BACman! Class 1 Antiarrhythmic (Na+ Blockers) mnemonic
I love visual mnemonics! Here’s one to help you remember the effect on the AP duration of the different Class 1 Anti-arrhythmics from: http://imindmaps.blogspot.com/2013/06/antiarrhytmics-na-channel-blockers.html - visit the site for the full description.
Also remember that:
when the Batmobile is broken down, BACman has to take a slow CAB.
from strongest binding strength (ie slowest to release) to weakest (less time spent bound): 1C<1A<1B.
Class 1C are the slowest to dissociate and their blocking effects can accumulate over multiple cardiac cycles - contraindicated in post MI.
Class 1B Bolts outta there, and is Best for post-MI.
- The BACman face silhouette is the normal curve. See the phase 3 of the curve to apply the mnemonic:
- IB antiarrhytmics show the line Before the (normal) face.
- IA antiarrhytmics show the line After the (normal) face.
- IC antiarrhytmics show the line Cara (spanish world of face), because is the same as normal in phase 3.
- Antiarrhytmic type I Meds menmonic (3 words each one):
- Before you started eating healthy (salads): Lettuce + Tomatoes + Mayo
- Current you eat so so (fries): More + Fries + Please
- After you will eat so fat: Double + Quarter + Pounder