4CC Special Sports News in HEROS: (interview in Gangneung, Korea)
Translation of Yuzuru’s comments only:
1) (0’00” to 1’25”) Well, I am filled with frustrating feelings. But I think I was able to execute the FP performance relatively well, so I think I made some achievement. (As regards your earlier phrase of ‘real quads era’) Yes, both Nathan who was first and Uno who was third jumped a wide variety of quads and they both bravely challenged 3As, too. So I do feel that we have entered into a difficult era which demands difficult kinds of quads to be executed with a high quality. (It is a challenging era) but I am enjoying it :)
2) (6’40” to 7’05”) (At the K&C to Brian), yay, I managed to land 4 quads and two 3As!! (At the green room, Shoma said to Yuzuru that it was awesome and he was surprised.) Yeah, I did them for the first time; I had never done that even during practice, hee, hee!
3) (8’05” – 8’35”) (at the green room, after Nathan’s FP) Ahhh, I might not be able to beat that. Oh this makes me feel so nervous; the colour of the medal will change. I want gold, a gold medal, give me gold! (After Nathan was announced to be the winner) AAAAGGGHHHH!!!! (Walking towards backstage) it’s because of the popped salchow, popped salchow!!!
4) (8’55” – 13’26”) Yes, I do feel frustrated, but I have managed to execute two 4Ts in the second half for the first time as I attempted, which is an achievement. Also, I managed to keep my calmness at the same time of performing in line with the music, so I think that was a big achievement for me. (When did you think of changing the elements?) Well, so first, 4S (in the second half) became 2S. After doing a half-loop, I thought of challenging 4S (as a third jump of the combination) but I thought it’s a bit too difficult, so I didn’t. (The interviewer confirming what he said) Yes, indeed I did think of doing 4S (as the third jump), because I was able to do it during practice, so I was about to do it, but I didn’t. After that, I concentrated on the next 4T, then at (the next element which was) 3A+3T (though originally 2T), I was doing a practice to replace this (combination) with 4S, so it came to my mind if I should do it, but I didn’t. And after that, as for 4T+2T (which replaced the originally planned 3A+1L+3S), I found that I had some energy left, so I thought ‘oh let’s do 4T + 2T!’ and I did it. (So, you were thinking and changing right before jumping at one time) Yes, indeed, I felt several conundrum and wondered at each situation, and I had lots of reflection. I had to think of lots of things including the number of combinations or repetitions according to the rules, so it (changing so many elements during the performance) was the first trial for me, so I was skating with lots of thoughts. (At the end, you did 3A) yes, I was going to do 3Lz, but I noticed that I could jump 3A, so I did it as it seemed possible. Yes, so I was thinking one by one, while feeling the music, too, so I didn’t feel much difficulty and I think my breathing was stable during skating. (As for 4Lo), especially this time, I was able to land clean 4Lo both in SP and FP with high GOEs, so in this sense, it was such a big achievement. In addition, especially this time as well as the last time (probably GPF?), I think I was able to concentrate on every jump after executing the first 4Lo, especially in the FP. So the remaining task is for me to learn from every mistake I made during this SP and FP. (About 4S), Well, my condition for 4S is not bad; (but) this time at the competitions, I couldn’t land two 4Ss, so to be honest, I was about to lose my confidence (in 4S), and it made me wonder a bit. But I am able to execute it properly during practice, and my real ability has already mastered how to jump 4S. So, I think I should work harder towards the World while confirming (checking and working on each of his mistakes and problems) one by one. (About your PCS at 94.34), well, I think I could have done better. Because of the failure of 4S, my performance got ruptured, which I have to improve. That (4S) is one of the elements I could aim higher in terms of TES, too. (As for your rivals) Well, especially the multiplicity of quads and 3A of Nathan is a big thing. I myself have two 3As in the second half, but Nathan was not originally good at 3A, so in that sense, I am amazed with and admire his mental strength. (Finally as for the Worlds) I have already achieved a complete form of performances during practice, so I would like to increase the probability of executing such complete performances, so that I can execute perfect performances at the Worlds. (nodding :) )
5) (14’15” – 14’ 45”) (At the earlier press conference at the venue), I think I am getting better every year, and what I do has been getting harder and harder. I very much like this feeling that I am challenging my own limits. I think this silver medal is the one I have most enjoyed (as far as silver medals at 4CC are concerned). From now on, we have no idea who will challenge jumping 4Lz or 4F, and there is a possibility that someone will challenge 4A. So, I find the (current development of) the figure-skating so exciting, and I am looking forward to practicing even more.
6) (15’50” – 17’25”) (Do you have anything you have found as a pre-Olympic?) Yes, I do. It (the rink) was easy for me to jump, at a comfortable temperature, and the sound acoustic was quite good. So I feel it is a very good rink for me. (Are you even more excited?) Yes, I do have a strong desire that I would like to come back and skate here, by all means. (About yourself in 1 year’s time) I would like to become even stronger. Not only executing jumps, but also I would like to elevate the quality of 3A and quads. While doing so, I should do more performance, become more expressive, and improve the quality of each element. All these things. So, all in all, this competition has stimulated my desire to improve myself even more, in a good sense. (I feel your frustration as well as passion from you now) Yes, indeed, I am burning inside me :) (In terms of rivals) Of course, the existence of rivals counts, but I have frustrating feelings that my own performance was quite pathetic. So I would like to clear one (problem) at each time.
7) (30’55” – 31’45” ) (After his EX performance) It was such an awful exhibition performance. I did practise it, I was doing practice properly. Well, it’s a little hard (because of so many events with short intervals in a day). Now I realise that triple toeloop [he intentionally said slowly] is a difficult jump. I should have done 3F, which I did practice. OMG, this is awful, it haunts me a lot. My frustration with FP is gone. No, it’s OK; there is one more time, one more time, one more time; there is the Finale. (footage of gala: he did a 3T during gala finale)
8) (33’10” - end ) (Message to all fans) Thank you so much for all your cheers for me during this competition as well. From all of you who came to the venue, those cheering for me in front of the TV as well as those watching on internet, I received lots of lots of power. In terms of the final result, it ended up with being 2nd, but I feel that the reason why my FP was first is because of all your encouragement. I will continue to elevate my level and do my best from now on, so please keep cheering for me!
Translation by Sophie Moroi in YHIFG (thanks to Sophie for her permission to post this in my blog)