Hey Phoe! I just wanted to tell you that I've read all your autistic headcanons and I've been excited like a fool with each of them? What's more, I had to share them with my bff here because they are so wonderful? You took me to another world! (and I'm not exaggerating), so I humbly dare to ask if you have some for Jason? I hope you don't feel this like a lawsuit! Anyway, I will not bother you any more and wish you a wonderful start to the week! (':
- this works because jason’s backstory is literally a goddamn mystery lmao
- jason always organizes his room the same way, and he won’t be able to properly sleep/live in it until he has time to organize it. he’s had to grow pretty flexible since he’s on so many quests and stuff, but like cabin one at camp half-blood was totally unknowingly rearranged into as close a fit as he could get it to his room at camp jupiter (beds on one side, personal objects in specific places, clothes stored in a certain way, etc etc)
- jason has cultivated a model image of himself as a leader at camp jupiter, and understandably finds himself falling back on the same routines/pattern of behavior (even without a memory. i rlly think Autistic Behavioral Patterns go deeper than memory bc u sorta like…absorb them into ur personality u know what i mean?)
- people tend to think he’s too “straight laced” or uptight or whatever (this is canon piper says this) but in actuality he just genuinely never learned how to. hang out
- i rlly feel very strongly about jason being sort of socially awkward and just genuinely having very little interpersonal skills at making small talk and like talking about topics that are. not about the end of the world lmao
- like he’s a totally different person in casual conversation than he is when the world is ending
- learning to be a leader is endlessly frustrating to him bc he knows he’s strange and skittish and quiet and that’s not the sort of person people look up to…how is he meant to be the Model Child of Jupiter?
- (ableism warning for this bullet) people assume his autistic traits are just a side effect of being dumped in the woods with wolves. he’s nonverbal as a child, and has very rigid body posture. so people just sorta go “oookay guess he’s a little…feral or something” (fun fact !!! that’s what real people used to think about disordered, disabled, and neurodivergent children :))) they’d be like “this kid is weird guess the fairies stole our baby and dropped this thing in it’s place” which is. horrifying)
- i have got to give jason some sort of positive role models here because the honest to god thought that he never had ANYONE before chb is just. very sad (not that cj wasn’t bad for jason in general but like come ON pls just let this abandoned toddler have SOME shred of happiness in his life)
- anyway the praetors who were praetors before jason and reyna took over become a very stable presence in his life. he models his behavior from watching them. he studies them closely and asks them as many questions as he needs, and they’re both lovely and very willing to answer.
- also he goes to elementary school in new rome and the teachers are pretty much all neurodivergent themselves and very used to working with neurodivergent kids, so they’re very helpful.
- his teachers don’t try and force him to talk and they make those cool little stim jars in arts and crafts and jason. still has it to this day.
- after the war reyna gets it from his room and sends it over to camp half-blood with nico and jason has never felt so happy and Understood it’s probably the kindest gesture he can remember someone ever doing for him wow
- nico grunts “i see why you like it so much” while he sticks it out for jason to take and jason feels quite validated and inexplicably happy to have his stim Approved by nico lmao
- (cue jason being like “I’LL SHOW YOU HOW TO MAKE ONE!!!! we’ll make a black one for you. with skulls in it. and myth-o-magic figures!!!!”. and nico rolls his eyes but. they do institute stim jars for a new arts and crafts activity at chb and nico makes. many)
- jason’s nonverbalness is sort of selective like sometimes it’ll happen when he’s very stressed out but he’s mostly verbal all the time. as a child though he was sort of selectively mute (like, had rules for where he would talk and where he wouldn’t…this isn’t particularly the autistic brand of nonverbalness, selective mutism is it’s own thing, but idk that’s what i was like as a toddler so whatever i’m projecting)
- anyway he doesn’t talk in the school building but he’ll talk with people he considers friends and in his bunk in the cohort, and as an older kid and a teenager he’s mostly completely verbal
- he does the monotone hum as a kid when he’s happy but the kids in his bunk/cohort/wherever-the-fuck-he-lived-for-most-of-his-life are always complaining about how annoying it is and he doesn’t even realize he’s doing it until they tell him to stop
- so he eventually sheds that habit, but then he hears reyna doing it and feels super happy and at home even if he’s not really much of a hummer himself anymore
- he barely ever has meltdowns, and if he does have one, it’s usually in that confusing weird limbo where ur like this might have been a meltdown but i still feel in control of myself so it’s a meltdown but not A Meltdown.
- deffffinitely though there are certain scrape-y noises that make him crazy and he feels those bad tingles all up his arm and his neck and ugh ugh ugh and then he starts doing the super rigid posture clenched teeth squeezed shut eyes thing if he can’t get away from it
- he hate s people chewing hates hates hates people chewing
- also he can’t eat cereal. he can’t eat cereal and he really cannot watch people eat cereal.
- he can’t eat cold things in general like. it either has to be cold enough to be freezing, like ice in a drink or ice cream, or it has to be room temperature. even if it’s meant to be served cold it absolutely must be room temperature or he’s not gonna have a real fun time eating it.
- has lifelong rigid posture…he starts getting teased about how straight he stands so he tries to slouch but when he feels like he’s slouching he actually doesn’t look like he’s slouching lol
- definitely a super physical stimmer. especially when he’s happy or feeling good he’s gotta pound it out. he’ll get like bursts of energy where he has to like sprint somewhere or something. he’s totally in his element when he’s training.
- and he usually has music blaring in his headphones while he’s doing this so he scares people whizzing past like a bullet with loud music lmao
anyway halfway through this stopped being tailored to his character and just became “which of my traits have i not projected yet” but OH WELL at least it’s authentic thanks for asking lol