– Stopped the Ruby ship from (ostensibly) capturing Peridot and expressed interest in Peridot’s well-being afterward.
– Participated in the baseball game despite her distrust of and past anger toward the Crystal Gems. Ended up enjoying herself and interacting positively with them.
– Chose to give Peridot a chance and share the barn with her, which meant, at the very least, working through her distrust, anger, and fear of Peridot.
– Pushed herself to spend time out on the ocean, despite all her negative associations with it.
– Made a kind gesture to Greg out of the desire to be helpful. Accepted his rejection gracefully.
– Admitted to her actions and culpability in a toxic relationship.
– Refused to re-enter that relationship, where it’s highly likely she would’ve engaged in those behaviors again.
– Offered Peridot encouragement and help when the One Gem Metal Band fell apart, under her own initiative and with a smile.
– Expressed disappointment that her farming project with Peridot wasn’t going to result in a horde of new vegetable friends. Tried to ease Peridot’s disappointment over Pumpkin’s initial rejection by reminding her of the pumpkins they did grow together.
– Worked alongside the Crystal Gems to win over Andy and host a family get-together.
– Chose to give Navy a chance and share the barn with her, despite her doubts and instinctual suspicions of the gem.
– Made an effort to be sympathetic and understanding of what she imagined would be Navy’s struggles in integrating to life on Earth, and offered advice on what she’d learned from her own experience.
– Expressed real, genuine distress that she wasn’t falling in love with Earth as quickly and easily as Navy seemed to be. (Which meant she’s been sincerely trying to.)
In short, Lapis has spent her time on Earth learning to be more trusting and forgiving; taking emotional risks and confronting uncomfortable feelings and memories; finding enjoyment in Earth-related activities, and making kind gestures.
Has she been a shining ray of sweetness and light and consideration while doing so? God, no. She can be sullen, dramatic, sarcastic, and dismissive. (Much like Peridot…exactly like Peridot. Peridot’s saving grace is that she’s funny.) Lapis deflects, avoids, and bottles up her guilt and insecurities until she pops or finally tackles them. When interacting with new people, she’s awkward at best and at worst, she’s a cactus. She’ll try new stuff and eventually get into it, but oh boy, she is not going to be enthusiastic about it. Lapis is one leather jacket and some gum away from the quintessential Disaffected Youth.
And that’s what makes her so interesting. That she can be a stand-offish grouch who still wants to be involved, friendly, and giving. She’s a hit a roadblock in her development, but she’s been growing and she’ll grow through this too.
Check it out and to buy these cool patches (or to work with me to create a custom badge!) and to support me as I save up for the next semester of school. I’m running dangerously low on money, so anything will help!! Thank you!
An English version of Cactus?? They’re really a group that keeps giving ;v; and they’re doing this so that international fans can understand the song…they do so much for Choices! Let’s keep supporting them as much as possible 💓