okay, so the BatB gown redesign is happening
Criteria that I’ll be sticking by:
- Historically inspired, but not necessarily historically accurate. The original animated film made very little attempt at creating a period-correct French ballgown, and it became an iconic costume that I see everywhere
- Easy to move in - Emma Watson specifically requested something that didn’t restrict her when she danced. I’m going to leave her comments about corsetry, oppression of women, etc. out of the picture, because this at least is a legitimate concern - modern women don’t learn to waltz in hoopskirts or corsets or bustles, generally; if you’re doing a complicated choreographed routine with a half-costume half-CGI (or however they did the Beast) partner and cameras everywhere it makes sense that you’d want to be able to move around. “Easy to move in” isn’t necessarily something I worry about, but then again I’ve been in and out of corsets for ten years.
- also like half the point of this is to prove to Ms. Watson that it’s possible for a gown to be more historically rooted AND easy to wear AND pretty to look at, so…
- No panniers, despite the period kind of calling for them. Because I, personally, hate panniers, and this is my redesign. (Also ‘pannier’ and ‘easy to move in’ doesn’t correlate unless you’re a pro, which the intended actress is not)
- No bustles, even though I love bustles, because “a ballgown inspired by the aesthetics and design choices of 18th-century robes a la francaise” and “massive late-Victorian bustle” do not go together. Truthfully, the original gown has something to be said for using 1860s-era evening wear as a base inspiration (much like Cinderella’s gown, actually), but the rest of the film seems firmly rooted in pre-French Revolution styles so that’s what I’m sticking with.
- If you all would rather I do something closer in visual appearance to the original film, please tell me! I’m always game for a romp through the latter half of the 1800s.
- This is a fairytale. If I’m caught between an option that looks nice and an option that’s more historically accurate, I’m going to choose the one that looks nice.