Hi! Next year I'm going to live in France for Erasmus and it will be my first experience living alone (without my parents) and abroad. Could you give me some tips about it, please??
Omg this is so exciting!! Tbh I live in a residence hall so I can’t give you any advice on appartment and food related stuff
- Keep track of your expenses – you’d be surprised how fast money goes. You now have to buy simple stuff like toilet paper that your parents provided, and trust me, it adds up.
- Also it’s super easy to get carried away when you’re buying food and get a ton on crap but again, it adds up (specially junk food is super expensive?? like??). So I suggest you make a list of stuff you need before going to the store and stick to it.
- Preferably buy frozen stuff because it lasts longer.
- And know how long stuff lasts. For instance, eggs are usually only good for like 2 weeks, so don’t buy more than you know you can eat in that time.
- It’s better to go to the store several times than to overbuy.
- If you can learn to do laundry beforehand, that’s always good. Please separate your white and color clothes, I’ve seen so many catastrophes bc ‘oh it doesn’t matter! My clothes will be fine!’
- You can iron your clothes but tbh no one actually does that. Takes to much time. As long as you store stuff that tends to get wrinkly on hangers, it’ll sort itself out. The only exception may be skirts.
- There’ll be no one to tell you to get your ass to class and it’s so common to just stop caring. I have a post about that here.
- If possible, get a roommate/flatmate.
- It gets super lonely wihtout one, specially if it’s your first year living on your own.
- You’re going abroad so it’ll help to have omeone you can count on to go out with.
- Appartment expenses are so much cheaper when you split them up.
- It helps with going to class too. You kind of feel judged if you don’t
- And it sort of stops you from just lying around all day without doing anything.
your space clean is so important. Here are some tips. If you get a
roommate, agree on a cleaning plan.
- General posts on how to adult 1 & 2
- KEEP YOUR KEYS AND ID WITH YOU AT ALL TIMES.
- Take care of your health insurance bc no one’s going to do it for you. This is really fucking important bc you don’t realize that if for instance you have a fever, you’re gonna need a doctor’s note and you’re not going to get it if you don’t have a doctor to go too (but if it happens, go to the emergency room. They’ll probably give you a long speech about how you should go to your doctor for this stuff but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ).
- Don’t hole up in your room!! Especially if you’re going abroad, go see stuff!!
- On the same note, it’s not weird to go out by yourself. If you wanna go somewhere, go. You don’t need a roommate or a friend every single time.
- Get your bank account stuff arranged omg. Also, I’d definitely suggest getting a debit card because that way your parents can send you money. But also!! Avoid using the card itself as much as possible. It’s better to go to an ATM and get cash because otherwise you don’t realize how much money you’re spending and it’s super easy to go crazy.
- Get a hamper, a water boiler and mugs, all the mugs. You will use them for everything – water, tea, coffee, mug cakes, mashing stuff…
- And lastly, don’t hesitate to call your parents for advice. You may live alone but you’re not on your own. I can’t tell you the number of times a week I call my mom for advice on Adult Stuff.
Hope that helped! And have fun next year!!