An “empty house” is a house where no planets or luminaries are present. It can indicate a part of your life that isn’t as celebrated as other areas of life. Interpreting empty houses is always best done when looking at one’s entire chart. For example, an empty 9th house could indicate someone who may feeling disconnected from their spirituality, but extremely strong Sagittarius or Jupiter influence in their chart could change this interpretation. Everyone has at least a few empty houses, so they won’t manifest in a negative fashion for everyone.
In general, I prefer to interpret empty houses as the following:
- An empty first house can indicate a lack of personality or confidence. Their identities are not always set in stone and are prone to being confusing. They have more trouble than others finding their place in the world.
- An empty second house can indicate a lack of interest in material objects. They don’t allow their possessions to determine their life. They are prone to having difficulties with stability. It’s common that this instability is related to their most prized possessions.
- An empty third house can indicate difficulties with learning and communicating. They are often people who enjoy being alone and would rather use modern ways of communicating. They are prone to having nervous feelings in social arrangements.
- An empty fourth house can indicate a detached relationship with families or someone with little feelings of being “at home.” They are prone to having issues or detached feelings as a child. They may feel that their parents are more over-protective than other parents.
- An empty fifth house can indicate someone who doesn’t focus much on children and procreation. They get bored easily and tend to only have a few major interests. They don’t believe that the ultimate life goal is to procreate. They don’t always hold sex to a high importance and may indulge in casual sex.
- An empty sixth house can indicate a person who relies on others perhaps more than they should. They are prone to illness and likely won’t have a career that is service-based.
- An empty seventh house can indicate a person who has a lack of interest in relationships. They don’t allow their relationships to determine their life, and they are prone to have trouble compromising.
- An empty eighth house can indicate a person who takes many dangerous risks. Their life may not change much and they are prone to having trouble allowing others into their life.
- An empty ninth house can indicate issues or detached feelings with spirituality and beliefs in higher beings. They are prone to feeling tied to their childhood and may dislike change.
- An empty tenth house can indicate someone who has seen many ups and downs with their reputation. They have trouble staying organized and may find that their careers don’t seem to “fit” them.
- An empty eleventh house can indicate someone who has difficulties with maintaining many friendships. They tend to only have a few very close friends. They are prone to being practical people with few ideas about the future.
- An empty twelfth house can indicate difficulties addressing stress or deep fears. They are prone to keeping things in the open and have a hard time keeping secrets. They often feel more pressure than others.
For specific interpretations of your empty houses, ask a trusted astrologer :)