Note: a rotation refers to a group of episodes (4 in SU’s case), one for each board team slot. Episodes are boarded in a specific pattern with teams, and both production seasons 2 and 3 have 13 rotations
Now, I don’t know what Charles put in your head, but I am not whatever it is you think I am, okay? I only met you, like, a week ago. You got your Rebecca, your Delilah, your blah, blah, blah, whatever. Everything you asked for, you’ve got it! And it is better this way. Because I suck at this. Bad shit happens to people I care about, you understand me?
We are the Crystal Gems! We’ll always save the day! And if you think we can’t We’ll always find a way! That’s why the people of this world believe in Garnet, Amethyst, and Pearl and Steven!
– You used to call me on my cell phone Late night when you need my love Call me on my cell phone Late night when you need my love I know when that hotline bling That can only mean one thing I know when that hotline bling That can only mean one thing
Shiro washes the bloody tank top and starts to regain some of Matt’s respect and trust. They don’t see any sign of Parkour Boy. Not in the mess, not in the halls, not in the library. It’s a double edged blade, but if Shiro spends double the usual amount of time haunting the gym and an abnormal and disquieting share of his spare time staring out windows, that’s fine. Everyone has their cross to bear.
Matt only catches him watching parkour videos on his phone once. The tinny dubstep is a dead give away, but maybe it’ll help him figure out that real parkour doesn’t actually involve that much tripping or blood or soulful gazing. (It doesn’t involve… any of that.)
And then, two days after the Incident, Shiro gets a new fixation. They both do, because on Tuesday someone destroys the simulator.
Like, they didn’t literally destroy it, but you know how Dad is always going off about Shiro’s scores? Obliterated. Total fatality.
“You messed up the coding,” Montgomery sighs.
No, Matt did not. And Katie checked it, so he’s double, triple sure. They tweaked it to make it harder. Whoever this kid is, they’re either a world class programmer with a lot of extra time and tech on their hands or they’re not fully human.
“I’m sorry Sir, and I hope you don’t think this is out of line, but we really did check it. I had Shiro test it four times. It should…” Matt lets his eyebrows quirk up in a look of gentle, innocent assurance. “It should check out.”
Montgomery sighs again. “Fine, Holt. We’ll bring the cadet back in and retest him.”
We’ll bRing the caDet back in and reTeSt hiM, Matt mocks in his head.
“All the same, murderess is a strong word to have attached to you. It has a smell to it, that word, musky and oppressive, like dead flowers in a vase. Sometimes at night I whisper it over to myself. Murderess, murderess. It rustles like a taffeta skirt across the floor. Murderer is merely brutal, it’s like a hammer, or a lump of me. I’d rather be a murderess than a murderer, if those were the only choices.”
You know that time when we went out after seeing your friend's terrible band and you ordered french fries, and I ate all of them because I was wasted? When I think of myself doing that I am… That was so selfish of me. And I'm sorry.
Wow, I'm really glad you reached out about that.
No, I don't remember that at all, but I will take your french fry apology and apply it to other stuff.
Interesting Things from the Steven Universe Art and Origins book:
- The Gems were originally going to be straight up magical girls that transformed and had separate civilian identities.
- Another early concept is that they were created by a “mother” to protect the humans, but “mother” decided to destroy humanity so the girls formed “the giant woman” to defeat “mother” and save humanity.
- an early pre-pilot episode idea involved “Baby the badass biker-guy who wants to be a magical girl”
- other pre-pilot episode ideas had Steven’s crush on “Priyanka” (most likely early Connie), Pearl having a crush on the Pizza Guy, and Sadie possessed by a necklace that turns her into a popular singer and Lars potentially saving her.
- Steven is the opposite of a man-child, he’s a child-man!
- Rebecca says “Dramatic things don’t only happen to cool, serious people. And life doesn’t stop being ridiculous when a tragedy occurs.”
- Some old mythos from the pilot pitch - crystal gems were from another universe, Rose “vanished like a phoenix when Steven inherited her gem”, Rose would visit Steven’s dreams and give him advice and when he woke up roses would be growing around his body “which he finds very embarassing”
- the design of the human characters evolved from “food-centric” brainstorming. (i’m going to guess that being familiar with Akira Toriyama’s work might have helped with that)
- Rebecca in the pitch described the star symbol for the show as “They can look poppy and fun, but also ancient and magical.” and “It’s positive! It’s beautiful! It’s patriotic! It’s America!”
- Their goal was “doing Disney, seventies anime, and Hannah Barbera - all in the same art style”
- The crew enjoys using cartoons to talk about real world concepts because “People let their guard down when they watch cartoons.”
- The early Homeworld Gem concepts for “Cheeseburger Backpack” are extravagant and outlandish in a really gorgeous way, like a bunch of runway fashion models, They also played with the idea of having some of them wear faceplate helmets/masks like the Gem Temple statue has.
