” even when the prohibition against the government respecting the establishment of religion is literally the first thing in the Bill of Rights, has been approved as Attorney General by the Senate Committee. This is the same man who praised a law that singled out Jews and Asians, and made it harder for them to immigrate to the US.
- Republican Congressional staffers, without telling their bosses, are working secretly with Trump aides. This is straight up insane. Let me repeat: the Legislative branch secretly working with the executive branch is a serious violation of separation of powers. I mean, you have the House Judiciary staff working with the WH on Executive Orders without telling their leaders or bosses because they signed NDAs and you’re seriously trying to tell me the system is working? “A Congress that allows its staff to be secretly, contractually obligated to the White House is no longer a Congress.”
- Wildly respected political historians are sounding the alarms and analyzing the potential outcome of of Bannon & Co creating “shock events”. Read the whole thing.
- The State Department has been purged and now the WH is telling anyone with a different opinion to just up and quit. Even if that doesn’t happen you now have three people with no political experience and some really fucked up worldviews leading it: Tillerson, Bannon, and Miller. Is that not concerning?
- Tiny Hands decided that he is going to freeze out an entire news outlet because he deems it “fake news”.
- Canadian politicians are calling Trump a fascist in Parliament.
- His sons, who supposedly handle the businesses he promised to divest from but hasn’t, are directly involved in government even after he promised they wouldn’t be. This is against the law yet where were they last night? Front row at the SCOTUS pick announcement.
- Trump has, is, and will continue to receive payments from foreign governments. That is a violation of the emoluments clause on the constitution. No one on the GOP seems too concerned about it.
- There are Customs and Border Patrol agents openly and brazenly defying court orders that have yet to be held accountable by the criminal justice system.
- “Bannon is making sure there is no paper trail” of National Security Council debates & decision.
- Yates is the first AG to be fired since Elliot Richardson was fired by Nixon in 1973. This isn’t something that happens every day. That should tell you everything you need to know, but since you clearly don’t want to listen to reason then maybe listen to what the former DOJ spokesman Matthew Miller has to say about this mess: “This kind of assault on DOJ’s independence has not happened since the Saturday night massacre. The president thinks he is above the law. In our democracy, the president is not supposed to dictate to the AG how to interpret the law. This is a major breakdown in the rule of law. A president who fires an AG over this will think he can fire an AG over, say, a probe into whether his campaign coordinated w/ Russia. Also, the next U.S. atty in line of succession was not Boente, but Zach Fardon. Did Trump go forum shopping for one who would follow orders? No matter what you think about the EO, the independence of DOJ is a principle that everything else in our democracy depends on. Sessions simply can’t be confirmed in this environment. At the minimum, he needs a whole new hearing to answer q’s about DOJ independence. But in reality, we now need an AG who is entirely independent from Trump, not one who was a member of his campaign.”
- The DNC has straight up called Trump “tyrannical”.
- Trump wants to make counter-extremism program focus solely on Islamic extremism. Basically he wants the government to stop going after Neo-Nazis or any other domestic hate group.
- Anti-protester propaganda linked with blatant anti-semitism has gone mainstream.
- This statement by brilliant political journalist Sarah Kendzior who has spent her life covering authoritarian regimes and has basically predicted the Trump administration down to every detail for months now: “You should not be surprised at pace of admin’s destruction. You should be thinking many steps ahead, which means thinking fast, acting now. Speed of changes happening for two reasons: temperament and ideology. Trump spent 40 years making fast decisions, having others bail him out. Trump has always surrounded himself with actors to mitigate his damage quickly and often illegally, from Cohn to mafia to, now, Bannon. Difference with Bannon is that speed itself is an ideology. He is a sociopathic accelerationist who has said he will destroy US + will try. Those in power need to act quickly to preserve what institutions can check them before those institutions are destroyed, esp judiciary […] You will need to predict moves far in advance – and act with far more moral conviction and far less blind faith – to preserve this nation.”
- American citizens are being detained at airports and being asked if they love their country. People are being asked for the social media handles by CBP at airports and being checked to see if they post anything Anti-Trump. Canadians were turned away at the border the day of the Women’s March because they told CBP they were coming to protest Trump. CBP denied them entry and told them they would need visas to come back.
- Trump is signing shit without even consulting the departments the EOs affect: “As President Trump signed a sweeping executive order on Friday, shutting the borders to refugees and others from seven largely Muslim countries, the secretary of homeland security was on a White House conference call getting his first full briefing on the global shift in policy.Gen. John F. Kelly, the secretary of homeland security, had dialed in from a Coast Guard plane as he headed back to Washington from Miami. Along with other top officials, he needed guidance from the White House, which had not asked his department for a legal review of the order.Halfway into the briefing, someone on the call looked up at a television in his office. “The president is signing the executive order that we’re discussing,” the official said, stunned.”
I’ve only mostly covered the last three days worth of news and I already hit two dozen points. I think I’m going to stop there but trust me I got a treasure trove more where that came from. I read policy news all day, every day. I am very well educated on what’s happening and I’m telling you, you’re dead wrong.
Click on all the links and read this one too. When you’re done come back to me and tell me how great this “democracy” is working out for you.