I’m gonna be honest. I hate mornings. I’ve always wanted to be a morning person – to wake up early and energized and hop out of bed with no problem. But, instead I wake up most mornings just wanting to go back to bed. Luckily, you don’t have to be a morning person to have a productive morning.
- Getting out of bed is the hardest part. Start with a realistic time to set your alarm – the days I set my alarm for 6 with good intentions are the days I turn it off and sleep way late. I’m much more likely to actually get out of bed if I set it for a little later.
- I like to use an app like Sleep Cycle that wakes you up gently.
- Or go old school and use an actual alarm clock, and kick your phone out of your room altogether.
- As soon as you get out of bed, get dressed and make up your bed. You’ll automatically feel more productive and you’ll be way less likely to go back to sleep.
first things first
- It’s hard to be productive on an empty stomach – eat some breakfast as soon as you feel up to it.
- I find it hard to eat in the mornings, so I’ll usually have a light snack of fruit with coffee when I first wake up, and then eat something a little heavier around 10.
- Get moving! whether it’s yoga, a quick run (i salute those of you who can run in the mornings), or just a couple jumping jacks.
- Get ready for the day before you get to work. This way you 1) feel more ~human~ and productive right off the bat and 2) won’t have to stop working to get dressed later when you’ve gotten into a groove.
get to work
- Check your planner and make plan for the day
- Get all your supplies and your space ready
- Fill up a water bottle so you can stay hydrated!
- Put away distractions (install a site blocker if you need to!)
- Put on some music that makes you feel happy
- Knock one or two little tasks off your list first, then go on to the hardest task/one you’re dreading
- Don’t forget regular breaks so you don’t feel burnt out by lunch!