Any sunscreen recommendations?
There’s been a lot of new discussion about sunscreen lately, now that lots of yearly reports have been published, so I’ve got lots of recommendations saved up:
Here are EWG’s best beach and sport sunscreens. Each of these are rated according to their individual ingredients, UVA/UVB composition and any related health concerns. If you’ve already bough some lotion and want to see how it measures up, click on its listed name and read all about it.
I personally recommend:
- Kabana Organic Skincare Sunscreen
- Babo Botanicals
- Tropical Sands Sunscreen
- True Natural
- Beauty Without Cruelty
- Sunology Natural Sunscreen
- The Honest Company Sunscreen
And a few additional things to keep in mind:
- “Waterproof” sunscreen has recently been disproven. While some sunscreen may actually be water resistant, this will only be true for up to 80 minutes at a time. Always be sure to re-apply after getting wet or sweating.
- Very high SPF numbers are misleading. There’s honestly no reason to buy anything over SPF 50, so don’t trust a brand that tries to sell it to you.
- Spray-on sunscreen will evaporate faster and will completely cover less skin. It may be a faster application method, but stick with the traditional slather-it-on style.
- Sunscreen alone is not enough; Always take extra precautions. Wear a hat, sit in the shade, cover your skin with light clothing, etc. Never rely solely on some lotion to protect you.
So stay safe out there! Always make sure you’re wearing sunscreen when you go outside, even if its cloudy. Protecting your skin now can save you from a lot of heartache later on.