Experiment in making a chainaxe myself is a success! Have some WiP pics! There are captions! YAY.
It still needs a bit of clean up, a spike added to the top, tube thing added to the back, and the wraps around the handle greenstuff’d on, but I’ll do that once I’ve got the actual model hand on it. This is for a mate of mine, and he’s the one with the hand (and model) this will go with. XD I’ll try to remember to get pics!
Editing to update with some actual tutorial details and a pic of the finished axe on my friend’s re-purposed and as-yet-unfinished model! So, here we go:
1. Planning! Even if you can’t draw, having a rough plan of what goes where can really help in the long run. Also good for getting the size (at least mostly) right!
2. Here’s the head of the chain axe drawn out on three pieces of plasticard - two thin pieces (~0.4mm) and one thicker piece (~1.5mm). Only the thicker piece in the middle has the actual chainblade teeth, the other two pieces will only have the chain detailing.
3. The pieces are lined up with drilled holes and plasticard rod. It’s probably not entirely necessary to do the whole holes/rod part, but I think it helps, and it’s also a good/easy way to end up with rivets on the finished axe.
4. Here I’ve roughly cut out the edge trim from more thin plasticard and test-fitted them before trimming them down to shape.
5. Here’s the three main pieces put together, the connecting rods and the two edge trim pieces properly cut down to shape, and the sandpaper I use to help clean things up! XD
6. I missed out on photographing a few steps here, oops. Still! The layers of the axe head were glued together, along with the aligning rods, then once the glue was dry, the rods were cut down and the ends sandpapered to leave just stud rivets along the edge trim. The detailing on the axe head is just two thin pieces of plasticard cut into rectangles and glued into place on either side of the axe head. Then another two thin pieces were cut to shape and also glued into place, then the whole lot trimmed down a bit and sanded to tidy up. I also got a short section of plasticard tube that would fit the haft into it, and cut out a notch for the axe head to rest in.
7. I drilled a hole through the tube to make the circular hollows, then glued the tube piece to the axe head and glued the end of the haft into the tube. I then cut two thin slices off ~1mm thick rod for the round buttons on either side of the tube, cut out two very small plasticard triangles, then glued them all into place on either side of the tube beneath the axe head.
8. Finally, here’s the axe attached to my friend’s model! I drilled a hole through the provided hand, slid the axe haft through it, and glued it into place. I then used greenstuff/milliput to sculpt the cable on the head of the axe and the grip around the haft. I also added some more details to the base of the haft, using a bit more plasticard tube glued into place and decorated with more thin slices of plasticard rod, plus a trimmed down spike from a chaos bike. XD A couple more slices of plasticard rod were also used to add the rivets to the axe head.
And there we go! I hope this proves useful! :D