Make no mistake, the language Crowley’s been using towards Dean is unfailingly romantic.
HERE ARE A FEW GEMS FROM 10x02:
1. Telling Dean he was “good for a fling, but not relationship material.”
2. Reversing the typical breakup line by saying, “It’s not me. It’s you.”
3. Listening to “Hey There Lonely Girl” while wistfully looking at a selfie of Dean and Crowley, clearly mourning the loss of what they (temporarily) had.
THIS, WHEN IN THE PRIOR EPISODE, 10x01, WE HEARD:
1. Crowley telling Sam “Dean Winchester completes me" after saying "They’ll write songs about us.”
2. Crowley having a talk with Dean about planning “for our future, about which we need to talk… Think of it, the King of Hell, Dean Winchester by his side. Together, we rule together, we create the perfect Hell. And all of this, that’s bloomed between us, never ends." (Furthermore, Crowley felt the need to clarify that he meant their "professional” future here? Why?)
3. Ann Marie telling Crowley and Dean to “get a room,” to which Crowley replies “Had a room, until you two spoiled it.”
4. Crowley talking about Ann Marie, saying he could see the old Dean “falling for that,” to which Dean replies “Yeah well, not to worry, she means nothing” as if he suspects a little jealousy on Crowley’s part.
PLUS, THE LAST HALF OF LAST SEASON SAW LOTS OF CROWLEY FLIRTING WITH DEAN.
1. Crowley said to Dean, after Dean called him and hung up, “You tell me, Romeo, you rang.” (9x17)
2. Earlier in that scene, Crowley says to Dean, “You’re lying to Sam like he’s your wife, which kinda makes me your mistress.”
3. After Dean parts ways with Crowley in Road Trip (9x10), he threatens Crowley’s life, to which Crowley replies, “I’m dead. Yes, I know. I love you, too.”
Crowley’s been developing very undemonic “feelings” ever since he got hooked on human blood.
Is it such a stretch to imagine that (despite his ultimate machinations to “use” Dean), some of those feelings are for Dean?
CAN YOU INTERPRET THIS AS A BROMANCE?
But why would you, when we have every indication that Crowley is queer?
The first time Crowley appeared on our screens in season 5, he was kissing a man:
Now it’s true that most of the canon/textual sexual innuendo coming from Crowley over the past 4 years is aggressively homoerotic because it’s aimed squarely at Dean, Sam, and Castiel.
Many take that to mean that it’s purely a joke, or that Crowley’s only doing it to make his foes feel off-balanced.
That is a legitimate reading of the text.
But so is the idea that Crowley honestly swings all ways, and doesn’t care one whit whether he’s flirting with males or females.
The simple fact is that Crowley has been seen on screen kissing more men than women, that he often textually makes fun of homophobic people, and that he flirts shamelessly with both males and females.
As far as I can see, the only reason to push for a non-queer reading of Crowley is because you really, really want to keep your hetero-normative glasses on.
KEEPING QUEER!CROWLEY IN MIND, I THINK IT’S SAFE TO READ CROWLEY AS HAVING UNREQUITED, ROMANTIC FEELINGS FOR DEAN.
Did anyone else note the way that Gray casually placed Natsu’s scarf over his neck. He could have tossed it to him or threw it on the floor in front of him, but no he returned it exactly where it belonged! Could anyone else feel the bromance? You can just see how much Gray cares about Natsu with that small action. Mashima you did a great job with the subtlety there ;u;