who is your favourite character in Greek literature?
dionysus in the bacchae every time hands down this decision is so easy its kind of embarrassing actually like @sophocles @aeschylus get on this level
runners-up in no particular order
- medea in the medea, like come on the agon? the women of corinth speech? the hero morality thing? i’ve seen like four different productions of this play and they all sucked because you need someone to get it and play her properly and that’s so fucking hard to do
- jason in the argonautica, fuckboy supreme
- antigone, like fun fact the antigone was the first piece of greek lit i ever studied and by this point i own maybe four different translations? (including the one i stole from my school classics department lmao) and like five different reinterpretations of it? and i still don’t like antigone! she’s the sort of person i would fucking hate to hang out with! i’ve read the play like four hundred times and seen four or five productions and i still. do. not. like. her. and yet! and yet i still own like eight different versions of her play and that’s why she makes it onto this list because you don’t like her but you do love her
- achilles like i hate everything about him! i hate his terrible decisions and his massive murderous hissy fits and the way he expresses his emotions by killing people and yelling at rivers and his big dumb shield and mostly i hate the way i dont hate him not even close not even a little bit not even at all
- orestes in euripides’ orestes. lol what a plank