There's a difference between centripetal and centrifugal.
All accelerations are caused by a net force acting on an object. In the case of an object moving in a circular path, the net force is a special force called the centripetal force (not centrifugal!). Centripetal is Latin for “center seeking”. So a centripetal force is a center seeking force which means that the force is always directed toward the center of the circle. Without this force, an object will simply continue moving in straight line motion.
Centrifugal force represents the effects of inertia that arise in connection with rotation and which are experienced as an outward force away from the center of rotation.
Streams and rivers go in very specific orders. The most common form of labeling them is with the Strahler classification system. The smallest tributaries are referred to as first-order streams while the largest river is a twelfth order waterway. First through third order streams are labeled headwater. 80% of the Earth’s waterways are headwater.
When two first order streams join, it forms a second order stream. When two second order streams meet, it creates a third order stream. However, when a first order stream joins a second order, the stream remains as a second order. It does not become a third. When a stream is assigned an order, the number refers to the lowermost section of the stream.
There is a change from the point of origin or headwater to their mouths or where they empty into a larger body of water. The depth, width, and velocity gradually change as well as the amount of water exiting as water approaches the mouth of large rivers. This is known as the River Continuum Concept.
There are also many patterns of river, most, but not all, shown here. This is a general shape for each. Radial and centripetal tend to look like spokes on a bicycle wheel. Deranged is mostly random seeming as the name implies. Rectangular also speaks for itself. Trellis looks somewhat parallel. Dendritic is leaf-looking, mostly. Annular, not shown above, is a river form which is somewhat circular.
Centripetal force is a force that is perpendicular to motion as shown in this diagram
These diagrams show the basics of centripetal force. There are a few things you should notice:
~Even thought the object is following a curved path, both v1 and v2 are straight lines. Why? An object will always want to go in a straight line , unless acted on by an unbalanced force. Here’s an example: think about when you are in a car and the driver makes a turn. You feel like you are being pushed against the door of the car. Actually, what is happening is that you want to still go in a straight line, but the car turns and pushes your body into the new direction.
~Centripetal force (Fc) is always towards the center of the circle.
~As seen in the car diagram, the object is pushed right, to the center, to go left and vice versa.
*NOTE- Even if an object is just turning it is still considered circular motion.
In this picture, the string is creating the Fc, pulling perpendicularly to the object to create a circle.
When Fc is continuously applied, it is constantly “tapping” the velocity so that it changes direction ever so slightly and creates a circle.
There is no outward force, otherwise the object would go in a straight line.
Now, what would happen if someone cut the string? Well, there would be no more Fc to “tap” the velocity. So whatever direction the velocity was in at the precise moment the string was cut would be the direction that the object would fly, in a straight line.
Think about this:
What is causing the Fc of a satellite orbiting Earth?
The Fg of Earth.
What is causing the Fc of a car turning?
The friction of the road.
What is causing the Fc of laundry spinning in a washing machine?
The walls of the machine.
Now here is another thing to remember:
Centripetal acceleration (ac) is always in the same direction as Fc.
How do you find the ac? Another formula! yay!
Let’s look at the units.
the squared in the numerator and the m in the denominator then cancel leaving you with
1. centripetal ; my boo. if you don’t follow her something is wrong with you. she has a ton of other cool blogs too (a one for color images and some cool collabs)– specifically flash-bangs which is some fuckin quality shit let me tell you.
2. goodbyeoldengland ; another quality blog with an absolute darling behind the keyboard. black and white, male model packed, absolutely gorgeous. i’m not sure what else to say other than follow her or i’ll shit on your doorstep.
3. superjunkhead ; probably one of my idol blogs negl. i reblog practically everything they post cause it’s fucking brilliant and top notch– stuff i don’t really see already floating around or just edited and reposted. i look forward to their posts a lot and you know what you should too.
4. heretic-vii ; pretty much take what i said above and copy and paste here. another blog that really inspires me; always seems to find new and interesting stuff. also in flash-bangs (linked above) so you know they’re the shit.
5. shitfuckcockballs ; this is a more eclectic blog than the others (which are primarily fashion/black and white) aaaand i’m pretty sure i’ve been following them since the dawn of time. s/he posts all over the place (i think he? i’m not sure? listen whatever shut up) basically the point is i dig it and you should dig it if you know what’s good for you. it’ll spice up your dash.
k that’s the end of my spontaneous whatever this is. i picked only five cause well i’m lazy and it’s nearly 3 am but rest assured if i follow you i probably really like you and mouthbreathe all over your shit like a total creep. cool beans.
so, i kind of loathe promo posts clogging up dashboards and i don’t honestly talk personally on here a lot but i’ve had a lot of spectacular people come my way and though i’ve limited myself to five people now, i might do one of these again later to show how much i appreciate most of you guys. so here, in no particular order:
1. xabuton – terry schiefer’s tumblr, he posts amazing shit, guys. seriously. not only that, he makes probably the most beautiful jewelry i’ve ever laid eyes on. he’s always really kind to people that talk to him and he’s an all around super nice guy with a great eye for fashion.
2. asyllum – i can’t remember who on my dash linked her but i should find them and kiss them on the mouth because i adore her blog so much. it’s dark and interesting and incredibly unique. maybe not everyone’s cup of tea, but give it a try and wait it out. she grows on you.
3. gthegentleman – i followed him on a whim one day and i haven’t regretted it since. he’s got incredible style and is probably one of my top reblogged tumblrs. such a nice guy, too. definitely give him a try if you want to class up your dash or just want to talk to a real gentleman.
4. centripetal – my darling win. one of my best friends in the whole world. there’s really nothing i can say to sum up how fucking fabulous she and her tumblr are mostly because i’m lazy but also because it’s hard to put into words how much you admire someone as much as i admire her. honestly, just go take a look for yourself. you’ll be stunned, i promise.
5. finefools – this girl is hilarious and her tumblr is actually one of my favorites on here. i don’t honestly follow many blogs that aren’t fashion related on here anymore but i make it a point to keep her around because she makes me laugh and she’s got a really unique sense of aesthetic and style. and hey, she likes chico, how can you go wrong?