tiny, messy, lunch break sketches absolutely MUST include wonder woman rn…
I love love LOVED this look (and i want to do a more finished piece with it eventually). i can’t not go hard about costuming and the history of dress and i’m going to flail about this for a sec. Costume designer Lindy Hemming clearly knew what she was doing. This wasn’t just a “this outfit is plain and practical after those nonsense ‘fashionable’ options” it was a definite, intentional nod to WWI Women’s uniforms (and Diana is going to the front, it makes sense for her to be in something uniform-ish).
Although WWII is better known for women going to work for the first time (i.e. the iconic ‘Rosie the Riveter’) - women absolutely served in various capacities in WWI and were considered crucial to the war effort. Even though most of the women who served still did so in tradition-friendly roles of relief & aid work, WWI is notable in that it was one of the first times that women served either in an enlisted or civilian capacity in uniform.
Here are some examples of WWI women’s uniforms to show the clear tie between these and Diana’s outfit:
Women’s Motor Corps 1916-1918 (American) - If you look at men’s uniforms from the same time period the core design elements are basically identical, they’ve just been ‘feminized’ in the women’s versions.
UK army recruits 1917 (check out those hats! definite link between those and Diana’s, Also the clear distinction between what’s worn by the recruits and the commander)
Women Police Service, 1916 (British) - women served in uniform at home - filling traditionally male roles while men were away (MOST women served at home, with a relatively small % actually ending up at the front). below are some women firefighters in london around the same time wearing similar uniforms (i can barely go down a ladder period, much less do so with someone over my shoulder - so badass!!!):
The costuming design is perfect in context of the movie’s storyline, wonder woman as a property, and as a tribute to the tens of thousands of women who enlisted and volunteered during the war and it made me SO HAPPY.
*side note - while pulling together these photos I learned about the Women’s Death Battalions (no, seriously) and Holy. CRAP. apparently around 6,000 russian women were actual combatants during the war and not just aid & relief and jfc how had I never heard about this? the rest of the world is like “we guess women can be nurses and ambulance drivers, we are so progressive!!!” meanwhile russia: GETS TIRED OF WOMEN DISGUISING THEMSELVES AS MEN AND SNEAKING INTO THE ARMY. FORMS WOMEN-ONLY UNITS AND CALLS THEM ‘BATTALIONS OF DEATH’*
Can we talk about how Rick lost his composure and became insecure when Morty up and left him?
Roiland did a really good job capturing his emotions with the voice acting in this scene, and the animators did a good job with Rick’s body language here, like how he just took the punch and didn’t fight back like he normally would, and just stood up wearily, and how he was a bit slouched when he first stood up, and also how they showed him doing a nervous habit like rubbing back his hair.
Please can we talk about how Todoroki and Midoriya’s relationship evolved during all these chapters? They become so close and have such amazing bond, but do you remember how all this started and how was changing?
Please be careful it will have many spoilers from manga. And also will be suuuuuper long. >/////////< (tho there will be many pics ;)) so sorry in advance. :D
- The first important event between them was when Todoroki said he sees Midoriya as his rival and want to beat him, even if he thought he is stronger than him…
- Midoriya was aware of this that Todoroki is stronger than him but recognized all his motifs and respected him as his rival and promised to not disappoint him as rival and go with all his might.
- What interesting Todoroki even stayed that he is not here to make friends and all…
but look how far from there they come, like even on the same day that he said this to Midoriya, he confessed him very deep and hard secrets about his family life…
About his problems with father, his tragic past, truth about mother and all reasons why he is not using his fire powers… And it was really deep scars of Todoroki yet he decide to say this to Midoriya, who for now was just his classmate, someone he still didn’t know too much, yet he trusted him to say all this… Like he felt he is someone who he can trust.
- Midoriya was listening this carefully and really felt much for Todoroki, that much he even opposed Todorki’s father. And it is even more meaningful taking the fact Midoriya was a little scared of Endeavor. He can be intimidating but even this didn’t stop Midoriya to try to protect Todoroki.
- And then we have Todoroki and Midoriya’s battle on school festival which is like turinng point for Todoroki’s life and in their relationship.
-Midoriya noticed immediately something is off and no matter how big cost it had for him… he wanted to help Todoroki. In a way losing or winning wasn’t that important… What was important: making Todoroki free from demons of his past.
Midoriya really was doing all his best and was so so so so
determined and also super observant for Todoroki’s behavior and feelings.
