Live Updates: Trump Rants On Twitter After Reports Reveal Campaign Aides Were In Touch With Russian Intelligence
Connections between President Trump's administration and campaign aides with Russians are roiling the nation. Catch the latest here.
Here’s the latest on the Trump administration and Russia:
- The United States is facing political chaos as more and more reports emerge tying President Donald Trump’s aides to Russia. An FBI investigation is underway, members of Congress are calling for reviews, and the public, reporters, and intelligence community are looking for clarity amid many seeming contradictions.
- Members of President Trump’s campaign had repeated contact with Russian intelligence officials, according to phone records and call intercepts first reported by The New York Times on Tuesday evening.
- The calls were intercepted around the time that the intelligence community found evidence that the Russians had tried to interfere with the presidential election to get Trump elected by hacking into the Democratic National Committee’s computers and releasing emails.
- This come a day after Gen. Mike Flynn resigned as President Trump’s national security adviser after it was revealed he communicated with a Russian official about sanctions before Trump took office — which could have been illegal — then misled Vice President Mike Pence about it.
- Trump has been aware of the situation with Flynn since Jan. 26, White House Spokesman Sean Spicer said, adding that the White House was “reviewing and evaluating” the issue “on a daily basis for a few weeks.” But, on Feb. 4, Trump indicated he wasn’t aware of the scandal surrounding Flynn.
- At noon Wednesday Trump is scheduled to have a press conference with Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu.