Easy Peasy Sweetcorn Fritters!
So my parents used to make these for me when I was smaller, and I’ve been making them lately because they’re super fast, and more filling than an omelette (plus it doesn’t matter if you get the portions of ingredients a little different each time)! You can have them for breakfast, as a quick snack or a side to a main meal :)
What you need:
- an egg
- some milk
- plain or all purpose flour
- a can of sweetcorn
- additional spices and fillings
- oil or cooking spray
- a frying pan
- a cup
- a fork
- Firstly splash a little oil into a frying pan, and turn on the cooker to heat it up.
- Crack the egg into a cup, add 2 tbsp of milk (if it’s a large egg up this to 3) and whisk with a fork until the yolk has mixed in. Add some salt and pepper if you want; I also like to put in some oregano and basil for flavour.
- Drain the sweetcorn from the can, and throw in a large handful, the size depending on how thick you want the mixture. Here you can also add other ingredients- I usually add some finely-chopped onions and garlic, but that’s just a personal preference!
- Add 2 or 3 tbsps of flour again depending on how thick you want the mixture (more flour will make it more like a pancake, less will make it more like an omelette) and then whisk again with the fork until the flour is fully mixed in.
- Pour it all into the pan at once for one large fritter, or pour it in batches for smaller, snack-sized ones that can be saved for later or frozen!
- Fry until the underside is a golden brown, then turn over with a spatula to cook the other side. Depending on how hot your cooker is this part only takes two or three minutes, and you’re done!
- Recipe portions can be doubled, or tripled, to make a big batch that will last! Enjoy!
Tip: If you don’t like sweetcorn, you can probably add flour and milk to a regular omelette just to make it that bit more filling, or try out making fritters with other ingredients :)