That pie looks so good!!! Would you be willing to post the recipe for it?
I was given the recipe by @kunoichi-ume when she posted an Ibiki the Baker fic for Pie Day. Unlike apple or peach pies, you don’t have to peel the fruit. Definitely a pie to bake if your skills are burgeoning!!! Impress your friends!
Here are some tips, as I don’t know your baking skill level.
- The recipe calls for 1 quart of strawberries. Strawberries are sold by weight. The first time I used a pound and a half, but the strawberries were so massive the second round, I only needed a pound. Both pies ended up with 3 cups.
- Making pie crust is super easy because you’ve finished when everything sticks together in a ball. Overmixing makes a chewy crust, so laziness is key! The pockets of lard/vegetable shorting are what gives pie its flakiness. I stick it in the fridge while prepping the filling.
- If you choose to buy your crust, I always go with the frozen deep dish version. The other pie shells are shallow and disappointing. That’s what I used here. Refrigerated pie crusts are okay, but I figure I might as well get a pie dish if I’m buying. :D
- Broiling!! Omg, so I had never used the broiler before. I took a look at the pie, saw it was browning, washed my hands, and came back to a burnt pie top! NOOOOOO!!! Don’t take your eyes off of that pie on the last phase! It really is only 2 minutes.
- Cool your pie for about 3 hours and then stick it in the fridge. I left the first one out overnight, and filling became liquidy and refused to firm up. It was still delicious, but more like cobbler than pie.