are you familiar with the feeling of oh-my-holy-moly-my-life-is-a-complete-mess? me too fam. but now, it’s time for change. It’s time to get our shit together and here are some tips to get started.
note : this is just a beginning guide; which only includes 1/100 of the tips to get you life together. I’ll probably make a part two if this is helpful?
1. do not procrastinate.
sounds crazy? but honestly, just don’t. procrastination
leads to stress and anxiety and helps you lose your shit.
but, how do we not procrastinate?
- get things done early. remember that sheet of paper your professor gave around in class having the list of all the assignments to be done that semester? yes, do that work months before if you have time.
- do your homework the day it’s given. (no watching tv before you do)
- study in the time you’re actually studying. don’t go on your phone half the time. If you’re doing that, you may as well put your books away.
other resources -
- the procrastination masterpost by @studious-simplicity
- how to stop procrastinating by @determinationandcaffeine
- how to stay productive by @julstudies
- productivity masterpost
2. become the master of “fake productivity”
fake productivity is basically when you do mechanical work (i.e. stuff which doesn’t require much brainpower) to get into the real “productivity” zone. it helps you brain prepare for the big task ahead. here are some things to do -
- make your bed
- do the dishes/laundry
- clean your room (i know it’s messy yo)
- get your closet together
- empty your inbox (be it gmail or tumblr)
- do a smol workout?
- make a to-do list/ organize you calendar
- do a easiest or the most enjoyable task off your to-do list
3. plan, plan and plan
your planner/bullet journal should be your best friend. plan those essays you got to write, that research paper you have to do, down to the time you need to go out for dinner with friends. Plan. Every. Single. Thing. I. Really. Mean. It.
+ and follow up with those plans!! you have already wasted a lot of time on
planning, you hAVE to follow up with that planning, right?
4. wake up early
why? waking up early gives you the
time to do things slowly and carefully so that you get it perfect in one
go and your life isn’t a complete disastrous mess.
how to wake up early? i got you.
- how to wake up early by @theyrestudying
- how to get up early and enjoy your day by @coffeesthetics
- the morning “me” routine by @fightostudy
5. have a healthy lifestyle
an example -
x wakes up at 7 am every morning, goes for a short run to wake herself up and comes back to have hearty breakfast of eggs, bacon, slices of bread and a mug of steaming hot tea. she starts on her work after that, doing it without stressing about it. Then, after a nice hot bath and a delicious lunch, she goes out to a cafe to work on her online classes and to hang out with her friends. coming back home, she does a quick workout, takes a shower and heads off to make dinner. Having an early dinner, she spends the remaining few hours relaxing, drafting blog posts and spending time with her dog. at 10 pm everyday, she heads off to her bed, looking forward to a glorious tomorrow.
..sounds like a fairy-tale, right? you can definitely live it though.
In general, your day should have the following stuff -
- sufficient hours of work using which you can get all your work done
- a healthy breakfast, lunch and dinner (yep, no skipping meals)
- a workout, generally of 15 - 30 minutes at the least
- interaction with people, like hanging out with friends or family
- sufficient sleep and resting time (preferably 8 hours of sleep)
- a fixed routine consisting of you waking and sleeping at fixed time
- a ‘me’ time at some point of the day where you don’t worry about work or anything and focus on relaxing after a long day.
6. believing that coffee sucks
why? its basically a drug and if you need three cups of it just to get
started on work, you’re going to have a really hard time during finals.
Instead, get enough sleep so that you have enough energy to study
without being a coffee addict. or you can even swap coffee for water. (hey, you’ll be more hydrated!)
side note - a cup of coffee per day is okay though. I love coffee too and I totally feel you but don’t overdose on it, okay love?
some extra things to know about -
- have a companion to keep you accountable at the start.
- do have a laid-back day once in a while, you’re human after all.
- balance work and play. reward yourself for shit done.
keep track of your spending, earnings, investments, etc.
being a perfectionist. seriously, you dont need to rewrite all those
notes, trust me (comes from a
don’t stress yourself out. getting your shit together is a journey and not a result.
- remember, change will come. yes, it will; but only if you take action. start now.
also, on a side note - and this might seem very ironic, but sometimes you don’t have to have your shit together. life is always a mess and trust me when I say this, no one - yes no one - has their shit together and sometimes it’s worth it to lead a messy life and enjoy it without having any fixed rules and regulations like you would have if you wanted that perfect life. enjoy the life you lead and stay wonderful, loves!
the adulting 101 series
much love, Taylor (´｡• ᵕ •｡`) ♡