- What’s the most important he said words that changed for good Todoroki’s thinking and give him new path and also break from past demons….
It was such simple words… Yet such important ones. Todoroki was waiting for them all his life… Words that show him he can be himself. Words that gave him new strength and freedom… “They are your powers…”
It was Midoriya who gave Todoroki power to be finally able to move forward…
- Todoroki was finally able to accept himself and his own powers… and Midoriya was fascinated by this too.
- In the end it was Todoroki who won and Midoriya who lost this battle but it wasn’t the most important and Todoroki knew this, he was grateful to Midoriya and even said this…
HE was aware of how important to his evolution was Midoriya and felt that something very important is happening.
- There was still kind of long road before Todoroki to deal with but it was Midoriya who helped him to start this and become crucial factor for his change.
- Thanks to Midoriya, Todoroki was brave enough to meet his mother after all these years and after all this pain that was between them..
In a way, thanks to Midoriya he really was able to start his life anew…
- Midoriya wanted to help him no matter what… even if the cost was big…
He wanted to use this festival after all as occasion to become known in world… but as he was painfully aware of this he didn’t do this…
He gave his all to help Todoroki instead, even All Might noticed this..
Midoriya knew how much Todoroki’s suffering so he really did all what he could to free him, from his demons…
Midoriya has after this crucial battle scars on his hands… which seems so symbolic, shows how much he did to save his friend. He really was in such bad shape after all this fight….
- Midoriya is really a hero
Todoroki’s hero :)
for who he was waiting all his life…
- Even look how this sunshine cutie was supporting Todoroki, just after his own defeat.
- After this fight these two really fast became very close, which is not that surprising seeing how intense and emotional, life-changing moment it was for both of them…
And remember how Todoroki said not long ago he didn’t come here to make friends… see, he changed his opinion very fast hahaha. ;)
He called Midoriya his friend, and knowing how reserved Todorki can be it really means a lot… Especially in what situation he did this. It was not long ago after events of school festival when Midoriya was in danger… And of course Todoroki rushed to his rescue. :D
It also very significant how he knew Midoriya’s in danger. Thanks to phone message. And haha it gives such cute information they shared their phone numbers and maybe even send each other from time to time some cute messages. ;) . But what is more important it is that Midoriya’s send this message to all his contacts, but it was Todoroki who came to his rescue first, and also it was him who understand what such empty message means. He knows him so much he was able to say he is in pinch and rushed as fats as he could to help him. :D such protective boyfriend. Awww. :D
- What also prove their great bond is how great partners and powerful duo they can be. They really understand each other a lot. Being on the same time so different.
They trust each other so much and also support themselves.
- from funny note Midoriya also became some kind of calming waifu for Todoroki. ;) Look how he tries to calm him down when he gets annoyed by others. ;)
- They are really such cute friends, Midoriya even always remember to invite Todoroki when he and his other friends go to some funny places.
- Todoroki became also very observant towards Midoriya…
being able to notice his worries and trying to help him.
When Midoriya was worried about Kouta, Todorki calmly and with patience listened him and gave long and the best advice he could. He didn’t brush him over, it was important for Midoriya so for him too.
They talked so long that in a way they really werelike in their own world, that much they forgot to world matters and forgot they should prepare the meal. ;)
It is very meaningful how patient and caring Todoroki became towards Midoriya. He really has such soft side towards him (which is not surprising after all Midoriya is such cutie pie :D). And it is kind of interesting how clam and soft he became towards him when not long ago he had kind of harsher way of speaking him like he was calling him “brat” and was saying he is “Spouting garbage”.:D Hahaha Todoroki you became such softie. :D awww. :D
- Like really he has such soft spot towards Midoriya now,… like he worries so much about him
and checking if he is o.k :D
- The same for Midoriya, he is very attentive for Todoroki and his feelings and very caring.
Like he always notice if Todoroki suffer when someone will bring up his past demons and will try to calm this.
- Midoriya with time became also the voice of reason for Todoroki, and always brings him back to his senses. :D He has such amazing healing power towards him, isn’t he? :D
- As we know Todoroki is super strong and all, and few time he saved Midoriya, but also Midoriya was saving him from others too. :D
Todoroki knows this perfectly and is very aware of how big impact for his life has always this little sunshine hero boy. :D
-When Todoroki failed the exam Midoriya was much more concerned about him that about himself, he was sooo worried.
- And when he heard Todoroki will be able to make this exam again he finally smiled and felt very relived. :D Such carrying sweet boyfriend aw. ;)