unpopular opinion: viktor isn’t depressed
like look, he definitely shows signs of depression, which the fandom has already picked up on:
- losing enjoyment in things he once enjoyed (skating)
- running out of inspiration— a lack of motivation
- how miserable he looks during the first stammi vicino
- his tendency to drink too much
but there are also signs of mania:
- sudden bursts of inspiration/creativity: there’s only three months between sochi banquet and worlds, when yuuri goes viral. yet in that short period he started and nearly finished not just one, but two amazing SPs inspired by the banquet.
- starting things but not finishing them: of course, somewhere along the way he lost inspiration and didn’t finish either eros or agape.
- impulsivity: packing up everything, pretty much ending his career, and flying halfway across the world to be with a guy he danced with once at a party, because of a video.
- excitement, talking really fast: the entire “do you have feelings for minako? do you have a girlfriend? any ex-girlfriends? LET’S TALK ABOUT ME! my first girlfriend—” exchange
- grandiosity: viktor is sometimes ridiculous and over-the-top. that’s why we love him!
so guys. listen. here’s the timeline:
- pre-sochi (depression): he’s on a downswing. skating is losing its purpose. he’s getting older. he can’t surprise anyone anymore. he’s realising that he’s been “neglecting his life and love” for his whole life, and now he has nothing.
- immediately post-sochi (mania): meeting yuuri triggers a manic episode. he’s in love! he’s probably waiting for yuuri to contact him and whisk him away into the sunset on a white horse! he’s inspired! he begins choreographing eros, but wait! also agape! he’s full of ideas and creativity! life seems so promising!
- between sochi and worlds (depression): yuuri never acknowledges him. this triggers another downswing. he runs out of inspiration and is unable to finish eros and agape. he looks tired and miserable during stammi vicino. he’s forgetting important things, like his promise to choreography for yuri p.
- post-world championships (mania): on the day of worlds, yuuri’s video goes viral. he sees it and suddenly! it’s! a message! this has to mean something! this is a message! to him! (*cough* psychosis *cough*) off he goes! he packs up everything and flies halfway across the world. he’s so excited! to learn more! about yuuri! tell me about yourself! let’s talk about me! let’s sleep together!
- yuuri seemingly rejects him (depression): he cries himself to sleep, drinks too much, seems a little more serious. reality hits him and he’s suddenly doubting whether anything meant what he thought it meant.
but then their relationship starts to develop slowly. he starts to stabilize a little as he begins to settle into life with yuuri. he’s not so depressed about the “life and love” thing, and he’s also getting used to the unfamiliar environment. he stops swinging so intensely. china happens, then barcelona.
and now we have our sweet, content, and a lot less manic vitya ^^