So I’m already seeing people play a game of telephone with Dream Daddy discourse
There’s people who are citing those who have been told by a friend of a friend who may or may not have played the game why it’s SUPER HOMOPHOBIC and how disappointed they are that they cannot buy it now etc all up in my gaming circles rn and it’s making me slowly lean my head against the wall and hum “Mad World” to myself, tbqh.
And not naming any names but there’s also half-truths and hyperbole going around from people who seem to mostly just not… like the game. Like, I’ve seen people say “it MUST be queerbaiting, bc I thought the game felt soulless, so they clearly don’t care about gay couples!” Like no, you just didn’t like the damn game.
So let’s clear up a couple things.
- Multiple people, including at least one writer, who worked on this game in important capacities are LGBT. This was not made by an “all cishet team”.
- There is no “cult ending”. There is a maybe-happening-maybe-not Halloween DLC (as confirmed by an artist who worked on the game, albeit not through official channels) that isn’t accessible in game at the moment but was found by data mining. Even if you think a parody ending involving jokey violence is inherently homophobic (spoiler: I think that’s stupid and limiting to LGBT media, go away), the context of it being halloween themed DLC puts a different framing on that altogether.
HALLOWEEN IS THE GAYEST FUCKIN HOLIDAY GUYS PLZ
- It’s not canon. Seriously. DD has no “bizarre twist”. It has an unused side-route that was horror themed.
- Any and all humour in the premise is just Dad jokes. There’s no goddamn gay jokes, guys. “It’s funny and gay and therefore homophobic!” is obnoxious as shit, sorry not every Big Ol’ Queer wants to live a pious, humourless existence. I’ve played through most of this game by now and it’s not got fucking gay jokes (or trans jokes) in it.
- There’s legit a good discussion to be had about the way Joseph’s ending plays into some uncomfortable tropes, but I’m gonna be honest, “never allow for anything except a 100% happy ending, for any character” is not a useful mindset to enter that discussion with. “It sucks that the character resembling some real-life experiences around being a closeted religious figure is the one who doesn’t get a ‘good ending’“ is closer to a good jumping off point.
- (Also, I see u all telling trans fans, fans of colour, etc not to get a game where they get treated decently bc you think the blonde Christian got the short end of the stick.)
- It’s short because it’s an £11 indie game not because They Don’t Care About The Gays or w/e jesus christ chill.
I keep coming back to the stupid “cult ending” bullshit bc it’s like, my guy, “lgbt people are often demonized so doing a joke route where someone is literally possessed is Bad” is allowed to be taken in a slightly different context when the followup is “also nobody important in this game is goddamn heterosexual and the actual content of the game is totally different to this”. Criticism of media isn’t supposed to be a binary checklist of “does or does not have [x]”, you’re supposed to engage with it using the context of the work. Can you- and lbr, a lot of this is coming from cishet allies- just CHILL and let us have a sense of HUMOUR once in a while.
anyway i played a trans dude dad and gay dated and gay fucked some dudes and had a blast, it was SWEET, dd is a fun game