Guys, I never expected in a million years, not only so much Cresswell in W&N, but SO MANY SHIPPER SCENES. And every single one was perfect. I wouldn’t change a thing! Just when I thought I couldn’t love Cresswell more:
- Cress calling Thorne “Carswell”. ^.^
- Thorne asking if Cress could use her hacking skills to his advantage at one point, and she goes, “I could. But I won’t.” and being all smug about it. Like, Cress wouldn’t do anything illegal just to please Thorne but Thorne isn’t even surprised. I’m sure similar scenes have already occurred before. I don’t know I just loved the whole panel.
- Them bantering about going to the gala. They are so cute and all sorts of adorable. I’m sure they couldn’t be cuter and more adorable if they tried. And it just shows how they interact in their relationship. I NEEDED THIS!!!
- The whole escort droid scene. Thorne going for the one that looks like Cress (because it’s modeled after her) and then totally falls in love … with the one that looks like him, haha. :D
- And seriously, can we talk about how Thorne looks when he thinks he angered Cress by suggesting going with “Cress”-bot instead? Cress is not a timid girl who can’t speak her mind. And Thorne is not the one who holds the power in the relationship. This is their post-“Winter” relationship and we got to see it!!!
- Thorne being all sorts of worried when Cress gets sick and takes care of her!!! THORNE - THE GUY WHO ONLY EVER LOOKED OUT FOR HIMSELF - TAKING CARE OF HIS GIRLFRIEND AND BEING ALL SORTS OF SWEET! *cries rainbow tears of joy* He prepared food “made with an extra helping of LOVE”! Like, this sentence is there and in black and white forever. I’m a hardcore Cresswell shipper and even I almost couldn’t handle the feels. *cries some more*
- Also, my poor pumpkin, always being sick. :( I mean it makes sense but still. But look at Thorne being all reassuring (“We still have our whole lives for me to show you the world”). Seriously, if any Cresswell shipper had been there with me, this would have been me:
I’m so sorry but I would have just screeched into your ears for hours, then cried and hugged you. Guys, our babies! Am I hallucinating? I was seriously scared to wake up and all of it was just an amazing dream BUT IT’S NOT!!!
- And then Thorne still goes on to say that “all the phlegm and mucus in the world couldn’t make [her] any less beautiful”!!!! *incoherent sounds*
- Thorne’s speech when he receives the medal and publicly announces what Cress means to him. “This medal is for you, Cress”. I don’t care anymore, I’m just screeching and fangirling but I think I deserve it. It’s like Marissa came down from some angel-rainbow-sunshine-island, floated to Earth just to give her loyal Cresswell shippers W&N, with harp music and a floaty dress. And she goes, “I’ve seen what you’ve been doing. The fanfics, the fanart, the headcanons. Yes, you and @lovelunarchron, and @regolithheart, and @shanlightyear and @nothingtoseehere-move-along (and I know I forgot tons of people so don’t be mad) but here, this is for you. You gave Cresswell life and now, Cresswell will give you life in return.” I mean the plan backfired, because now I’m dead instead, but I appreciate the sentiment. :P
- Thorne being worried, even frantic when he thinks something happened to Cress. “If you hurt her, I will skin you alive.” I live for this kinda Thorne who is so open and shows every raw emotion! *swoon*
- And then it’s Cress who saves the day because of course she does! Who would ever expect anything else? ^.^ And she’s so smart and Thorne likes his girls smart, we know that, we’ve seen it in CGTBL, so of course he has to kiss her (and she’s WEARING HIS SHIRT!). And give her his medal for “bravery and extraordinary heroism”. Guys, just bury me with these panels.
I’m now in happy Cresswell-shipper-fangirl heaven. I had one one-shot planned that would take place during the same time as W&N and while it’s not canon-compatible, I can still try to work in snippets and hints of what we see about their relationship. I’m so happy right now. My babies. ^.^
ok but who wants to talk about hester, her job as an art curator, her perception of oleta as art, and her perception of oleta as a human being…..
i feel like this podcast has a lot to say about how people are confused with objects, how people are CONFLATED with objects, and how hester very nearly buys into that, especially as she works at the Institute, which explicitly wants her to monitor people like she looks at art…..and how oleta, a black woman, has been reduced to an object by the Institute…….and how hester compares oleta to art……
there’s a big difference between, “You are a work of art, one among countless others. One to be analyzed, deconstructed, and understood,” and, “But a girl with a cloud of dark hair, a girl who laughs as if she’s getting away with something, should not be against a white wall. She belongs outside on an autumn day.”
and THEN there’s how hester observes and studies oleta, and how she watches her, like, idk, her gaze is important here. it’s her job. it’s a clinical gaze, it’s reducing oleta to an object. but hester–hester, not whatever her work-name is–cannot possibly look at oleta clinically. she cannot reduce oleta to an object to be monitored. idk, i just….it’s a lot to talk about.
“Endless, endless…don’t you see? This is what my destiny is!”
sh…rug? My dreams never make sense. Fever dreams, much less so. Micolash had some kind of final form in this one, where he was turning into a Great One. He kept fuckin’ talking, too. Like. He wouldn’t stop talking. Actually, he ended up being eaten by a Great One mid-sentence but he was pretty chill about it all.
Happy Birthday to Eustass "Captain" Kid of the Kid Pirates
“I slaughtered anyone and everyone who had the nerve to laugh at me…!! But from here on out… we’re gonna be sailing the sea where anyone without the nerve to say something like that is as good as dead…!! Let’s meet again, in the New World!!”