Thoughts on 5x14: "Heart Failure"
I wasn’t expecting to be as excited as I was for the return of this show simply because we constantly get let down by it. BUT, I’ve been super psyched for weeks, and the return did not disappoint! There were a lot of things that I liked (and I really only have one gripe), but overall, I think I was just so damn happy to have so much Sharon in this one (and so much more than her simply being Rusty’s roommate).
- So far, I love the dynamic between Sharon and Winnie. I think this is the type of character that I can soooo love to hate (especially if she keeps treating my precious Sharon like that)! I’m not a fan of shows pitting women in positions of power against each other, but so far, this is working for me. I like what Winnie brings out in Sharon, and I’m hoping we see it evolve further. The boyfriend comment was a low blow (and borderline catty), but I think Winnie is trying to get in Sharon’s head. I can get onboard with that (for now).
- The punch felt around the fandom! Definitely didn’t see that coming! Wow! Kudos to Duff for going there, and major kudos to Mary for playing it so damn well that my face hurt when it was all said and done. I love when a show still manages to surprise me, and this definitely did! Of course, I also loved Andy’s reaction and the way Sharon was able to calm him. And then he walked with her to get her some ice. Awwwww! My shipper heart was very happy! Also loved the way the whole team was protective of her.
- So glad Sharon got into the interrogation and off of the sidelines. My favorite case scenes are always the ones where she plays an active role. Her showdown with that little creep was EPIC and certainly not one I’m going to forget anytime soon (even without the punch). Mary was INCREDIBLE in that scene!!!
- The Shandy was exactly what I expected, but cute. Hey, at this point, I take whatever scrap of a breadcrumb they give us since they’re so few and far between and very rarely the big, significant stuff. I basically go into each episode expecting zero and to be frustrated at the end b/c we heard about something in their relationship from a third party. Yeah, the bar’s that low. But, the kiss was sweet, and Andy’s thoughts about their relationship was cute. Thank god for Mary and Tony who always add a little something extra to make these very scant scenes that much sweeter.
- My only gripe was the way Andy’s heart attack (at least I’m assuming that’s what it was) was handled, or rather not handled. We’ve been waiting five months to know what happened and it was barely mentioned. I know, Sharon referenced his “light duty” and we saw Andy checking his blood pressure, but THAT’s it??! The man’s life was hanging in the balance when we last left and THAT’S IT!?!? I know Duff has teased more for later in these back eight, so I’m cautiously hoping that this gets fleshed out better as we continue through the season.
Overall, a fantastic start to these back 8! Looking forward to seeing what the rest have in store for us!