- Bismuth notes: “flirty with Pearl like construction worker”, thinks Pearl is hilarious/awesome “This high-class trophy wife who fights and kills people!”, “Huge respect for Garnet as an inter-class fusion - Sapphire for giving up privilege, Ruby for hitting that”
- The writers play a game where someone draws a scenario, and the picture gets passed to three different people who each write part of a story based on it. They’ve used a few of these for episode ideas.
- “Island Adventure” came from an episode idea that just read “Lars and Sadie make out - even though they’re not together.” It’s described as “Clearly, this was something we all wanted to happen.”
- “Onion Friend” also started out as one of these, the original idea involved “Grandma Shallot”
- “Future Boy Zoltron” came from two different writing games, one with Garnet using her future vision to do fortune telling (and being too blunt about it), and one with Steven reuniting Mr. Smiley with his old comedy partner. The notes for the latter include “also they were clearly lovers”
- The story game that eventually became “We Need to Talk” had Greg walk in on Steven and Connie kissing in the beginning and trying to give them the other “talk”, and he learned about fusion when he saw Pearl and Amethyst practicing it.
- There was also an as-of-now unused idea set soon after Garnet joining the Crystal Gems about Rose asking her to fuse and Garnet being uncomfortable with it and Peal being annoyed that Garnet is uncomfortable with it
- There was an idea the writers kicked around for a while about a floating continent the Gems had elevated years ago called “Airstralia”
- It’s important that Steven is “as excited about everyday human things as he is about magic Gem things”
- About “Mindful Education”: “How can we make a story about meditation exciting? How can we get kids invested in a way that will make them want to see meditation work for the characters?”
- There are also “Design a Gem/Design Gem Technology” games where one person draws a character or object and another has to come up with the description. One of these is a potential design for a healed Earth Beetle, a tiny gem about the size of Steven’s head. Some of the “tech” is a gem embedded in a slice of pizza, a device that projects thoughts that Steven uses to spy on Lars’ dreams (complete with doodle of him dreaming about Sadie and Steven saying”I knew it!”), and a visor that shows you someone’s power level but also how sad they’re feeling - “with this information you can fight them physically and emotionally”
- The writers think ““I knew it!” is always better than “I didn’t see that coming””, so they like dropping lots of hints into the show
- With Ruby and Sapphire, Rebecca wanted to make a couple that looked very different from each other but were also obviously a perfect match for each other.
- Early versions of Peal and Garnet’s fusion were a lot more stoic-looking
- Steven and Connie’s relationship is described as “the pure love of children” and “that eternal love that could withstand anything”
- About Peridot: shows that you can be hyperactive and weird but still loved, also showing that you can be friends with people who were raised differently from you, also “a straight-up corny alien”
- the ideas that Gems could pull things out of their gems and shapeshift came from old Tex Avery-type cartoons: “ What if we take the way that a classic cartoon character acted and turned it into a superpower?”. Also “One of our goals was to have these characters who were powerful heroes, but also have them be funny and weird too.”
- from a Storyboard Test for aspiring artists: the crystal gems and Steven = “like three Zeldas and a Mario”
- Estelle gave Rebecca advice on writing “Stronger Than You” and “Here Comes a Thought”
- “Comet” was an adaption of a song from a band Nick DeMayo (the animtion director) was in in the 80s
- “We wanted this beautiful perfection of everything that had to do with Homeworld and Gem society, but it had to be kind of eerie. One of the principal idea is that perfection is not something to strive for - that it’s not necessarily good, that imperfection should be celebrated.”
- They want the show to be “subversive in a positive way”
not only do i just love it personally, but rebecca sugar’s art style is so……. distinctive. i don’t know how i’d put the exact quality her art possesses into actual words but. her personal art style has such a uniqueness to it that pretty much whenever i see an art piece by her, even before i’ve checked the source/description i go “isn’t that rebecca?” and i’m almost always right.
anyway this has been a rebecca sugar appreciation post!!!! i just love her style to pieces and i think she’s awesome, and seeing art in her native style is always something i look forward to!!!!!! ✨
Zarkons va:*makes constant fat jokes about hunk and denies the racist undertones in show as only the light skinned charas have gotten development and not piggy backing in the latest seasons*
Pidges va:*makes mistakes and when called out on them either makes jokes or escalates the situation to a point where it didnt need to be has sicked her fans on minors and even when told what happening would rather ignore it and let a minor get harrased while she drowns and unnecessary compliments from fans has apologized for this behavior once and obviously hasn’t learned her lesson*
Shiros va: *goes on an interview for a children’s show and tells people to learn what pedophilia is denies shipping shaladin in canon as its an “unhealthy age gap” but is perfectly fine with aged up aus and art*