- Nostrils can close. Function: to keep blowing sand out.
- Two rows of long eyelashes. Function: protect against blowing sand and the sun.
- Fat stored in hump(s). Function: Help it to survive long periods without food and water
- Thick fur and underwool. Function: provide warmth during cold desert nights and insulation against daytime heat
- Thick leathery patches on knees. Function: protect it from getting burn when it kneels on the hot desert sand
- Long strong legs. Function: help carry heavy loads over long distances and keep its body further away from the hot sand
- Broad, flat, leathery pads at the bottom of their hooves. Function: pads spread out when the camel places its feet on the ground thus creating a “snowshoe effect” and preventing the camel from sinking into the sand