The Sea Captain
This has probably already been addressed, but I felt the need to put my thoughts down when I noticed this. Okay so, conspiracy theorist that I am, I never really forgot about this little moment:
AKA the moment in Blood Moon Ball where a painting of an old Sea Captain seemingly spoke to Marco. Was it in Marco’s head? Did the painting actually talk? Nefcy said:
Doesn’t tell us much. And after a few seasons and a LOT of plot happenings, there were so many other mysteries to ponder that this one kinda fell to the wayside.
Then this happened:
OKAY. SO. A FEW THINGS IN RAPID SUCCESSION:
1. Same painting. There are notable differences, but they are can probably be attributed to the first one being part of the background whereas the second is in the foreground and less stylized for the sake of some quick animation. Also, both hanging in Star’s room, so, yeah, same painting.
2. The thing winks after Eclipsa talks to it. It fucking WINKS at her. This means there’s a good chance sentient to some degree. At the very least it responds to voice commands.
3. It also covers up secret tunnels that Eclipsa used to travel through as a kid - 300+ years ago.
So these facts lead to some questions:
- How far do these tunnels reach? How old are they? How were they constructed and who did the constructing? Who else knows about them?
- Star’s room can appear wherever she wants it to. Do the tunnels come with her? Does the painting act as a sort of portal entrance different from the ones we’ve seen so far? If Star’s room was on Earth, could she go through the tunnels and come out on Mewni? And could someone do the same in reverse?
- If the Captain can wink, is it possible he can talk? Did he ACTUALLY talk to Marco after all?
- If not, could it have been someone on the other side of the painting? If so, why did they care about Marco and the Blood Moon Ball?
- If I’m right, and the Captain is in fact sentient, WHAT THINGS HAS IT SEEN? WHAT SECRETS DOES IT KNOW?
I know that I’m putting a lot of weight on what is most likely a quick gag or mystery - the two incidents probably aren’t related, and the Blood Moon thing probably won’t ever be fully explained. But those tunnels will almost definitely come up again in the future, and when they do I’ll be waiting and watching for answers to my many, many questions…