The Visual Differences Between Cronus and Eridan Ampora
Because I was bored and I’m sick of people saying they look identical.
Unfortunately, for maximum accuracy… I’ll be using the old Eridan talksprite as well.
- Eridan has epicanthic folds, and Cronus clearly doesn’t. In both talksprites, Eridan’s epicanthic folds are even emphasized.
- Though his eyes are tilted up overall, Eridan’s outer corners very clearly takes a downward tilt in both talksprites, whereas Cronus’ tilt up.
- Though the top sprite is the only one that shows it, Eridan’s eyebrows are much thinner than Cronus’.
- Cronus’ face is longer and thinner than Eridan’s- though this might be due to both less weight overall and older age.
- Eridan’s lips, in both talksprites, are clearly defined, and Cronus’ are not. This could be due to art style, though.
- Cronus has dual scars, while Eridan does not.
- Eridan has defined bags under his eyes, while Cronus’– if he has them at all– are subtle
- Eridan always has glasses.
- Most curiously, even their horns are different. Cronus’ both face back, are rather rounded and even seem to point inward, while Eridan’s are quite pointed and stick out to the sides. I wasn’t able to check if this was just an art style difference, since the only panel of Dualscar we have barely shows his horns.
- Eridan clearly slouches in the first sprite. Cronus does not.
My personal theory is that they look so different because a resemblance to your respective ancestor is determined by the strength of your quadrants.
… Or, it could just be because Cronus was based off the fandom’s interpretation of Eridan, to a certain degree.