I built one of these over the break while I was at my girlfriend’s parent’s house. Her dad has a Google tv and their new cable box wouldn’t work with its type of channel switching. He needed an ir blaster to change the channel through the Google tv. We went to best buy and thought that they might have a set for Tivo but alas they did not. I found this how to with a quick search, went to RadioShack, bought the few required parts, and built it. After I changed the settings in the Google tv it worked without a hitch.
Great news. We’re killing the environment with our damned cable boxes – even boxes as inactive as mine. One more reason to terminate my relationship with my local cable provider (and to consider redirecting the generous wad of cash that covers my cable bill to the NRDC (or perhaps to my student loan provider)).